porosity - the forgotten step

are you aware of the pH of your products? you can select more than one option.

• I am aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 48 13.1%
  • I am not aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 128 34.9%
  • I have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I do not have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I have no clue what you're talking about

Votes: 119 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

newflowers

^^^ you are going to love it i think. be careful your hair is dry first. i had one little spot that wasn't dry, and i haven't gotten any breakage in the spot nor did i burn, but the area felt a little sensitive after i was finished.

porosity control is like the cherry on top - you can have a sundae without it, but the little refinement makes just the right difference.

Kimdionneca

How was your hair when you were using only the Hydrothermal products? I don't use any of the products your list here, but I have tried the JASON - it didn't do much for my hair, but one of my daughters really loved it, the other found it very drying for her hair; they're both natural. I co-wash with my same phyto conditioners because it's what works for me. And I think that's really important - you have to use what works for you.

When I first began my hair journey, my hair was a mess - damaged, dry, breaking, dull, rough - you name any bad thing, and I had it going on - my hair was terrible. I left the salon, returned to doing my own hair, finally returned to using phyto products exclusively after a brief stint of pj-ism. It took about a year for me to get over trying everything thing that was discussed on the boards. After that, another sixish months of consistent care, and my hair was much improved; sixish more months, and my hair was pretty perfect (for me).

I really think using products that work for your hair - with full awareness that what works for others, no matter how wonderful the raves, may not work for you. If hydrathernal naturals is doing what you need, then just use that one - is one of the most important things you can do for your hair. I would beware of clarifying too often - that will dry your hair. If you've got the moisture/protein balance correct, keep doing what you're doing, and the condition of your hair will improve. It's not likely your hair was damaged overnight, so you should not expect your hair to return to tip top shape overnight either. Make sure you check the pH of the hydrathermal naturals products - I'm sure the vendor knows if it's not listed on the bottles.

With the exception of AOHSR which I use for the scent on date nights (dh loves it), silk peptide powder, porosity control, and camellia oil, I stick with phyto for my daily hair care because I know this line of products works for me. If you know the Hydrathermal works for you, then ditch the cheapie conditoners and give your hair time to get better. A product/method to control the porosity of your hair - be it the roux, joico, or a simple acv - is important because your hair will be stronger and shinier and less likely to break because it holds mositure better when the cuticles are flat.

All of these words to say use products that work for YOU, be consistent, and give it time.

Hi Newflowers,
I appreciate your feedback, sorry I went on vacation and just got around to posting today. My hair with the hydra thermal naturals is ok. It's hard to tell though cause when I started using it I was still blow drying and flat ironing it alot. Terrible I know, but I am sure I used the flat Iron and curling Iron every day. I have really only recently started to take care of my hair, since April. Although I haven't actually had a perm in probably 8 months to a year.

I will definitely take your advice though and try to find something that works and sticking to it. I just have to find it without becoming a pj...although I think I might be too late. :lachen:I have used the roux three times or so now and will continue to use it. I will let you know how it goes and thanks again for giving me some of your knowlege.

newflowers

Hi Newflowers,
I appreciate your feedback, sorry I went on vacation and just got around to posting today. My hair with the hydra thermal naturals is ok. It's hard to tell though cause when I started using it I was still blow drying and flat ironing it alot. Terrible I know, but I am sure I used the flat Iron and curling Iron every day. I have really only recently started to take care of my hair, since April. Although I haven't actually had a perm in probably 8 months to a year.

I will definitely take your advice though and try to find something that works and sticking to it. I just have to find it without becoming a pj...although I think I might be too late. :lachen:I have used the roux three times or so now and will continue to use it. I will let you know how it goes and thanks again for giving me some of your knowlege.

No worries.

While I am most assuredly a phyto girl, I am also a big fan of trying new conditioners - fortunately, my daughters will take all of the ones I don't like. I think you'll have to try various brands and products until you find what you like, but you have to give the product a bit of time to see if it's going to work. If it works, keep it; if not, to the teenagers bathroom it goes.

When I first started using phyto, at first, I thought I didn't like it because I didn't get that immediate slick/slipperiness like other products. But I'd spent so much money on it, I had to keep using it for a few weeks until I could get something else. After a couple of weeks, I was shopping with a friend, and she asked what I'd done to my hair - other than wash, conditon, and set, the answer was nothing. She pulled out a mirror; I was shocked: my hair was more than shiney; it was glistening in the sunlight. It was amazing. Since then, it's been phyto for me. If I'd gone with my initial impression instead giving the product a minute to do its thing, I'd have tossed it without learning the great improvement and benefits to my hair.

