Question about care after aphogee 2 step.

majinbuu252

Merry Christmas yall.

I have a quick question. I did an aphogee 2 step the day before yesterday for the first time ever. I really liked my results and my hair looks and feels like a different head of hair.

So anyway, I usually do a protein treatment once or twice a month (mayo & egg, ao gpb) but should i or do you still do your regular protein treatments after you do this?

This is what I use regularly:

Shampoo: Suave naturals or CON argan oil
Conditioner: Suave coconut, KC knot today
DC: Kerapro very dry
Moisturizer: shea moisture smoothie
Oil: coconut and grapeseed

Thanks in advance

lamaria211

No I wouldn't do a regular protein treatment after a hardcore treatment. I usually follow up with a moisture DC afterwards.

majinbuu252

lamaria211 thanks for the reply but I mean do I need to do my monthly protein treatment for next month even though I just did 2 step. Or would it be better to not worry about protein so much

lovebug10

I would say see how your hair feels. Right now you feel the difference in strength of your hair. Instead of going by a strict calendar just keep reassessing the state of your hair. If in a month you feel like the strength of your hair has diminished then maybe try a lighter protein like apogee 2 min. If that doesn't help then maybe you should wait a few weeks and do a harder protein like the aphogee two step. You might even find that after a month you don't even need a protein at all. If you're consistent like this then eventually you'll be able to time it better and figure out about when Your hair starts to need protein.

Just be sure you don't use aphogee 2 step more than 1 time every 6 weeks. I used to use it every 4 weeks though and my hair was fine but I'm sure people on the boards would disagree.

Sholapie

My hair loves protein. I use the 2 step every 6 weeks and lighter protein treatments between. I do make sure to dc with moisture rich deep conditioners.

lamaria211

lamaria211 thanks for the reply but I mean do I need to do my monthly protein treatment for next month even though I just did 2 step. Or would it be better to not worry about protein so much

It honestly depends on your hair meaning how much protein your hair needs and likes. And again what type of light protein condish your using ie Aphogee 2 min or Giovanni's Nutrafix or GPB? Those to me are all light enough to use a month after a hardcore treatment. Hth

southerncitygirl

majinbuu252

I have used aphogee 2 step followed by aubreys gbp with no issues but my hair loves lots of ceramides, moisture and protein and I have never suffered any imbalances. As stated see what your hair needs and if you are not really sure use moisture based conditioners sometimes I also use aubreys j.a.y or hsr. I prefer komaza protein strengthener to aphogee 2 step and usually use it every 4-6 weeks.:yep: I see a difference/improvement in curl definition and detangling even if i need a trim.

I also use aubreys condtioners as a weekly washing staple rotating btw the ones i listed. I have used gbp weekly with no issues.

Last edited:

Nomadiclady

majinbuu252

I have used aphogee 2 step followed by aubreys gbp with no issues but my hair loves lots of ceramides, moisture and protein and I have never suffered any imbalances. As stated see what your hair needs and if you are not really sure use moisture based conditioners sometimes I also use aubreys j.a.y or hsr. I prefer komaza protein strengthener to aphogee 2 step and usually use it every 4-6 weeks.:yep: I see a difference/improvement in curl definition and detangling even if i need a trim.

I also use aubreys condtioners as a weekly washing staple rotating btw the ones i listed. I have used gbp weekly with no issues.

Longtime lurker coming out of the woodwork to say I'm glad I read your post because I bought Komaza Care's protein [black fri sale]. I definitely wanted to replace Aphogee 2 step before 2013. I look forward to using it.

Pennefeather

Ladies, I'm going to do my first treatment this weekend, and I have a couple of questions.

How long does it take for the first step to dry under the dryer?
Do I need to detangled before starting?
Should I use a clarifying shampoo?
Can I deep condition afterwards-if yes, should I use the second step before I deep condition?
What should my hair feel like afterwards?
Do you recommend using a sprayer for part 1?

I wanted to use Nexxus Emergencee, but I can't find it, so I'm going to use Aphogee instead. I haven't used a hard protein in about ten years, so I'm a little nervous. Plus all the Aphogee info keeps stressing that this for professionals.

