Poll-how long do u wait between retouches

keylargo

I'd like to hear from everyone the number of weeks you currently go between relaxer retouches. Currently, I'm six weeks into my relaxer but I know I will wait at least 8 weeks before retouching. I believe this is an important key to growing hair long.

dahllia

Right now Im at 12 weeks but if I dont transition, Ill probably go twice a year. Sounds kinda crazy but I have to see how it turns out. You know, I used to touch up every six weeks and I cant for the life of me figure out WHY my own common sense didnt tell me that it was not necessary and even damaging.
I am sooooo glad I found this board. Every time I look at the inches of healthy, shiny natural hair, I think to myself that I cannot believe that I was always rushing to straighten it out, never giving my hair a chance to freaking breathe. Now I cannot wait to see how much more healthy hair will grow out, as I figure out just what to do to keep it healthy.

EmeraldSky

10 to 16 weeks depending on how much new growth I have. I try to stetch it out as long as possible because I think it's healthier for my scalp and because I love to get a touchup after waiting a long time because then theres more new length.

keylargo

[ QUOTE ]
10 to 16 weeks depending on how much new growth I have. I try to stetch it out as long as possible because I think it's healthier for my scalp and because I love to get a touchup after waiting a long time because then theres more new length.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm glad you mentioned that because i was starting to feel discouraged about my growth. i really can't tell how much length i have retained because of the shrinkage from my new growth. i'm sure when i finally do retouch my hair, i will be able to better tell how much length i have.

beana3

8 weeks normally. The last two re-touches i've needed after 6 weeks ( it was hell sticking out until 8 weeks), my hair is growing faster these days.

I have hair that will break more and benefit less from extending between relaxers too long.

G

i have recently been doing my retouches every 4 weeks b/c after so long my scalp gets sore and it gets hard 4 me to comb. it gets so thick that it won't lay down like i want it and it's like i have a mini afro and that's not the look that i'm going for. can anyone help a sistah out.

B

ballet_bun

I have been trying to wait every 3months. I wonder what twice a year would be like. Wow, I would really have to work my way up to that!!!

ballet bun ...

beana3

[ QUOTE ]
i have recently been doing my retouches every 4 weeks b/c after so long my scalp gets sore and it gets hard 4 me to comb. it gets so thick that it won't lay down like i want it and it's like i have a mini afro and that's not the look that i'm going for. can anyone help a sistah out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get the same way at 6 weeks.. i completely feel you on the "mini fro" thing, lol! Maybe you should try to wear cornrows (if you dont mind) to extend at least 2 more weeks in between realaxers.

I'm in a very similiar predicament this time myself, I have nearly 1 inch of new growth and my hair is becoming a pain to style. I'm going to rollerset it my next wash to see if the new growth smooths out, if it doesn't then ii'll know i defintetly need a touch up.

kandyland

usually 8 weeks but I'm currently at 10 weeks and I plan on going until 12 weeks.....My ultimate goal is to wait up until 16 weeks

debyjay

Currently 8 weeks and hoping to keep it at that but I lose so much hair between after my 6th week that I have to choose between 6 and 8 weeks. My new growth is what kills me I think even though I have the handle on softening it.

karezone

3 months. Maybe I should set a goal to go longer maybe this time I will wait 3 months and two weeks. And then increase it by two weeks until I learn exactly how long I can wait before it gets damaging.

MissJ

6 weeks. I don't see getting frequent relaxers as a problem when trying to gain length.

Britt

now about 10 every wks... usually about every 14-16 (that was when my hair was longer and I could put it in a ponytail for a few weeks)

honeycomb719

I agree w/ you Beana, waiting to long for me reeks havoc on my hair. Lately I've been going 8-10weeks between. Depending on the growth I've achieved.....

keylargo

I know everyone's hair is different but it seems that the longer I wait the better. I'm starting to do my own retouches and I want to have a good inch to maybe even an inch in a half of newgrowth to work with. I think it is almost impossible to not overlap with just 1/2 inch of newgrowth. I'm sure some can do it but I can't.

I use to not be able to go longer than six weeks between retouches. since I do conditioner washes almost every other day and wear protective styles, I can finally wait longer.

TsAngel

At the bare minimum 8 weeks, no sooner, but I can some times stretch until 12 weeks.

I let my hair and scalp guide me.

TsAngel