I still love trying new products, but when you're first starting out and trying to build a regime, give the products a couple of weeks before you move on to something new.

Kimdionneca

No worries.

I still love trying new products, but when you're first starting out and trying to build a regime, give the products a couple of weeks before you move on to something new.

Thanks again, for the help and thanks for turning me onto the Roux. I will let you know how it's going after I have used it for a while.

BronxMyth

I tried PC once and it felt great, nice and smooth. The next time I tried it, it left my hair so tangled. This was after DC'ing, both times. What's up with that?

WantNatural

I tried PC once and it felt great, nice and smooth. The next time I tried it, it left my hair so tangled. This was after DC'ing, both times. What's up with that?

Maybe try using the PC before you DC. Many women in this thread found that this order worked really well for them.

I'm so glad I found this thread again. I first saw it a couple of months ago and for some reason only read the first few posts. I've just read the entire thread and I'm so inspired! I know that PC will be at least one of the answers to my dryness, increased breakage, dull hair, and the fact that none of my conditioners seem to really be working for me anymore. No slip, all tangles, tons of hair lost. My only dilemma is whether to use the ACV rinse or the Roux PC. I tried the ACV last week to clarify and my hair was a hard, tangled mess. I only diluted it 50/50
Which I am sure was the problem. I might start off with the PC first and maybe alternate with the ACV until I find the ratio that works best for me. I believe Sistalock's article stated trying 1/4 cup ACV to 2 cups water. Someone else used 1 tbl to 2 cups water, so I'm going to have to experiment to see what works for me. I'm going to try it today to see how it works.

Vonnieluvs08

Maybe try using the PC before you DC. Many women in this thread found that this order worked really well for them.

I'm so glad I found this thread again. I first saw it a couple of months ago and for some reason only read the first few posts. I've just read the entire thread and I'm so inspired! I know that PC will be at least one of the answers to my dryness, increased breakage, dull hair, and the fact that none of my conditioners seem to really be working for me anymore. No slip, all tangles, tons of hair lost. My only dilemma is whether to use the ACV rinse or the Roux PC. I tried the ACV last week to clarify and my hair was a hard, tangled mess. I only diluted it 50/50
Which I am sure was the problem. I might start off with the PC first and maybe alternate with the ACV until I find the ratio that works best for me. I believe Sistalock's article stated trying 1/4 cup ACV to 2 cups water. Someone else used 1 tbl to 2 cups water, so I'm going to have to experiment to see what works for me. I'm going to try it today to see how it works.

I found that starting out with a really weak mixture in an application bottle is a good way to judge how you hair responds. This way you aren't wasting much product if you don't like the proportions. Then you can add more ACV or water and have an accurate amount for your hair. Plus I like to apply to scalp first then apply or smoosh thru the length of my hair.

I don't let my ACV mixes sit longer than a week unless I put them in the fridge. Also if you are using this a final rinse make sure you use a really go leave-in to help with moisture retention. HTH. HHG!

divinerae

I was really impressed with how soft my hair felt after using Roux Mendex so I decided to order the PC and the shampoo from sally's today. I will probably be doing a lot more flat ironing or rollersets in the fall/winter so I think this is a good addition to my regimen.

WantNatural

I found that starting out with a really weak mixture in an application bottle is a good way to judge how you hair responds. This way you aren't wasting much product if you don't like the proportions. Then you can add more ACV or water and have an accurate amount for your hair. Plus I like to apply to scalp first then apply or smoosh thru the length of my hair.

I don't let my ACV mixes sit longer than a week unless I put them in the fridge. Also if you are using this a final rinse make sure you use a really go leave-in to help with moisture retention. HTH. HHG!

That is great advice, thank you!

CleverGypsy

I was really impressed with how soft my hair felt after using Roux Mendex so I decided to order the PC and the shampoo from sally's today. I will probably be doing a lot more flat ironing or rollersets in the fall/winter so I think this is a good addition to my regimen.
I already use Roux PC regularly (amazing stuff) and I just picked up the shampoo and Mendex from sallys. My hair needs a little protein. divinerae- how did you use Mendex?

mstar

Luxury bacon
This was one of the very first threads I read when I joined LHCF, and I've been tying to balance my porosity for the past five months. Porosity Control just didn't work for me, and the ACV rinses left my hair feeling rough and straw-like.

