Stretching - um not so much...

digitalmuse66

I JUST did a retouch the first friday in march and now im fighting with my hair where the roots are actually starting to get curls and the plan was to wait at least 7-8 weeks before retouching and im not too sure I will be able to. I can't comb through this - scared it will start breaking...

anyone else have difficulty or find it impossible to stretch between retouches?

soulie

Keep it moisturized; and go with low manipulation.... don't comb it hard, don't comb it dry. Use your fingers as much as possible.

Barbie83

I feel you.... I'm wondering what the benefit of stretching is. I'm trying to go 10 weeks and my hair looks a hot mess right now!

MummysGirl

Co-signing with her...
Low Manipulation styles, detangle/comb your new growth only when hair is wet and with a moisturising conditioner in. You can also detangle damp hair with a moisturising leave in applied.
I am 14.5 weeks post and combing doesn't lead to breakage as long as I follow the above.

Keep it moisturized; and go with low manipulation.... don't comb it hard, don't comb it dry. Use your fingers as much as possible.

soulie

I feel you.... I'm wondering what the benefit of stretching is. I'm trying to go 10 weeks and my hair looks a hot mess right now!

One primary benefit of stretching is having sufficient new growth to avoid overlapping at the next touchup. Stretching isn't for everyone; and long stretches are for even fewer. Some people only go about 10-12 weeks - if they have enough new growth at that time, they touchup.

~NanCeBoTwin~

Co-signing with her...
Low Manipulation styles, detangle/comb your new growth only when hair is wet and with a moisturising conditioner in. You can also detangle damp hair with a moisturising leave in applied.
I am 14.5 weeks post and combing doesn't lead to breakage as long as I follow the above.

I'm also half way through my 14th week of stretching and I ONLY comb my hair when its wet and slathered with conditioner. I use an app. bottle to apply 100% aloe vera juice to my NG and it keeps it soft and moist..

digitalmuse66

Thanks for the responses, Im pretty much about at that point right now. I can't really comb it unless its wet/moisturized and I keep it bunned(mini) or in a pony tail.

The most manipulation it gets is when i wash it/deep condition. I work out so i wind up having to wash it around three times a week(at least) deep condition at least 2x's a week - right now can't do much other than wash condition seal and bun it up or ponytail it up....

lana

You may also want to try straightening shampoos and conditioners. I know for myself I'm texlaxed (4a/b) and I love Redken Smooth down - the entire line or Nexxus Straight Shampoo and Conditioner. I'm currently using Nioxin Smoothing Complex. Anything that smoothes the hair and makes it easier to straighten, helps me to stretch.

I stretch mainly to avoid overlapping, but for me if I overlap the worst that could happen is I would end up Relaxing instead of Texlaxing. :lachen: I gues you have to be a Texlaxer to get that joke. :)

sharifeh

ya my last stretch did NOT go well
it lasted like 10 weeks I got terrible knots in my hair (it was not braided)

My last relaxer after the stretch, march 11, was so bad that it did not "take" I think that's the right term, I am only 2 weeks post but my hair looks and feels like it is like 6 weeks post

(sigh)

Last edited:

digitalmuse66

You may also want to try straightening shampoos and conditioners. I know for myself I'm texlaxed (4a/b) and I love Redken Smooth down - the entire line or Nexxus Straight Shampoo and Conditioner. I'm currently using Nioxin Smoothing Complex. Anything that smoothes the hair and makes it easier to straighten, helps me to stretch.

I stretch mainly to avoid overlapping, but for me if I overlap the worst that could happen is I would end up Relaxing instead of Texlaxing. :lachen: I gues you have to be a Texlaxer to get that joke. :)
naw I actually get it lol only because of hanging out on this site.

As far as products I doubt I switch at this point - just got into a routine with the stuff I use which is good just have to make adjustments for not being able to comb through it and watch for breakage if it gets too rough..
doubt if i make it to 10 weeks though ...:look:

HoneyDew

So you are almost 4 weeks post?

That is just a bit too soon, imo. Can you try to stretch it another 2 or 3 weeks at least?

1Aleeesha

Co-signing with her...

