Growing hair WITHOUT protective styling?

Did you grow your hair using COMPLETELY protective styles?

• Yes, I used ONLY completely protective styles where my hair was not exposed or touching fabrics.

Votes: 60 26.1%
  • Kinda, I did protective styles, but not consistantly and/or I relied on roller sets more than buns.

Votes: 88 38.3%
  • No. I grew my hair just fine and I wore my hair how ever I felt like wearing it.

Votes: 82 35.7%

• Total voters

SandySea

You all are making me want to run and take my braids out!! I have fine hair, and too much of any style (braids, buns, etc.) causes my hair to break in the strangest areas. The times that my hair has thrived the most were when I'd just wear it in rollersets or my trademark up-do's. I've been wearing braids since feb. and I think I'm going to abandon that to let my hair breath. I do miss feeling my hair blowing in the wind.

Hidden_Angel

I like protective styles because i can see my growth! im natural so thats always nice to see how much ive grown since I've sarted growing it. I normaly stay in braids because i want to be able to use MN in myh air and i MTG when im in korrnrows

prettypuff1

Man i can't do it. I was trying out buns, but my edges broke off so bad... Don't even get me started on the braids and weaves... I am still nursing my temples back to health... Some people can do it, but I have very very very very fine hair, that likes to hang and be free.. I do use chinese hair sticks sometimes, but that is rare. I rollerset and that is all

Ladyhenri

From all the research i have done, i feel it makes sense that hair should be worn up untill after shoulder length...i have stuck rigidly to this. But then i experiment a lot and have never done a bun. I mostly do loose phony ponies that look like my natural hair (ie the one in my avatar). My edges are in good condition so i dont worry too much about straight edges. And since my hair is NEVER pulled tight, i dont have to worry about my hair line getting damaged.

When my hair grows to APL, i will wear it down more often, but i will still do my trusted baggy once in a while to ensure that my hair stays in good condition

Last edited:

growinglong777

I wear protective styles on weekdays, and my hair is flowing on the weekends.. but now I am in the hide your hair until July 4 challenge, so now it will be protected in a french twist or phony pony until then.

ekomba

I now wear my hair out more but in the house its always in protective styles except that i dont do any more cornrows or braids but mainly one ponytail tucked it in or one braided ponytail tucked in and always a scarf inside the house. i guess it s an habit. I would not have been able to retain all that length that i grew so fast if it were not for protective styles and no heat. now i do use heat once a week and can go without using any for a week or 2 if i have no important meetings but keep the hair sleeked in a bun or ponytail. I think as it grows longer and get past shoulder length it s easier to use less protective styling but as a rule of thumb if i m home alone the hair is always covered lol. habits die hard haha:lol:

LovelyZ

prettypuff1 said:
i gave up on the protective styling. I hate buns/ ponytails. They make my head look big and i don't do them well... For me i think getting rid of the direct heat is enough. It is just hair, and while i want it to grow, i refuse to look like crap while doing it.

This is the issue for me. I feel like my hair retains length when its bunned daily, BUT, in the meantime my appearance suffers because buns are sooo boring and I can't enjoy my hair.

honeybadgirl

in the past or all my life really, either way did alright by me. i would mostly say wearing protective styles had more results because after not "seeing" my hair for long periods of time, i would see results of it.

Last edited:

SvelteVelvet

I seem to retain more length not doing any protective styles. It may be "watching the pot" as far as my perception of my growth is concerned but it does eventually 'boil'. It's noticeable but I probably don't really really notice until that next relaxer comes but yes it does grow without protective styles. I wrap it everyday and if its a day I'm not going anywhere then it'll stay wrapped all day so I guess that's protective. I also wrap lightly, never experience breakage or thinning from that. For the most part I always wear my hair out, if it isn't in individuals for a few weeks or months, and I think I've given those up for good.

FAMUDva

lauren450 said:
I thought I had voted already, but I hadn't. I never wear protective styles.

Your hair looks GREAT!

I forgot all about this thread, but it is inspirational reading through it. Since I first asked the question, I've started wearing my hair how ever I want to and it's still growing and retaining length. I just have to go back to stepping back from the heat. I rarely use heat, but over the last month I've used it at least twice which is unheard of for me.

I'm happy with my progress and I'm finally happy with not feeling like I'm a slave to my hair. :)

ChasingBliss

la flaca said:
The only thing I've always done is rollerset and sleep with a high ponytail/bun.When my hair is dirty a bun is the only way too go:lol: Now I see it was good for my hair and did not even knew.

I think rollerset is is the best for growing healthy hair IMHP:yep: :yep:

Ps.: mu siggy is an example monday (first piscture) by wednesday(last picture)
As someone who has been bunning since 2003 and is ready for a change, I am starting to consider the bolded. I am seeing some beautiful, gorgeous heads on this board who rollerset only. Im also noticing amongst this select few that their hair is thick from root to ends. Not long and thinned out. I like that. I think for the first time in years I am going to change up my style regimen. I'm in the planning stages, I want to do every thing just right.

