Product Review: Croc 2 Infrared flat iron

Southernbella.

I'm in love. :love:

I first discovered this iron when a poster in OT posted a pic of her hair after using it (thank you OddOne!). Her results were AMAZING, so I jumped right on Folica, read the reviews, and ordered it. I was already in the market for a new iron, and it seemed this was what I was looking for.

From site: The Croc 2 Infrared Flat Iron (1") is a retro-futuristic hair re-constructor and re-conditioner that is internationally patented to provide the newest in technology, combining ceramic, tourmaline, titanium and infrared technology.
http://www.folica.com/tools/flat-irons/croc-two-infrared-flat-iron-one-inch

I got it in the mail yesterday and immediately washed/deep conditioned/blowdried.

My hair wasn't at the optimal moisture level because I've been doing a lot of wash and gos and kinky styles. I was also out of coconut oil (which I always flat iron with), and I was down to the last of the deep conditioner I usually use. I also lost my fine tooth comb, and because I was so excited, I only blowdried in 5 sections instead of my usual 10-12. In other words, my hair was not properly prepared to be flat ironed.

Anyway, flat iron I did :lol: At first, I was like hmmmm...I don't see a big difference. Then I realized I hadn't turned on the infrared. I did that, and OMG. If I had had my fine tooth comb (comb chase), I could have done only one pass. Since I had to use my Denman, I had to do 2-3 passes to get my ends right. It felt SO silky and full of body and swing.

Remember I said I was out of coconut oil? It made no difference. The only product I used was a tiny bit of generic heat protectant serum (Sally).

Some pics:

After blowdrying and braiding each section:

Front done:

Nape:

Side:

All done:

Now here's what was remarkable to me: My sister had a barbecue last night, which meant spending some time outside. There was about 90% humidity because it had stormed earlier, but my hair DID NOT REVERT! I fully expected it to because my hair usually does and it wasn't and because I hadn't moisturized it well, but it stayed straight. The curls fell, but it was still silky and had tons of swing.

I woke up this morning expecting my usual "middle of the night sweating in my head" reversion, but again, just straight silky hair, even at the roots.

I can't compare this flat iron to the CHI or Sedu or any of the other professionals because I've only had cheap ceramics in the past, but I can definitely say this one is a keeper.

Pros:

Design and handling. It's cute and really does look like a crocodile:lol:, but it's also very functional and not clunky or awkward. It was a perfect fit and I was able to maneuver it with just one hand

Gets hair very silky and swingy

Has a digital readout for the temp, which goes from 250-450 degrees (I used it on 430)

Left my dry hair feeling moisturized

Heats fully in 10 seconds

Prevented reversion, even in 85 degree heat with 90% humidity

Cons:

You cannot touch the part that holds the plates because it's smoking hot. This wasn't a problem for me because it was easy to handle and I got all the pressure I needed from squeezing the handle.

ETA: If you do buy from Folica, go here for a coupon code. I got $38 off my order using a code.

Last edited:

qchelle

Ahhhhhhhh!!! Your hair is beautiful!!! Mine arrived 2 days ago and I have yet to use it :lol: I'm using it today after I rinse my DC. I.can't.waiiiiit!!! :lol:

Starian

Your results are beautiful. I just bought a Farouk Biosilk flatiron, but it can't hurt to have a backup, right? Right? *resists urge to purchase*

amara11

Wow, thanks lady!

I am refraining from straightening for the remainder of the year, but I think I may put this on the hair shopping list. I love that it is ceramic/tourmaline/infrared, which are all features I love in the FHI irons. They really do make the difference.

Your hair really does look great! I can see the softness/fluffiness. :yep:

Mitey Cyrus

*is mad because I just bought a maxiglide* :mad:
And I just bought this thing at noon, too. Your hair is lovely as usual, SouthernBella.

serene

Nice results! I am looking for a new iron, my sister asks to "borrow" my Sedu all the time and I'm just going to give it to her.

BklynHeart

NICE!!!! dammit, I'm tempted to buy it, even though I haven't even used the maxiglide I ordered last year.:wallbash:

serene

I clicked on the link and don't see a coupon that offers that much off...do you remember which one you used? I think I'm going to order one soon, thanks!!!

Janet'

So...it lets out steam as it straightens?

OP: Very nice results...I'm in the market and am probably going to order tonight...This one is similar to the Maxiglide, eh?

ceebee3

Your hair looks beautiful!