Last edited:

MrsMe

Ladies, I'm going to do my first treatment this weekend, and I have a couple of questions. How long does it take for the first step to dry under the dryer? Do I need to detangled before starting? Should I use a clarifying shampoo? Can I deep condition afterwards-if yes, should I use the second step before I deep condition? What should my hair feel like afterwards? Do you recommend using a sprayer for part 1? I wanted to use Nexxus Emergencee, but I can't find it, so I'm going to use Aphogee instead. I haven't used a hard protein in about ten years, so I'm a little nervous. Plus all the Aphogee info keeps stressing that this for professionals.

Pennefeather It's funny that you bumped this thread. I'm DCing right now after doing the 2-step treatment. Answers below.

-How long does it take for the first step to dry under the dryer?
It took me 30-35 minutes today and my ends were still kind of mushy.

-Do I need to detangled before starting?
I did detangle after my shampoo. That's the first time I actually did that today. Usually I skip that step but after re-reading the directions I de tangled before and smoother the first step with a comb while my hair was still wet.

-Should I use a clarifying shampoo?
I don't use one personally but I've read on other forums that it helps with the process. I use my regular shampoo (Creme of Nature scalp relief shampoo)

- Can I deep condition afterwards-if yes, should I use the second step before I deep condition?
I am deep conditioning now. I used the second step for 2 min then my DC (As I Am). I've skipped the DC before and my hair was extremely dry after that.

-What should my hair feel like afterwards? I'm not sure if it's the norm but my hair feels soft and strong. It feels as if my strands are thicker and for some weird reason my hair gets darker, back to its healthy color.

- Do you recommend using a sprayer for part 1? I personally wouldn't recommend it because you don't want to accidentally spray it in your eyes. It is messy indeed but what helps me is sectioning my hair prior to application so it is easier to manage.

I was nervous about using it (again) too because I had never done it on my own. 8 years ago my ex-SIL helped me. I don't regret it and my hair loves it. Just read and re-read the instructions, watch videos and if necessary get somebody to help you as you do it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad...excuse the typos. I don't get mentions on the app. :( PM me for a faster response

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Pennefeather

How long does it take for the first step to dry under the dryer?
I've never really timed it but if I had to guess, I would say between 20-25 minutes.

Do I need to detangled before starting?
I usually finger detangle before hand with coconut oil no matter what I do when I know I'm going to be wetting my hair so I'll say yes.

Should I use a clarifying shampoo?
I clarify before each treatment as I feel the treatment penetrates my strands better when there are no other products on the hair. If you don't want to clarify, just a regular shampoo that will clean your hair good should be fine.

Can I deep condition afterwards-if yes, should I use the second step before I deep condition?
I've used the 2nd step and left in it for up to an hour for extra moisture and my hair turned out fine. I've also skipped the 2nd step and just used a moisturizing deep conditioner overnight and my hair felt the best doing the latter.

What should my hair feel like afterwards?
It really depends on the condition your hair is in. The top crown of my hair is color treated with bleach and I have about 6-7 inches of relaxed ends. Those areas that are chemically treated always feel strong and the natural areas of my hair feels strong but soft if that makes sense.
Do you recommend using a sprayer for part 1? Yes!!!!

To sum it up:
1) Finger detangle with coconut oil and divide hair in 4 sections
2) Clarify hair while still in sections
3) Spray and saturate each section and clip up with a long duckbill metal clip so that the hair is at the top of your head. This ensures that the ends of your hair gets hard under the dryer as well.
4) Sit under hooded dryer until hair is hard
5) Stand under shower stream until ALL product is rinsed out. Do not rub to get the product out...wait until your hair is soft to the touch
6) Deep condition for an hour or overnight
7) I normally style my hair in 2 goddess braids after to let it rest for a few days.

Caution: *If you have an open wound on your hands, neck, face or scalp...wait until it has healed before doing the treatment. The treatment I did last month, I had an open wound from a pimple I had been picking at it burned so bad! Also keep a damp face towel around so you can wipe your face as it will run down. It will burn as well if it gets in your eyes!

Last edited:

Pennefeather

Now I understand why I keep seeing people saying that the two step made their hair "strong". I think that strong is just another way of saying not moisturized or rough. Even with using the two minute balance conditioner , ten minutes with fenugreek/rosemary oil under heat and twenty minute w Darcy pumpkin conditioner under heat, my hair still does not feel soft.

I hope that some softness returns after I deep conditioning this weekend. The ends seem to be affected the most. My strand are wiry feeling.