And deep condition the mess out of it!

digitalmuse66

So you are almost 4 weeks post?

That is just a bit too soon, imo. Can you try to stretch it another 2 or 3 weeks at least?

That's what I am trying to do - as stated earlier in the thread, its already getting curly at the roots and is just about impossible to comb. My biggest concern now is breakage...or how long I can keep it like this without it starting to break off...

ms_alanna

Hi,

I am 3 months post and so far my stretch has been great. I have no complaints about it being hard to comb and since I keep it moisturized and conditioned I have not seen a overwhelming amount of breakage.

Jadore_tay

I am dealing with the same thing. I stretched for 3 months the last time and got a touch up done the 1st week in march. My hair is starting to break and airdrying does not work for ME no matter what I use. So I got a protein conditioner from sallys and I will dc with it followed by a moisturizing one then I will relax when I'm 6 weeks post.
I feel your pain I cant take it either

digitalmuse66

im guessing that part of being able to stretch will depend on the type hair you have i.e. coarse, fine, etc....

Mine is extremely coarse, curly wiry etc....which i would think makes it harder to stretch even with the moisturizers and conditioning....

Jadore_tay

im guessing that part of being able to stretch will depend on the type hair you have i.e. coarse, fine, etc....

Mine is extremely coarse, curly wiry etc....which i would think makes it harder to stretch even with the moisturizers and conditioning....

you can stretch with coarse, curly etc but maybe your hair is underprocessed. Thats what I am going thru.

MoniintheMiddle

I am on my second stretch (the last time I went 26 weeks). I am currently at 14 weeks and it has been relatively easy for me...but I do have a regimen. On wash day I apply ORS hair mayonnaise--generously. I leave that on for 10-15 minutes then rinse out. I shampoo and condition. I apply my DC'ner (ORS replenishing) and mix a little oil in it. I sit under the heat cap for 30-45 minutes. Rinse and blowdry...NOTE-i have learned that I CANNOT airdry when I get this far post relaxer.

yuriko

I just don't comb my hair. I comb it only once a week after a serious DC. I wear ponytail rollersets or flexirods at the beginning of the week, towards the end of the week I start co-washing and wearing buns and braid outs. Mind you, I only comb my hair on sundays.

It gets easier once you get the hang of it. I have 4a hair at the crown and 4b at the back and sides

HoneyDew

That's what I am trying to do - as stated earlier in the thread, its already getting curly at the roots and is just about impossible to comb. My biggest concern now is breakage...or how long I can keep it like this without it starting to break off...

I know how you feel, believe me. it has taken a lot of trial and error to find products and conditioners to get me over that hump.

Some of us just cannot stretch, or have yet to find a way like others have.

What products are you using, I did not see that in the thread. What conditioners and moisturizers and leave ins. What styles are you wearing?

digitalmuse66

I know how you feel, believe me. it has taken a lot of trial and error to find products and conditioners to get me over that hump.

Some of us just cannot stretch, or have yet to find a way like others have.

What products are you using, I did not see that in the thread. What conditioners and moisturizers and leave ins. What styles are you wearing?
Right now I am using custom blend Mizani conditioner (Kerafuse/Hydrafuse) which is working great for dc's
As to leave in - split between lacio lacio and APhogee Pro vitamin Leave In
Whether I blow dry or not - I usually follow up with ORS Carrot oil just lil bit.
Right now because of the way my new growth is coming in im mainly wearing a mini bun, a pony tail or a couple of french braids I haven't flatironed in a minute and actually plan not to at least not till after i retouch.

MissNina

Libra Girl
Okay that is barely 4 weeks post. Honestly, your new growth shouldn't be THAT difficult to comb through just yet. I see you just joined the site, so maybe you're just a little scared prematurely? As long as you follow the steps other ladies have pointed out with moisturizing conditioners and careful handling, I'm 99% positive you will be fine and experience minimal breakage (imo, at least a very minimal amount cannot be avoided).

Ppl w/ various types of hair usually only start getting breakage after the 6-8 week mark. . .and usually that soon solely b/c of insufficient knowledge or improper handling. Your hair will be fine, trust me! The ladies gave you good advice. HTH and good luck :)