I want the croc but I can't justify the purchase. I brought two new flat irons the end of last year and haven't even used them yet.

laurend

Your hair looks great. However I won't be buying because I'm don't know how to straighten my hair. It helps when you got skills.

Southernbella.

I clicked on the link and don't see a coupon that offers that much off...do you remember which one you used? I think I'm going to order one soon, thanks!!!

I can't remember but I looked at retailmenot and it's gone now for some reason. I had posted it in the last random thoughts thread in OT, but that's gone now.:sad:

So...it lets out steam as it straightens?

OP: Very nice results...I'm in the market and am probably going to order tonight...This one is similar to the Maxiglide, eh?

It doesn't let out steam, just infrared. Supposedly this conditions, seals in moisture, and has antimicrobial properties.

serene

I can't remember but I looked at retailmenot and it's gone now for some reason. I had posted it in the last random thoughts thread in OT, but that's gone now.:sad:

It doesn't let out steam, just infrared. Supposedly this conditions, seals in moisture, and has antimicrobial properties.

That's probably a good thing, I haven't straightened since March and with all this humidity I plan to wait until late fall. I'll definitely be checking for codes in the mean time, thanks for the info!

StopMakingSense

ahhhhhh your hair looks wonderful!!

But can you school me on this? What is the risk of heat damage? Does Infrared reduce this risk and what exactly IS infrared. :)

sheba1

Your hair is gawgeoussss!

I :love2: the Croc2, as well. Fantastic iron. My favorite of my small litter (I also have a Amika and a FHI Platform)

Southernbella.

ahhhhhh your hair looks wonderful!!

But can you school me on this? What is the risk of heat damage? Does Infrared reduce this risk and what exactly IS infrared. :)

I found this:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Ceramic Plates[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Metal plates can be fine for your hair but ceramic plates are microscopically smoother and kinder to your hair. They can be heated quicker and the temperature can be maintained more accurately. Ceramic also prevent uncontrolled rises in temperature and allow for even heat distribution.

Top of page

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Ion Technology
Ion technology generates are field of negatively charged particles which break apart water molecules into smaller ones. These smaller particles can be absorbed more easily by the hair leaving the hair moister and less brittle. If when using a hair straightener you find that your hair is dryer and/or more brittle then using ion technology should greatly improve the condition of your hair.
Ion technology produces:
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]• Improved hair condition
• Softer and shinier hair
• More moisture in the hair making it less flyaway
• Faster drying making a better longer lasting effect with less time spent by you.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Top of page
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Infra Red Technology
The infra red technology seals the moisture in the
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]hair preventing drying out due to the heat from the appliance.
Infra Red Technology produces
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]• No loss of hairs condition
• Softer and shinier hair
• More moisture in the hair making it less flyaway
• Faster drying making a better longer lasting effect with less time spent by you.
[/FONT]

http://www.ukhairdressers.com/store/table.asp

And this:

Infrared:
Infrared heat warms the hair from the inside out causing less surface damage. The heat is distributed evenly making it easier and faster to straighten hair

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art58456.asp

And this:

The far end of the infrared spectrum of light is invisible to the eye, but penetrates further than visible wavelengths because it “radiates” – directly heating objects in an area without heating the entire space - through a process of direct light conversion into heat. This is the same way the sun heats (consider how cool it is in the shade), but far infrared heat lacks the dangerous UV rays and other wavelengths that are bad for us.

Far infrared heat is also unique because it can penetrate human skin and hair cells, bringing heat within. This style of heat has been explored in the East for its curative properties and ability to restore good circulation - often seen in saunas and other spa treatments. And it's the most efficient, gentlest way to heat hair - but any flat iron with a ceramic heating element will deliver.

http://www.misikko.com/true-flat-iron.html

I forgot another PRO: There were no hairs on my flat iron. With every other flat iron I've used EVER, there were either shed hairs or broken hairs, and sometimes both. I always just figured it would be part of my flat iron experience, but not with this iron.

Southernbella.

When my dh gets back with some batteries, I'm going to take some pics. It's day 3 and I haven't had to go back over my hair (like I usually do). It is still straight and swangin.:yep:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
my lawd, your hair is lovely!! :love:
i'm in the market for a new flat-iron, and we have pretty similar hair, so i think i'll get this one. :yep: thanks for the review!