Just last week, I hit upon my perfect ACV mix...it turns out that I had been using too much vinegar. The first time I tried my perfect mix, the tangles melted out of my hair as I poured the rinse over it. After my hair dried, it was smooth, soft, and silky, with loads of shine. And over the next few days, it remained soft and touchable. The dry, crispy hair is finally gone!

My mix is 3/4 teaspoon ACV in 2 cups of distilled water. I think I can finally start retaining length now that my hair isn't so dry.

BlackMasterPiece

This was incredibly informative thanks newflowers!! I definitely think this is the missing step in my regimen and could be just the thing to turn my chronic dryness around!!:yep:

I shall be buying Porosity control when I come back home for labor day weekend :)

Msmia

I have been doing clear rinses and using my Roux Porosity Control and I have notice a great difference in my hair

temfash

I used porosity control for the first time this week, my hair has never felt so moisturised but it takes so much longer to dry.

twinkletoes17

I used porosity control for the first time this week, my hair has never felt so moisturised but it takes so much longer to dry.

Because your cuticles are closed :yep:

Porosity control is the best hair purchase I could've made. I was DC more, moisturing more, stretching, not stretching, protective styling, the whole shenanigans, and my hair was STILL breaking.

I used PC once and it has drastically decreased, it's nearly all gone :D I hate to sound like a commercial but PC is truly worth it, especially for those who continue to scratch their head because of their breakage problem lol.

isabella09

Excellent thread, thank you Newflowers. :yep: an ACV rinse as my final step after a steam DC was definitely the missing link in my regimen. After incorporating this as my final step, honestly, my hair was soo soft, smooth, locked-in more moisture and was virtually tangle free :cloud9::cloud9: This is amongst some of the most important steps in my regimen that I've learned on this forum.

Last edited:

Angel of the North

For a long time I've been unable to work out why my ends are so dry even after oiling them. I think I've found that missing step to complete my reggie now I'll be able to :lachen:at those dry ends.

Thank you to OP and all of you who have contributed to this super dupa thread :yep:

I'll let you know how I get on

Taleah2009

This was one of the very first threads I read when I joined LHCF, and I've been tying to balance my porosity for the past five months. Porosity Control just didn't work for me, and the ACV rinses left my hair feeling rough and straw-like.

Just last week, I hit upon my perfect ACV mix...it turns out that I had been using too much vinegar. The first time I tried my perfect mix, the tangles melted out of my hair as I poured the rinse over it. After my hair dried, it was smooth, soft, and silky, with loads of shine. And over the next few days, it remained soft and touchable. The dry, crispy hair is finally gone!

My mix is 3/4 teaspoon ACV in 2 cups of distilled water. I think I can finally start retaining length now that my hair isn't so dry.

I was wondering if this every happened to anyone before. I tried an ACV rinse the other day. and WHOA! My hair did not respond. It knotted so quick (first time that every happened). But I need something to help my dry ends, so I will play around with my measurements. Less vinegar. I used 1 tablespoon of vinegar and 1 cup of tap water. Does the water have to be distilled?

isabella09

:wave: I just wondered if any of you ladies store your ACV rinse in the refrigerator (as mine has started to ferment)? And if so, how long does the rinse last in it’s refrigerated state? Thanks very much.

mstar

Luxury bacon
:wave: I just wondered if any of you ladies store your ACV rinse in the refrigerator (as mine has started to ferment)? And if so, how long does the rinse last in it’s refrigerated state? Thanks very much.
I make mine fresh each time. I use 2 cups of water, pour it over my head, and I'm done.

melodies815

This may be really silly, but I love the way Roux PC feels between my fingers as I apply it to my hair. It's all slippery and slidey (made-up word). I like. :grin:

Ms_Twana

It occurred to me that there are a number of new members who have dryness, strength, products, breakage, tangling issues, and perhaps what they have is lifted cuticle issues - which can be fixed by acidifying the hair, thus the need for Porosity Control, a properly prepared acv rinse, or being aware of the pH of your hair products.

