Cant stop the shedding

Monaleezza

I currently have nr BSL relaxed hair.
And whatever I do I can't seem to stop the shedding.

I've done protein, deep conditioning, co-washing, moisturising, baggying, protective styling, air-drying, not combing... I'm trying it all!!

I lose hair when I wash, when I detangle, when I restyle!

image-3634139565.jpg

In particular, when washing I have loose hairs with knots hanging off my ends that I have to pull on.

I don't know what more I can do.
Ladies, I need you.

Wow, do you think you are allergic to something maybe? Are you taking any new medications? Not to scare you, but maybe you should get checked out by a doctor just to make sure everything is okay b/c it sounds like you've tried everything. Are you sure that it's shed hair? Maybe it's the type of relaxer you are using? I hope you figure it out/fix it soon :( maybe a coffee (or is it tea?) rinse will help. I don't know the specifics, but I think some ladies use coffee rinses to help with shedding. I think garlic is supposed to be helpful, too. Hopefully some other ladies will chime in.

Are you postpartum? If so it comes with the territory. If not I would second the tea and garlic suggestions. Also see your doctor because sometimes thyroid issues have excessive shedding as a symptom.

I had this problem for a long time. No matter what I did, my hair fell. Amazingly aphogee didn't work. Neither did tea rinses and other popular remedies so after much research, I started doing the below:-

• Pre-poo with a mix of aloe vera juice, castor oil and coconut oil for 1 hour.
  • Wash with a mild shampoo once.
  • Apply a egg/mayo mix - 2 eggs, a cup of mayonnaise and 1/3 cup of EVOO. I leave this in for 2 hours, then rinse out and DC with a variety of conditioners.
I do this while my hair is in twists. I've been following this for about 2 months and there has been a great improvement in the shedding. I'm natural by the way. I also started drinking bamboo tea everyday and taking hair, skin and nails supplements.

I'm so sorry that this is happening to you. I have the same problem too. My hair sheds no matter what I do. Is your hair thick? Some say if you have thick hair you might shed more hairs. Also, someone wrote that shed hairs is a sign that your hair is growing. Is the pic from washing your hair? Do you have a thyroid condition? Have you started any new meds? How often are you detangling? Have you noticed any bald spots?

As I said, my hair shreds like crazy and no matter what I try it still sheds. The black tea rinses have slowed down my shedding but I still shed alot:spinning: My shedding is b/c #1 I have a Thyroid Condition & #2 My medication #3 I have really thick hair.

Suggestions:
*Black Tea Rinses
*Garlic Shampoo/Conditioner
*Garlic Supplements
*Protein Treatment
*Biotin (it help me alittle)
*See your doctor

I have attached some pics of my shed hairs. I know it's crazy but for 2mths I had collected my shed hairs to put into perspective of my shedding problem and to show my doctor. What I learned was that my hair is gonna shed and as long as I'm not balding I'm good:drunk:
The 1st pic is from the shower (this is since using the black tea rinses)
The other pics are my shedding for the month of August & September

Attachments

• hair from shower.jpg
    hair from shower.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 71
  • SEPT HAIR SHED.jpg
    SEPT HAIR SHED.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 71
  • SHED HAIR FROM AUGUST.jpg
    SHED HAIR FROM AUGUST.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 68
I've been having crazy shedding too lately. I've started taking a hair, skin & nails vitamin to help with this. My hair responded really well to Nioxin vitamins in the past. Currently I'm taking the GNC brand (since the Nioxin was temporarily discontinued).

I really want my hair to hurry and thicken up. I can't even do twists b/c they would just look ridiculous (to me).

Eta:

I don't think I'll be posting a pic of my shed hair. I lose way more hair than is pictured in this thread. But I do try to keep things in perspective. My hair is a bit past WL (longer than the pic in my current siggy) and at times it feels like I lose more hair, but I think part of it may be that each strand takes up more space balled up. So it looks like more than it did in the past (even though it is still objectively a lot I think).

But I really need to take some updated pics and do a comparison to be sure. But it still feels like I shed a lot, and more from the left side of my hair than the right.

Last edited:
I lost about a cup and a half for three days straight.

I applied garlic to my scalp.

I put my hair in braids to wash. Then detangled and conditioned a section at a time.

And I also went back to taking my vitamins regularly

I discovered Hair Trigger Growth oil not long ago. I was messing around on the site and also eyeballed something called a "tincture."