ChasingBliss

Pokahontas said:
I have never done protective styles and still don't. I wear my hair however I want. However when I'm at home and when I go to bed I do keep my hair protected at all times.

Your hair is simply beautiful.

If I leave the buns alone, i would definitely continue to protect at home and at nights.

gloomgeisha

My first year and a half being natural I didn't wear any protective styles and while I assumed my growth retention didn't suffer from that I think I was mistaken. Since I've incorporated protective styles into my regimen my hair has definitely flourished and I've retained more length.

Not to mention I don't get as frustrated as I used to constantly doing wash-n-gos. The amount of hair that I have now, if I had to co-wash and apply gel everyday, I'd go insane.

caribeandiva

Human being
i don't ever do protective styles. i wear my hair however i want. i usually put it up cause i'm too lazy to do anythinh to it. that's all.

AKA-Tude

I'm not fond of protective styles, so I wear my hair out most of the time.

In the event I get hot (over here = all the time) I will clamp it up.

I have tried buns, rollersets, etc, but 'me just no likey'.

tocktick

braids used to work for me really well at one point and then after a while i stopped reatining length with it.

I'm finding myself in a similar situation. Braids were terrific for me but the extensions do not blend as well with my hair as it gets longer and I feel too much of my real hair is exposed. I still retain but not without increasing single strand knots and dryness. I'm at a stage where I don't necessarily need braids to retain because I've worked out the kinks in my regimen. The only thing I'll miss is the ease of them and having that surprise when I take the braids down after 2-3 months and see just how much my hair has grown.

From now on, I'll be doing twistouts, puffs and banding my hair until it's long enough for a big, full bun. Unlike many people here it seems, I actually do want to wear buns most of the time once my hair is long enough (and maybe have 2-3 days of the week when it's not).

MizzBrit

i personally think PS styles helped grow my hair and transition to natural..i dont wear them back to back like i used to..well i do..but i let my hair rest for a couple more weeks.i also PS when i dont feel like being bothered with my real hair. any 4b natural knows how frustrating it can get.

lalaland88

I didn't really use protective styles, or any style for that matter. When it comes to styling I do almost nothing w/ my hair except for put it in a puff at the back of my head but maybe this is a kind of protective style since it's not touching my clothes?

Amcd

I don't do protective styles because I like to enjoy the length of my hair (APL). When I do wash my hair it is rollerset 95% of the time, because my old hairstylist would only blow dry it for special occasions because she does not like to put that much heat on her clients hair. I'm learning to rollerset it myself now since I've moved to Maryland and I'm getting pretty good. I like to see my hair so I wear it out or in a ponytail when I'm too busy with the kids.

camilla

I am relaxed i do protective every other week. Half wig one week wrap the next,twist out one week rollerset the next i am almost bsl since i started deep condtioning twice a week.
Lately i have been wearing it it twist outs since i work out and sweat alot, cowash air dry 70% twist and sleep....

shandaw

The verdict is still out for me. I have only been on this healthy hair journey since July and yes, I have been bunning since then. I am bored as hell with buns but I will try it for a while and if no results go to something else. The good thing for me is that I have been rollersetting my hair for yrs and I do a good job, as long as I let it dry completely. But honestly, lately I just don't feel like wet setting my hair it is to time consuming to me. I hate to sit under the dryer.

but what I do sometimes is when I get it done she sets it and puts it up in the back with pretty curls. I get tons of compliments when I wear my hair like that. that's an option.

MonPetite

Relaxed, texlaxed and natural I never protective styled and have no issues retaining length. I DID keep my hair up for 2 months a year (relaxed and texlaxed, I'm now natural) to protect it from the mid-western winter (more accurately, my coats). Other than that, however, I want to enjoy my hair at every stage and prefer it out. I have no intentions of protective styling as a natural.

The most important thing is to do what works for you...the LHCF motto. ^_^

Sexy over 40

It is my personal opinion that you do not have to wear protective styles in order to grow your hair. I have never relied on protective styles and besides, I love the freedom to wear my hair in any style I choose. Here's my secret though... I use Bronner Brothers Carrot Oil Hair Strengthner to seal my ends EVERYDAY no matter what style I wear! It works wonders- no split ends for me! :grin:

Last edited:

goodmorningruby

I wear my hair up 99.9% of the time simply because leaving it out bothers me. And I hate snagging. I have yet to master rollersetting, but after I perform my touch up in January I will be getting on that. My hair is not past shoulder length yet, but I'm sure once it's arm pit length or longer, it will be worn out more often.

LiberianGirl

I like buns and even braids for protective styling. I do not think weaves are effective protective styling option.