Poll-how long do u wait between retouches

Boadicea

I also wait 6 months. Twice a year does it for my hair. It's harder to get the comb through but I don't like using too many chemicals too often.

mirrormirror

My previous relaxer was on June 8. So Im going on about two months. I'll most likely touch up again at the end of August. Usually I go longer but I love the fresh touch-up look

Isis

9-10 weeks. I've done up to 12 weeks in the past, but I get too much hair loss. However, I wasn't caring for my hair as well as I am now. This is my 9th week and I will do a retouch (new growth looks good but too nappy)

sithembile

usually 8 weeks because my hair starts to break if I wait much longer, although I'm going to try stretching it out to 10 next time.

pebbles

7 to 10 weeks.

love2praz

8 weeks for me. After that, I experience too much breakage...I've tried to go longer many times but learned the hard way that it doesn't work for my hair...

pebbles

Girl, me too. 10 weeks is pushing it. I'm better off between 7 and 9 weeks. I get way too much breakage.

love2praz

I'm glad I'm not the only one, Pebbles!
I use to feel real bad for going only 8 weeks but realized it was what I had to do to avoid breakage!

beana3

love 2praz, honeycomb, pebbles.... the breakage really does become a huge issue if i try to strecth my hair beyond 10 weeks (sometimes 8 weeks is pushing it).
I suspect that some of my previous uncontrollable breakage came from extending MY relaxers too far in between. I was confused because at the sight of breakage i did not want to put a chemical in my hair in fear that it would aggravate the problem. Now I'm seeing that waiting too long is what probably caused it. Anyhoo.. I'm really optimistic about the faster growth i've been getting lately (which in turn means closer touch ups, but no closer than 6 or 7 weeks).

nita4

10 to 12 weeks now, with my first goal being 16 weeks and my untimate goal being every 6 months.

HelloKitty

Well, I've never learned to do my own retouches, and since I am away at college for most of the year my relaxers get stretched out by default. I always get one a few days before school starts in August, then another one when I come home for Thanksgiving break, then another at the end of January of winter break. I do come home one more time for Spring Break, but I don't retouch because the school year is almost over, and when it starts to heat up I wear my hair in naturally curly styles or buns. Over the summer, I just wash frequently and condition well so I can start the cycle all over in August. I guess this was a long way of saying that I really don't know how many weeks I go between relaxers, but I do know that I got my last one at the end of January and haven't had one since, so I guess its been about 7 months.

karezone

HelloKitty. This Fall will be my first semester away from school, I plan on continuing to do my own on a regular schedule. My aunt lives in the same city as my college so I can use her kitchen or tub to my retouch. Maybe you should try doing it yourself.

HelloKitty

Hiya Karezone, to be really honest, I am so scared of trying to relax my own hair that I can't see myself doing it anytime in the near future. I go to UMBC, in Maryland, and all of my relatives, including my mom(who does my retouches for me)live in VA. I tried going to a salon once to get a professional retouch, and while the relaxer came out nice, she took it upon herself to cut about 4 inches off my hair under the pretense of "dusting the ends". That experience has made me very wary of going to salons, even though there are many nearby my school. I really do want to become better skilled at doing my own hair, which is one of the reasons why I joined this board, for all the great tips(Thanks ladies!)

S

Stylepink

...about 10-12 weeks. Any longer and I need the National Guard to get thru it!

keylargo

wow, this has been very encouraging to read. Thank all of you for sharing. i might as well try to go 10 weeks