Product Help for Thickening Hair

MyTie

Hi all,

First I must say that this forum has saved my hair-life. I've lurked her for a little while, but never really posted. After following some of your advice I am seeing definite process in my hair.

My hair has always grown pretty quickly, but it is hard for me to maintain lenght because of all the damage that I use to do to and the poor care that I put into it. Now that I am taking the time to care for it (daily washing, deep conditioning, vitamins, and the baggy technique is things I've learned here and is currently exercising on my hair) I've noticed that it is maintaining some length.

The only problem is that my hair is so thin. I've already decided to ditch the relaxers because I thought that it made my hair thinner, but I am noticing that my new growth isn't that much thicker than the relaxed part of my hair. Do anyone know of any good products for thickening your hair?

SweetCaramel1

alot of ladies here have had success with jamaican black castor oil. it's one of the things i want to try but haven't gotton around to.

i believe they order from sams247.com , hopefully someone can come in and verify.

LovedAlot

The two products that have definately helped thicken up my strands are MTG and castor oil. I have seen a dramatic improvement in the health of my hair and the thickness. I'm not sure how you feel about MTG, but maybe you could try that or natural lady's boundless tresses. I plan to try that when my MTG runs out.

HoneyDew

For me Thicker hair =

Week one – Henna/Cassia followed by a moisturizing deep condition
Week Two – Moisturizing Deep Condition (or another Henna/Cassia if my hair is not too dry)
Week Three – Henna/Cassia followed by a moisturizing deep condition
Week Four – Protein Treatment followed by a moisturizing deep condition

And then start all over again.

KiniKakes

These are the things that helped to thicken my hair:

Biotin!!!! (I take 10 mg now.... but I built up to this slowly)

Henna (more of a temporary solution, but it definitely makes a difference as long as i use it consistently)

MTG

Stretching relaxers (I dont stretch as long as some of the ladies on here. I usually relax every 8 weeks or so. But that is an improvement over how often i relaxed in the past, and it has made a significant difference. But if i stretch any longer, this tends to do more harm than good.)

Minimizing combing (If you can, try to comb only a couple times per week. This minimizes manipulation and subsequently decreases breakage. This is essential for us fine/thin haired ladies)

Mind you, my hair is still VERY fine/thin, but it has gained a lot more thickness/body since i started doing these things!

HTH :)

Last edited:

rootdeep

Hey my hair has SERIOUSLY thickened up since joining the boards and playing around with products. This is what has helped me.....

Biotin: 5 mg a day
Stretch your relaxer: I onced stretched for 7 months( I should have just BC'd after that but I was chicken) but I'm currently 11 weeks post relaxer. I'll get a touch up next week. This has SERIOUSLY helped my hair.

Trim those ends: Okay I'm in the minority on this one but I trim my hair every relaxer( which is about 4 times a year since I usually stretch for 3 months). I'm a firm believer that those dead,ragedy ends GOTTA go. Since I've been doing this my hair and my ends have been loving me.

Treat your ends just like you do the rest of your hair: I use different things on my ends but what Ive been loving lately is my Long & Strong by Garnier mixed with my crushed 1mg Biotin. I put a little bit of this on my ends every night before putting on my bonnet.

Keep the heat out of your hair....I REFUSE to use heat at home on my hair between my biweekly salon appointments. I will either roller set my hair, bun it or throw it up in a phony pony.

Hope this helps

BrownSkin2

Some products and things I tried that has helped me are:

1. Beta Carotene or carrot juice.
2. Vitamins like a one a day, B-complex
3. Exercise
4. Getting adequate amount of sleep nightly.
4. Drinking lots of water.
5. Keeping stress to a minimum.
6. Deep conditioning weekly.

Honey6928215

SweetCaramel1 said:
alot of ladies here have had success with jamaican black castor oil. it's one of the things i want to try but haven't gotton around to.

i believe they order from sams247.com , hopefully someone can come in and verify.
I'll have to co-sign with Jamaican Black Castor oil. IT'S THE TRUTH!!!