Along with the oil, I also purchased the GARLIC tincture. I use and LOVE it to pieces because my shedding is controlled. I also use and love tea rinsing and take garlic supplements. Tea rinsing is great but I'm sometimes lazy. Garlic supplements take time unless you're already taking them. The garlic tincture is immediate. Check it out. There are other tinctures to choose from as well.

www.hairtriggergrowthelixir.com/tincture-info.html

Hopefully this helps.

Tea ladies black tea is the answer it stopped my PP shedding in its tracks when garlic poo, oil and AE garlic treatment did nothing

I discovered Hair Trigger Growth oil not long ago. I was messing around on the site and also eyeballed something called a "tincture."

Along with the oil, I also purchased the GARLIC tincture. I use and LOVE it to pieces because my shedding is controlled. I also use and love tea rinsing and take garlic supplements. Tea rinsing is great but I'm sometimes lazy. Garlic supplements take time unless you're already taking them. The garlic tincture is immediate. Check it out. There are other tinctures to choose from as well.

www.hairtriggergrowthelixir.com/tincture-info.html

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks, I'm going to have to do some research on this. :yep:

Tea ladies black tea is the answer it stopped my PP shedding in its tracks when garlic poo, oil and AE garlic treatment did nothing

How exactly do you do the Black Tea rinses? Do you just boil black tea and wait for it to cool down and rinse it through your hair? Or, is there another method? Also, how often do you do it?

Thanks guys for your advice.

I tried garlic once, but I tried the powder, so I can try the garlic oil I bought recently and see if that works.

I'm not sick, or on medication, nor am I post anything!

My hair is quite thick and I must admit I haven't noticed it thinning, and its definitely still growing, I still have a lot of hair... But I can't help but worry that this IS excessive.

I wore weave for a couple of years before relaxing 18months of growth and since then I've been struggling with this nr BSL hair that I can't stop shedding!

lamaria211 said:

Ok, it's the one thing I haven't tried. That and being consistent/patient!
I do tend to decide something isn't working and move in to something else.

How do I tea rinse?

For tea rinses. You can use plain Lipton tea. 1 or 2 bags and let it lightly simmer in hot water for, say, an hour. Most ladies do it that long or even overnight. I do 15min. Wash your hair. Then pour the cooled tea on. Put your DC on top. Let it set for however long you leave in your DC. That's it.

Are you postpartum? If so it comes with the territory. If not I would second the tea and garlic suggestions. Also see your doctor because sometimes thyroid issues have excessive shedding as a symptom.

I agree!! I have thyroid issues and had to deal with excessive shedding. But, it could also be just the "phase" your hair is in. I take garlic supplements and that helps with my shedding a lot. Good luck!

Op...when was the last time you trimmed your hair?

@MrsJaiDiva I trimmed last when I relaxed 2 months ago.

Pray for me ladies... I'm going to do the tea rinse, take garlic supplements and add the garlic oils to my scalp at my next wash and do this regularly.

In 2 weeks I'll reassess.
All your help has been super. :superbanana: LHCF Ladies are the best!:grin:

Last edited:
My hair does a lot of shedding. Whenever I wash it, I go into the shower with a pair of scissors to cut off the endless strands, otherwise, I could be in the shower forever. Forever could mean 2 hrs or longer.

It has nothing to do with my hair being detangled. It's always detangled but I don't want to get out until there are no hanging strands. I am natural and the amount of hair that I lose each week is consistent, but when wet it appears to look like quite a bit,; not so much when dry. If I wash every 3 days, I experience less shedding. I quit worrying about it and have stopped cutting my hair off because of it.

I am having the same problem too and it is scary but I do not see any bald spots, etc. I am upping my vitamin intake.

UPDATE: So ladies, I did the tea rinse with a deep conditioner, it helped a little, nothing spectacular. I was really prepping for my henna the following day.

And... Kapooooowwwww!!! My hair is strong and shedding was minimal, even after washing out the clay like henna off my hair!
I combed through to apply conditioner and I couldn't be happier.

LONG MAY IT LAST!!! Thanks for all your help ladies. I don't know if it was the tea or the henna, but I'm cool to continue both.

I use garlic oil that I purchased from the grocery section at home goods. This stuff works magic, because it's kindof smelly I only use it once a week while im DCing.

Back