Porosity Control Question

Cayenne0622

I read where a lot of you ladies are using porosity control after you shampoo but before you deep condition. Wouldn't it be better to use porosity control last since its supposed to help lay down your cuticle? It would seem more beneficial that if the cuticle is lifted then we should deep condition so that it gets inside the cuticle and then use porosity control or acv to close the cuticle after the conditioning has happened.

What do you think?

foxy kc

I always mix it with my conditioner for my DC.....it has always worked well for me this way

guesswho

That's a good question, because I use the porosity control right after I pour my mixture of baking soda and warm water over my hair and then I then I add my deep conditioner and proceed to deep condition, should I add it last? Bumping for replys

Cayenne0622

I had the most luxurious conditioning experience last night but woke up to issues this morning...that's why I'm asking. I mixed Keraphixx and Silk Amino Acids for strengthening and Pantene Relaxed and Natural Breakage defense with honey and evoo for moisture...combined it all together and did a 30-40 min deep conditioning. I then put on Porosity Control with a shower cap for 5 mins. My 6 week post relaxer hair was like silk during the rinse out in the shower with very, very few shedded hairs. I was literally thanking God. I added my Giovanni for Leave in and Elasta QP heat protector spray and Proclaim's Olive Oil Foam Wrap. My hair felt nice and soft but his morning as I started styling, it felt dry and I experienced a lot of breakage??? Can't figure that out. I'm wondering if I did something wrong...was it the wrap foam that made my hair dry or am I just one of those people who HAS to relax every 6 weeks and can't stretch?? :(

preciousjewel76

Cayenne0622 said:
I had the most luxurious conditioning experience last night but woke up to issues this morning...that's why I'm asking. I mixed Keraphixx and Silk Amino Acids for strengthening and Pantene Relaxed and Natural Breakage defense with honey and evoo for moisture...combined it all together and did a 30-40 min deep conditioning. I then put on Porosity Control with a shower cap for 5 mins. My 6 week post relaxer hair was like silk during the rinse out in the shower with very, very few shedded hairs. I was literally thanking God. I added my Giovanni for Leave in and Elasta QP heat protector spray and Proclaim's Olive Oil Foam Wrap. My hair felt nice and soft but his morning as I started styling, it felt dry and I experienced a lot of breakage??? Can't figure that out. I'm wondering if I did something wrong...was it the wrap foam that made my hair dry or am I just one of those people who HAS to relax every 6 weeks and can't stretch?? :(

I suspect that foam wrap may have been the culprit. I remember some people mentioned that the Motions foam made their hair break off, but I don't know what ingredient(s) would cause that. I used to use the Motions foam years ago, but I don't remember what it did to my hair.

ETA: Looks like Motions contains "denatured alcohol", which could be drying to the hair. Not sure if the Proclaim foam you used contains this, but it could be the reason you saw breakage.

Last edited:

Cayenne0622

DAYUM DAYUM DAYUM!!! Its terrible watching months and months of hard work go down the drain!! Geez! One set back after another. {sigh}:(

sweetnlow06

I would like to hear more answers too. I use porosity control before I deep condition too but that does make sense to use after DC. More answers?

Radianthealth

I use porosity control after I deep condition. It is something that I have just started doing for the same reasoning that you are doing it. I think I will use porosity control once per week and ACV rinse with every wash. Currently I am washing my hair on Wednesday's and Sundays. I plan to do a moisturizing deep conditioner on Sunday and a protein/moisture deep conditioner on Wednesday. Hopefully this will make my hair healthier.:)

gymfreak336

I use porosity control before I deep condition to make my results more uniform. Yes it does help lay down the cuticle but just the process of rinsing will raise the cuticle some. I find that when my porosity is more even and consistent through out my hair strands, my conditioner works better. I notice that it works faster and I get more detangling action. I also notice that I can use less product.

gymfreak336

guesswho said:
how long do you leave the porosity on your hair?

