Protecting Hair at Night

Does your hair retain length from being protected at night?

• Yes, I always protect it at night

Votes: 115 95.0%
  • No, my hair is long without protecting it at night

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • other-feel free to explain

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wish4length

In my quest for longer hair by the end of the summer, I'm wondering how much good it will do me to keep it secure at night, so.....

Does wrapping the hair at night(or simply protecting it with a scarf) help you retain length??

krikit96

I have to say, when i go to bed without covering my hair, in the morning it is drier and more brittle... which means it's prone to breakage.

Whenever I cover my hair, I am sure that there are no pieces of broken hair on my pillow.

Americka

Does wrapping the hair at night(or simply protecting it with a scarf) help you retain length??

It is preferable to use a silk pillowcase or scarf, but if you cannot find one a satin pillowcase or scarf protects your hair from breakage as well. I refuse to lose any hair to a cotton pillowcase or scarf. :sleeping:

CourtneyD

IMHO I think you should wrap your hair every night with a silk scarf or sleep on silk pillowcase- afer having moisturizing your hair and sealing your ends. Just do a search on "Sealing Your Ends" for the how-to's and product selection. You might also want to do a search on the Baggy Method (or Baggie Method). It's a method to keep your ends protected and your hair moisturized all the time. HTH.:yawn:

fyb87

I don't see how wrapping a scarf around your hair would aide in length retention. I can see how it could help with breakage if you had your hair on a cotton pillowcase or sheets. I will say I do keep a satin scarf around my head pretty much all the time when I am at home not just when I go to bed. I don't want my hair touching anything. That's just me.

ceebee3

I don't see how wrapping a scarf around your hair would aide in length retention. I can see how it could help with breakage if you had your hair on a cotton pillowcase or sheets. I will say I do keep a satin scarf around my head pretty much all the time when I am at home not just when I go to bed. I don't want my hair touching anything. That's just me.

That's funny, you just answered yourself. Using a scarf helps with breakage. If your hair is not breaking, then you are retaining length.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I always wear a scarf before going to bed, or just laying down period. I also baggy, which is a wonderful thing :love3:

mzsophisticated26

I just use one for protection and not length. I also find that it helps prevent from putting heat to my hair in the morning especially if I got a fresh hairdo wash and flat iron from the salon. I can go the entire wk-2wks and with no heat.

mscocoface

I have silk or satin sarves, caps and pillow cases. I am a wild sleeper so one some or all of these work during sometime in the night.

You can pick up all of these items at Sally's Beauty Supply.

MoniintheMiddle

I tried to tell my mother-in-law that she REALLY should put a silk scarf on her head or sleep with a satin pillowcase. She told me that scarves always come off her head and that satin pillowcases really don't work for her and that since she wears her hair short, it doesn't matter. The result...i can see her scalp in some spots in the back of her head.

Stella B.

I tie my hair up each night with a satin tie scarf. This helps to keep the hair from tangling when I am sleeping. I also have a satin pillowcase that I sleep on to protect my hair in case the scarf comes off. Prior to joining this board, I never tied my hair up at night, and my hair was always so dry and tangled!

msa

I have to protect my hair at night. I've been doing it since I was little so I can't not do it now.

Also, if I don't have something on my head, my hair gets dried out from the air and literally rubs out. So I wear my bonnet and sleep on a satin pillowcase. But, it's best if my hair is braided up and then I put on the bonnet. Loose hair is just a problem, whether it's covered or not.

Ronnieaj

I have to wear a satin bonnet or scarf at night. I had a satin wrap when I was relaxed, and I use a bonnet most of the time now that I'm natural. It helps me retain the moisture when I do my nighttime moisturize and seal routine, and it helps prevent manipulation in the morning. If I don't wear something, I MUST do my hair in the morning--twists look a hot mess, and wng's are goin nowhere! The bonnet helps retain the style better, so it doesn't look so dry, and helps me extend the life of my style. And the less I touch my hair, the better I think my retention will be.

WantNatural

I double up at night - I use a satin scarf and a satin bonnet on top. Very sexy! I do this because if I sleep with just the satin scarf it always comes off, so I need backup. Also, if I only use the bonnet the elastic cuts into my hairline, and I already have fragile edges. By using a combination I protect my hair at all times and I don't have to worry about breakage from the elastic on my cap.

newflowers

I try to hard to wear a scarf - that sucker is under the covers every morning. I do sleep on a satin pillow case. The local fabric store is a great source for real satin figured silk; three seams, a hem, and tada!

Last edited:
hey dude i've been bunning and leaving in conditioners every night for 2 weeks, and I've already gotten like a 1/2 inch and way less breakage in the comb... check my fotki

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I always Protect My Hair at Night with Either a Silk/Satin Scarf. I also have Satin Bonnets and Satin Pillowcases.

Regardless of which I use, I never go to bed without my Hair being Protected.:nono:

Satin pillow case with pin-up or loose ponytail for me. I try scarves and bonnet but they will not stay on my head if my hair is flat ironed or rollerset smooth:sad:

I am a wild sleeper. But always protect your hair. Cotton pillowcase =:crying3: breakage and dryness for hair as well as skin.

Aspire

I have done it all my life. Can't even THINK about sleeping without covering my hair. I never really thought about it retaining length, but I guess it does. If I fall asleep without covering, my hair is usually tangled and dry and it definitely breaks off more easily in the comb.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I use silk or satin scraves and satin pillowcases daily.....I dont care if it doesnt help protect but it lays the 16 wks post hair DOWN LOL.....

jcdlox

I used to sleep with a satin pillowcase and that's it and insisted that my hair was okay... until I started wrapping it at night about 6 months ago and suddenly realized that my hair wasn't growing longer on the right side, it was breaking off on the left side that I sleep on! So for me even the satin pillowcase was not enough to protect my hair. I now wrap my hair when I'm relaxing on the sofa watching TV to be safe!

MsEllie

Before LHCF I just slept on my hair :wallbash: all kind of breakage, now I have a satin pillow case and I double wrap my head at night because that scarf was always coming off so I scarf and bonnet - I have notice a big difference - hair is not dry and no breakage.

Nyssa28

I can't imagine how my hair would look if I didn't wear anything to protect it at night. Not.a.pretty.sight.

Naturel

I have been sleeping on satin pillow case for a year, that's it. I don't find any ill effects on my hair compared to when I used scarf and bonnets. I love the freedom of letting my head free in my sleep :yay: Plus is less work, yes I am lazy :ohwell: