I want to switch from No-Lye to Lye, Will Lye Relaxers give get me Bone Straight?

outspokenwallflower

Hi everyone! I'm 4b relaxed with color. I've only ever used No-Lye relaxers, but I'm a bit curious about Lye relaxers. I know they are supposed to be harsher on the scalp and gentler on the hair but my question is whether a lye relaxer could get my hair bone straight the way that I like it AND for those who have tried both no-lye and lye, what was your preference and why? How was the transition process?

Lastly, I know having colored hair is risky with any relaxer, but will it be a particular problem with a lye relaxer or no more so than with no lye?

LaidBak

As a self relaxer I could never get a lye relaxer to get me to bone straight, but I can do it easily with no-lye. But that may simply reflect more on my self-relaxing skills. When I go to the salon I honestly have no idea what they are using on my hair. When they ask me if I have a preference I say no. But 99% of the time I get bone straight from a salon visit.

beloved1bx

I used to use no-lye relaxers all the time because i burn really easily, but i tried a new stylist in March and she used Mizani Butterblends Lye and it did relax my hair bone straight (and somehow magically she didn't burn my scalp either).

irsgirl

I recently did some research on lye vs. no lye relaxers. I always thought because it said no lye it would be better for my hair, but that is not the case. no lye relaxers causing some kind of calcium build up on the hair and that can cause problems. I read that the no lye formula needs to be rinsed out several times or it will continue to relax your hair.
I am also thingking about going back to lye relaxer. I searching for the best line with a mild strength.

coyacoy

I am natural now but used to use no lye relaxers until i switched to lye on a whim....used mizani butterblend and had no problems

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3