protective styling-washday=shedding?

Sunnrayy

Hey Ladies,
I have been wearing a protective bun for the past two weeks. I havent done much combing the past two weeks just a bit of finger combing and smoothing the hair down with my hands to make the bun each morning.

Well even before washing started. I did a pre-wash treatment with a non-protein cholesterol and oil. I noticed a lot shedding then. But I thought...hey you havent combed your hair at all so it must be dead hairs coming out.

But it continued for the entire wash especially when I was roller setting. I love my giovanni products so I don't think it was these. My hair turned out great as far as really soft with body but there was soooo much shedding or dead hair:ohwell:

So what do you ladies think? Just dead hairs? or a shedding problem I need to handle? Has anyone else experienced this when wearing protective styles. As well I didnt wash for two weeks. I am trying to wash every two weeks.

Thanks

hillytmj

Hello, I just did a detailed description on how to prevent shedding on wash day. I'm not sure what all you are doing, but it sounds like your techniques may be contributing to the problem. I say this because I used to have the same problems and that's why I only washed every two weeks (not sure if this is your same reason for washing every two weeks).

A few quick questions:
*Where do you wash your hair? In the shower, in the kitchen sink, bathtub?
*At what point do you detangle?
*Do you wash in sections or do you wash it all at once?
*When you rollerset, is your hair completely saturated (i.e. wet) during the entire process?

itsdiddy

I shed a bit too but I think its just dead hairs. The thing I noticed is that its MUCH better to comb very gently daily then to go several days with out combing. When my hair is done (straight) I only comb to wrap and unrap. When I'm doing the funky wavy curly thing, I'll comb when I moisterize at night. I've noticed that the shedding has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced on wash day. And while washing, I only comb during the conditioner par and when the water is running through.

Lastly, I don't think washing every two weeks is doing anything for your hair... I used to wash every two weeks and my hair was not dying or anything but I co wash at least 1-2x a week and shampoo every other week now and my hair is in WAYYY better condition.... Hope I'm a little helpful :)

msa

It's normal to shed up to 100 hairs per day. So, all that shedding you saw was just built up over time since you didn't manipulate your hair and get it out daily. Shedding is a normal part of the hair growth cycle. And with over 200,000 hairs on your head, shedding a couple hundred isn't a big deal.

NikStarrr

It's normal to shed up to 100 hairs per day. So, all that shedding you saw was just built up over time since you didn't manipulate your hair and get it out daily. Shedding is a normal part of the hair growth cycle. And with over 200,000 hairs on your head, shedding a couple hundred isn't a big deal.

Yep. :yep: What she said...

growinstrong

yeah, its just normal shedding. I only comb/wash 1x per week and before I wash, I detangle. I see maybe 25-35 strands, but after I shampoo, condition and then detangle, I see maybe 125-150 stands. I dont count, but I'm just doing an estimate :ohwell:. So, taking worse case scenarios, 35+150 stands, leaves me with 185 strands for the whole week. That's way less than the 700 I'm supposed to lose and even less than half of what I'm supposed to lose in one week (350 strands). If you're not noticing thinning or bald spots, I wouldnt worry about :nono:. I know its a little overwhelming because it was 2 weeks worth of shedding, but I'm sure your worries is just that. Do you have a pic of the shedding so maybe we can get a better idea of what you're seeing?

Sunnrayy

Hello, I just did a detailed description on how to prevent shedding on wash day. I'm not sure what all you are doing, but it sounds like your techniques may be contributing to the problem. I say this because I used to have the same problems and that's why I only washed every two weeks (not sure if this is your same reason for washing every two weeks).

A few quick questions:
*Where do you wash your hair? In the shower, in the kitchen sink, bathtub?
*At what point do you detangle?
*Do you wash in sections or do you wash it all at once?
*When you rollerset, is your hair completely saturated (i.e. wet) during the entire process?

* In the shower
*I detangle under the shower with conditioner on
*I wash in 4 sections
*My hair is completely saturated when rollersetting
oh and the reason for the washing every two weeks is for me I believe less manipulation=more growth. Whenever I get braids which is totally no manipulation my hair grows like crazy so I figure if I leave it alone in protective styling I will have the same kind of results. When I take my braids out its crazy shedding or dead hairs coming out so I'm thinking the same principle applies here
Thanks for the advice:drunk:

Last edited:

Sunnrayy

I shed a bit too but I think its just dead hairs. The thing I noticed is that its MUCH better to comb very gently daily then to go several days with out combing. When my hair is done (straight) I only comb to wrap and unrap. When I'm doing the funky wavy curly thing, I'll comb when I moisterize at night. I've noticed that the shedding has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced on wash day. And while washing, I only comb during the conditioner par and when the water is running through.

Lastly, I don't think washing every two weeks is doing anything for your hair... I used to wash every two weeks and my hair was not dying or anything but I co wash at least 1-2x a week and shampoo every other week now and my hair is in WAYYY better condition.... Hope I'm a little helpful :)

Thanks! I believe the every two weeks help me a bit more because it = less manipulation for me. The combing every day is a thought though:yep:

Sunnrayy

You know what I think this is exactly right. Its like when I have braids TONS of hair comes out after because its dead hair. I did have my hair up without combing for two weeks so its only natural that hair was coming out. :yep:

Sunnrayy

yeah, its just normal shedding. I only comb/wash 1x per week and before I wash, I detangle. I see maybe 25-35 strands, but after I shampoo, condition and then detangle, I see maybe 125-150 stands. I dont count, but I'm just doing an estimate :ohwell:. So, taking worse case scenarios, 35+150 stands, leaves me with 185 strands for the whole week. That's way less than the 700 I'm supposed to lose and even less than half of what I'm supposed to lose in one week (350 strands). If you're not noticing thinning or bald spots, I wouldnt worry about :nono:. I know its a little overwhelming because it was 2 weeks worth of shedding, but I'm sure your worries is just that. Do you have a pic of the shedding so maybe we can get a better idea of what you're seeing?

I will post a pic soon. I still have the shed hair on the sink. Now that I look at it this morning though. It doesnt seem like much:nono: