Thickening from Henna-Temporary or Permanent??

slender1

Kinikakes stated-My hair is WAY thicker and fuller after i use the Henna. It looks really full and as though i have more strands than i actually do. Unfortunately, the affects are only temporary for me. When I wash my hair without doing the henna before, my hair looks like it used too (flatter, less body).

Tell me is there anybody that has permanent thickening effects with Henna? Your experience please..:look:

I've washed several time without a henna treatment as part of my regimen for the day and I have foun that the thickening affects (much like the color) are permanent. I believe part of the reason that some might not have yet gotten permanent results from it is the number of time they have hennaed and the manner in which they are letting the henna condition their hair.

Henna makes your hair thicker because the tannins in it bind to the keratin in your hair. Someone once compared it to strings wrapping around a larger string. The original string gets bigger and stronger. The effects of henna are cumulitive. The more you henna the more the tannins bind to the hair and the thicker and stronger it gets until the hair reaches a saturation point.

In addition adding heat facilitates the binding of the tannins to the hair molecules. Many ladies may not use heat after they have applied their henna because it is not entirely necessary/or they don't want a color release. But if you think about it heat is just energy that causes molecules to move. So adding heat facilitates the process by which the tannins bond to the hair, therefore making each henna treatment more effective.:yep:

Great post, SoHo!!

When I first started doing henna, I did *thinks* 10 treatments back to back - once a week - which I think was overdoing it for my fine hair. I most likel should have stopped at 8 weeks straight. I stopped hennaing for 9 weeks, and it wasn't until week 6 or so that I noticed that the effects (softness, strength) seemed to be fading. I think that henna's effects are more permanent the more you use it, if that makes sense. If I did a henna, every other week, for a year - it would most likely be another year before the effects faded.
I don't think that you can STOP using it permanently, and expect the results to stay permanently - if nothing else, your new growth would have the same protection as the rest of your hair.

Great question & posts!!

My experience is that the thickening happened after only one use & 2-3 wks after the initial use & several poo/con sessions, my hair is still thick, shiny & very strong feeling!

I'm not even sure how often I should henna, but the next time for will be after my next retouch. But w/henna & it's abilities to 'soften' or 'relax' curl patterns on it's own, it will be a while before I even retouch!

And this is after ONE HENNA TREATMENT!!!

I henna'd twice 1 week after another and it's been about a month or so ?and it seems like the effects are starting to fade.

I just ordered mmore and plan to henna again as soon as it comes in. I think once a month or even two months is enough to get the results I'm looking for.

Yay! I'm glad my explanation was of some help. I've got my whole family (mom, sister) converted into henna junkies so I'm all about spreading the joy that is henna. I've learned so much here from the old henna heads that it is unbelievable.

This guy at work today kept commenting on my shiny hair and when he touched it he said it felt like cashmere, not silk ladies, BUT CASHMERE. He said that regular hair felt like silk but my hair was more luxurious. You'd better believe that the henna/other great hair care practice I've picked up here that he was feeling 'cause last year at this time my hair certainly was not cashmere. Sandpaper maybe, or crumpled up straw, but not cashmere.:look:

You guys, i just did my second henna today!!! I'm so excited. After the whole treatment, i did feel my hair was muh stronger, even while it was wet! So when my hair dries tomorrow, i will let you guys know how it is.

Thanks so much for this great thread. Every since I've joined LHCG, I've been hearing about how great henna is. I've been wanting to try it, as my hair is very thin and I can color the afew stray grays I have. ;)

I was very sceptical about joining the henna band wagon, till i tried it.
My hair is no longer as fine as it used to be...the strands are way fuller and stronger.
The last time i did a henna treatment was 3weeks ago, and i have washed/cowashed/relxed my hair since then, i'm still seeing thick strands of hair. i am sure the effects are semi permanent and will wear off if i discontinue usage...i dont plan to do so..:)

I too have recently jumped on the henna band wagon. My hair felt thicker instantly when rinsing it out in the shower. I love the henna. I was using henna every two weeks until my duaghter made a comment on how red my hair was looking. You can only see it in the sun though....thank God! I love the conditioning benefits but I've cut back on the frequency becasue I don't want to be looking like Annie in the daylight! :eek:

My experience is still that if I dont Henna, my hair reverts back to what it was.......... but my hair is super fine-textured/thin, so I suppose that plays a role as well. Regardless, I love what Henna does to my hair, so i really have no reason to stop, ever. :p

Wow, you sound like such a professional expert SohoHair! I agree with everything you say:D

SohoHair said:
I've washed several time without a henna treatment as part of my regimen for the day and I have found that the thickening affects (much like the color) are permanent. I believe part of the reason that some might not have yet gotten permanent results from it is the number of time they have hennaed and the manner in which they are letting the henna condition their hair.

Henna makes your hair thicker because the tannins in it bind to the keratin in your hair. Someone once compared it to strings wrapping around a larger string. The original string gets bigger and stronger. The effects of henna are cumulitive. The more you henna the more the tannins bind to the hair and the thicker and stronger it gets until the hair reaches a saturation point.

In addition adding heat facilitates the binding of the tannins to the hair molecules. Many ladies may not use heat after they have applied their henna because it is not entirely necessary/or they don't want a color release. But if you think about it heat is just energy that causes molecules to move. So adding heat facilitates the process by which the tannins bond to the hair, therefore making each henna treatment more effective.:yep:

Great thread SoHo! I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. I did my weekly henna treatment and as I rinsed I noticed how much thicker the diameter of my ponytail felt. I do weekly treatments, but had been pondering the idea of biweekly since I have semi-fine hair and am trying to thicken my edges too. I'm sure I've done 15+ treaments since I started AND I WILL NEVER STOP!:) My hair loves henna. Shedding goes out the window and it turns my new growth into soft waves (combable:look: ).

mch5683 said:
I too have recently jumped on the henna band wagon. My hair felt thicker instantly when rinsing it out in the shower. I love the henna. I was using henna every two weeks until my duaghter made a comment on how red my hair was looking. You can only see it in the sun though....thank God! I love the conditioning benefits but I've cut back on the frequency becasue I don't want to be looking like Annie in the daylight! :eek:

Can't you follow the henna with indigo to make the color effect more black? I was planning to do this when I try henna for the first time next year. Henna users, please respond!

skoloco said:
Can't you follow the henna with indigo to make the color effect more black? I was planning to do this when I try henna for the first time next year. Henna users, please respond!

Yes you can. :)

My hair did thicken up a bit after the henna but its going flat now. But I only did it once, so I haven't gotten the cummulative effects yet.

Im so glad I opened this thread. My cassia just came, now I wish I just went ahead and ordered the henna. I hope cassia will give me the same results.

Wow, SohoHair. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think I will do it a little more often.

SohoHair said:
I've washed several time without a henna treatment as part of my regimen for the day and I have foun that the thickening affects (much like the color) are permanent. I believe part of the reason that some might not have yet gotten permanent results from it is the number of time they have hennaed and the manner in which they are letting the henna condition their hair.

Back