Question?

mstee eyes

I know that this out on this site somewhere but I need to ask any way. I want to use a Lye relaxer the next time I relaxe in September. I have always used No-Lye is there anything special I need to know about using Lye instead of No-lye? :confused: Also, has anyone ever tried Proclaim Lye relaxer this is one of the brands they sale at Sally's...:p

shunta

Hey, I just went through this myself. After years of getting no-lye relaxers, I finally decided to go lye. I just let my stylist retouch my new growth even though I heard that a corrective relaxer could be done, which would be relaxing the whole head. Needless to say, I was too chicken to relax my whole head again so Im just going to keep retouching my new growth and let my no-lye grow out gradually. Im sure it will take a year or two but I dont care. As long as my roots are going to be healthy, I can live with that.:)

mstee eyes

shunta said:
Hey, I just went through this myself. After years of getting no-lye relaxers, I finally decided to go lye. I just let my stylist retouch my new growth even though I heard that a corrective relaxer could be done, which would be relaxing the whole head. Needless to say, I was too chicken to relax my whole head again so Im just going to keep retouching my new growth and let my no-lye grow out gradually. Im sure it will take a year or two but I dont care. As long as my roots are going to be healthy, I can live with that.:)

I agree with you I want my roots to be healthy, but I keep hearing good things about Lye relaxers. I am so scared that I going to do something that will mess my hair up:(

shunta

What makes you want to switch to lye? If no- lye is working for you, then just stick with it. The reason I switched is because my hair was always dry and I never knew until recently that it was my no-lye relaxer. But no-lye does work well for some. There are lots of ladies on this board with beautiful, healthy hair, and they use no-lye. So, its really all about what works best for the individual's needs. I really hope this helps. I see that you just joined last month, and I did, too. Well Im sure we will find what works for us in due time!! :p

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm switching to no lye because lye never gets my hair strait. I hope all goes well w yr touch up.

When I switched from No-Lye to Lye I just had the roots relaxed. One difference I see is that No-Lye always had my hair bone-straight, but thin. Lye keeps my hair thick, but not necessarily bone-straight.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
In the past, I've always relaxed with Gentle Treatment No-Lye, but one day in January, I came across the Silk Elements Lye relaxer and bought it. I've been using Lye ever since.

Oh, I just remembered. I have used Lye once or twice in the past, it was Optimum, but all of my other relaxers 90% of the time were No-Lye...until now.

shunta

redRiot said:
When I switched from No-Lye to Lye I just had the roots relaxed. One difference I see is that No-Lye always had my hair bone-straight, but thin. Lye keeps my hair thick, but not necessarily bone-straight.
Yeah, me too. I wonder why lye relaxers dont get the hair that straight. At first, I thought it was the relaxer (Elasta qp lye in mild) but maybe thats just normal. Anyhow, I still dont plan on going back to no lye. I will just deal with it.:ohwell:

mstee eyes

Thank you ladies that is the kind of information I was looking for. When I use no-lye my hair just lays there no matter what I do to it . I just want my hair managable not bone straight:) By the way your hair looks great ..I love your curls;)