For a time, there were a number of posts about porosity but not so many lately that I've noticed. What do you ladies think - how are you hardening the hair shaft after treating it? Are you using products to ensure the cuticle lie flat? For the newer ladies, are you in the know (and I'm late as usual) about the need to lower the pH of your hair? Do you know the pH of your water and hair products and the difference between/importance of alkaline or acid levels in your hair products?

What cha talkin bout, Willis???

Heck, I ain't a newbie and I still didn't know anything about laying the cuticle flat and acid levels in hair products. I did read that long thread on porous hair and it was like reading French. I had no idea what they were talking about. But, I'm assuming that this is the reason my ends keep getting frizzy. They're not dry or damaged like I originally thought. And I almost cut my hair after reading some threads of ladies with dry/frizzy ends wanting advice, and a million and one ladies told them to cut their hair. Some of ya'll are scissor happy!! :lachen: Anyway, I asked a stylist in Trade Secret to look at my ends, and she said they weren't damaged at all. Then a SA at Sally's did a strand test and confirmed as well that my hair is healthy. So ACV rinse is what I need, not scissors!!! :yep:

ETA: So does AVC rinse have a different affect than Porosity Control??

Last edited:

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this but...

If I understand this porosity thing correctly, it involves the degree to which your hair absorbs and releases moisture. This is apparently related to the degree of openness of the cuticles (more open = more absorption/loss). The degree of cuticle opening depends upon pH (acidic = closed cuticle, basic = opened cuticle) ...

Presuming that that is all correct, would it be useful/logical to do some variation of the following every week?

1) Wash hair (diluted shampoo = to get out built up product)
2) Baking soda wash (high pH/basic = pore/cuticle opening in order to absorb DC)
3) Apply DC (let it seep into the wide open pores/cuticles = deep penetration)
4) ACV rinse (low pH/acidic = pore/cuticle closing/sealing in order to seal in the benefits of the DC)

**Note: I basically am presuming that ACV is acidic. But a Google search didn't really give a clear answer. Any insight on that would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

I saw this post and I thought it made perfect sense to use both baking soda first to open the cuticle and then ACV to close the cuticle. But I'm really surprised that noone responded to this comment.:confused: Perhaps someone who is a porosity guru can give more insight on this train of thought. This is also not the first time I have heard that if you use baking soda in your hair care, that you should also use ACV to follow.

Supervixen

So, are most of you all using the PC shampoo or conditioner? Friday I bought the shampoo, and I noticed a couple of things...

#1. My hair didn't really get many suds. Is this normal? I felt like I needed to use another shampoo to clean my scalp; is this true?

#2. The ends of my driest parts are feeling slightly better. Is this something I need to repeat often to get my hair to absorb more moisture?

mstar

Luxury bacon
I saw this post and I thought it made perfect sense to use both baking soda first to open the cuticle and then ACV to close the cuticle. But I'm really surprised that noone responded to this comment.:confused: Perhaps someone who is a porosity guru can give more insight on this train of thought. This is also not the first time I have heard that if you use baking soda in your hair care, that you should also use ACV to follow.
Afiya started a new thread asking her question about baking soda & ACV, and Gymfreak gave some VERY thorough and detailed answers: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=365431&highlight=

Basically, it's not a good idea to try and open the cuticles w/baking soda, then close them with ACV.

Supervixen

So, are most of you all using the PC shampoo or conditioner? Friday I bought the shampoo, and I noticed a couple of things...

#1. My hair didn't really get many suds. Is this normal? I felt like I needed to use another shampoo to clean my scalp; is this true?

#2. The ends of my driest parts are feeling slightly better. Is this something I need to repeat often to get my hair to absorb more moisture?

I tried again last night, with marvelous results!!!!

First, I did a dry protein pre-poo with ORS Hair Mayo. I let it set for about an hour with heat.

Then, I shampoo'd with NTM 2x. I did a final 2 poo'ings with Porosity Control.

I did my moisture DC with NTM Daily Deep Masque and let it set for an hour with heat.

Then I used NTM Leave in and sealed with Shea Butter. I rolled my hair for a wet set with Black 'n' Sassy Wrap Creme (I <3 this stuff).

I dried on the cool setting and did a Silk Wrap. My hair feels like butter. Even the spots that were notoriously dry before feel as soft, smooth, and moisturized as the rest of my hair. I didn't even have to hit my roots with the flat iron!

Ladies, is Porosity a step that should be taken with each wash or is that overkill?