No more than a minute. I usually rub it through and run a pumice stone over my feet, rinse and get out the shower. Then I apply my conditioner, slap on a plastic cap, put on face mask and go put my feet up on the couch.

guesswho

gymfreak336 said:
No more than a minute. I usually rub it through and run a pumice stone over my feet, rinse and get out the shower. Then I apply my conditioner, slap on a plastic cap, put on face mask and go put my feet up on the couch.

great that's what I do, so I'll just keep doing that once a week, thanks alot, but I read on another post that some people sit under the dryer with it, is that harmful? when I read the directions it didn't say that, does it have another porosity control that you could deep condition with?

gymfreak336

guesswho said:
great that's what I do, so I'll just keep doing that once a week, thanks alot, but I read on another post that some people sit under the dryer with it, is that harmful? when I read the directions it didn't say that, does it have another porosity control that you could deep condition with?

I personally have not used it with heat but I don't see how it could be harmful. I might try it like that so I can see how it works for me. The company does make two conditioners that can be used for deep conditioning. I haven't used them before but they have gotten good reviews here. You can find them is sample packets in the same section that pc is at at sallys. I think honeydew and caplush have used the packets before. I know Honeydew uses the shampoo with good results.

guesswho

gymfreak336 said:
I personally have not used it with heat but I don't see how it could be harmful. I might try it like that so I can see how it works for me. The company does make two conditioners that can be used for deep conditioning. I haven't used them before but they have gotten good reviews here. You can find them is sample packets in the same section that pc is at at sallys. I think honeydew and caplush have used the packets before. I know Honeydew uses the shampoo with good results.

thanks chica your the best:)

Divine Inspiration

foxy kc said:
I always mix it with my conditioner for my DC.....it has always worked well for me this way

Co-signing. I've used it in between, and it works well that way too but I prefer to have as few steps as possible on wash day.

Autumbeauty, I only have the conditioner. I've never tried the poo.

autumnbeauty29

trimbride said:
I use porosity control after I deep condition. It is something that I have just started doing for the same reasoning that you are doing it. I think I will use porosity control once per week and ACV rinse with every wash. Currently I am washing my hair on Wednesday's and Sundays. I plan to do a moisturizing deep conditioner on Sunday and a protein/moisture deep conditioner on Wednesday. Hopefully this will make my hair healthier.:)

I just got the porosity control..now you spoke of the ACV rinse. Should I alternate the ACV rinse with a deep condition or incorporate that with my regimen? newbie here:p I guess I am asking in what order should I do all that lol?

autumnbeauty29

Andreainnis said:
I use porosity control for fifteen minutes with a heating cap after my deep condition. I got this from a really good thread on porosity control,http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=80892&page=2&highlight=porosity+control. I didn't know it worked better when used before the DC, but my hair comes out so shiny, strong and soft the way I use it. I wonder if the order matters:ohwell:

Thanks for the tip..I checked out the thread and I bookmarked it;) I'll be using it next time I wash. Hey can you use PC everytime you wash or should you use it sparingly?

Andreainnis

I use it everytime I wash. I'm gonna try using it before my DC, then I'm gonna try it mixed with my DC. I have to figure out which is most effective:ohwell:

preciousjewel76

autumnbeauty29 said:
I just got the porosity control..now you spoke of the ACV rinse. Should I alternate the ACV rinse with a deep condition or incorporate that with my regimen? newbie here:p I guess I am asking in what order should I do all that lol?

ACV rinses (rinsing hair with diluted apple cider vinegar) should not replace deep conditioning. ACV rinses, like Porosity Control, are a slightly acidic hair treatment that will help close the cuticle of your hair. Deep conditioners are meant to penetrate and moisturize the hair. You can incorporate ACV rinses into your current regimen by doing a rinse before or after your deep conditioner. I personally do them after I rinse out my DC, but that's a matter of preference.

lonei

I use it before I DC but I think I may use it after, especially since the hair is so soft and detangled once you rinse it out and not even my Giovanni DC makes it feel like that!