Paging CICI24 or anyone using Henna...

iris

I just used Hennalucent in 'gleaming black' and was wondering if you were still using your henna mix? If so, how is your hair coming along? To the henna mix I added castor oil, olive oil, GBP conditioner, and AO Rosemary rinse. My hair came out very thick and full. After doing a search on henna, I think this is the route I'll go for awhile since I'm looking for a product to color and condition my hair at the same time. I also use Fantasia's leave-in and I'll post my results in a couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to hopefully posting nothing but a positive report. Again, I'm very curious to know how is your henna treatment going if you are still using it.

Thanks,
Iris

CICI24

Hi Iris!!
I haven't used it in about 3 months because I had my hair braided I was going to apply some last weekend but I am waiting on my protein conditioner to come in the mail. I really need another henna treatment because my hair starts to tangle and break easy if I go too long without it.
Are you relaxed? Why are you using Hennalucent instead of Henna what's the difference? Henna is wonderful if applied correctly you should have good results the biggest difference I notice when I use it is strong, thicker, tangle free hair, my hair is never dry but really moisturized. You make me want to go do a treatment!

CICI

iris

Hi CICI24!...

Thinking all henna is the same, I bought the Hennalucent because I remember Caramela had given a rave review about it on the old board. But after reading the instruction booklet, I now see that all henna is not equal. The Hennalucent booklet says, "Hennalucent is the only professional henna product that penetrates the hairshaft through natural, organic absorption to deliver long-term shine, body and beautiful color highlights. Only Hennalucent is totally compatible with all chemical services BECAUSE IT DOES NOT COAT THE HAIR THE WAY OTHER HENNA PRODUCTS DO. Hennalucent is a unique formulation of micro-refined henna, hydrolyzed protein, pH neutralizers and rich, organic conditioners that revitalizes all types of hair. It repairs split ends, adds new strength and vitality. Even dry, damaged, chemically treated hair becomes healthier and more vibrant....

I have been natural for several months now, chopping off as much of my relaxed ends as I could. Hada and Mahalialee also use henna and I'm glad I researched the henna threads because it was your post about the GoldMedal Herbal and stressing to add a conditioner, essential/carrier oils, that really made my first henna experience very positive /images/graemlins/clap.gif! As I said, my hair came out very thick, full. The color is a nice deep black also /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Question: You said your hair tangles and breaks easy w/o henna. Did it always do this before you started using henna or after you stopped using it? What brand of henna do you use? What specifically do you add to your mix? How long is your hair and did the henna help you retain the length?

Thanks for your reply,
Iris

hada

Hey CICI24,

I use henna also. It is EXTREMELY moisturing and you are right about using it correctly. My hair doesn't tangle or dry out either, I can go w/o combing for a couple of days and not get alot of shedding. /images/graemlins/smile.gif It is the best thing I have used for a bit of texturizing effect and the cuticles are smoothed.

hada

Hi Iris,

To get a dark color you can also add indigo, go here:

http://www.everydayhenna.com there is good info on henna and application of it.
However I get mine from Rainbow Research company (Persian red henna) from a local store. I am going to try the Jamila brand of henna whenever I get more $$. I like to use the red tones for that reddish highlight in the sun.

hada

iris

Hi hada!

Thanks alot for that website and your suggestion about adding indigo! I loooooveeee silky Jet Black hair with bluish or a deep purple tint! Very, very EXOTIC /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm glad your henna treatments are working out so well for you /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Thanks to your posts , CICI24, and Mahalialee, I have plenty an idea about how to create a very moisturizing, henna recipe! If it had not been for you all saying how you added oils/conditioners to your henna recipe, As I told CICI24, my first experience was very positive because of the additional advice to add oils/ conditioners. It may not have turned out so well, if you guys didn't include your recipe, so I just want to give a <font color="blue">HEARTY THANK YOU TO YOU ALL</font>. I think I'll try the Rainbow brand also. Now that I know the key to making henna work for you is in adding some type of moisture, moisture, moisture, I'm looking forward to having thick, long, lustrous locks in no time /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Iris

CICI24

Iris,
I have very fine hair naturally but the Henna gives it the extra strength it needs so when I don't use it I have problems with my hair being tangled which causes my hair to break. I use about 1/4 cup of castor oil and a few powdered herbs or herbal tea and 1/4 cup of conditioner either GPB or Gold Medals Intense herbal conditioner. I usually use Mountain something, Oh my I forgot the name of it. But anyway, I have the Rainbow brand under my sink, I can't wait to use it!

hada

You are very welcomed Iris,

Yes adding oils does help and the henna seals that oil in with the hair too. Try adding some Vitamin C powder also.
You can add natural things to it as long as it is acidic.

hada

hada

Hi CICI24,

You are referring to Light mountain with the animals on it...lol.

I tried it once and it was ok....I like the Rainbow better. I took my second batch of Lightmountain and mixed it with the rest of my Rainbow. I have a big zip lock bag of henna, probably about 500grams total of red tones.

In my recipe I add:

Hot water
Rosemary e.o.
Castor/avocado oils
Vitamin C powder
ACV (apple cidar vinegar) to fix on tothe gray hairs

I will try some ideas from Mahalialee also.

I will try adding nettles and horsetail to my water and strain it.

hada

hada

Hi Iris,

I forgot to say that blue black is VERY sexy!!! I have worn that color for years and does provide great contrast in my complexion. I am growing that out now because the chemicals were not good. Iam trying the red tones for somethign different. I wanted that color like that lady in the shampoo commercial, don't recall what brand, but she is slowly walking out in a short robe with long, dark hair, and they show hair shampooing then as she exits she turns around in slow motion and tosses her hair. Her hair is very dark with red highlight tones and I just love it!

I may eventually go back to that blue black using indigo.

hada

kasey

Hey girls,

I started using Gold Medal Herbal Tame a few years ago and liked the effect on my hair. It was a little straighter, stronger and more manageable, but there never seemed to be enough in the package.

This time last year when I took my braids out I was about to order more when I realized that I could make it myself. Herbal Tame is made with henna, aloe vera, cornsilk, nettle and sage.

I got Colora brand neutral henna from a local beauty store and bought powdered herbs from VitaminShoppe. I mixed the henna with the powdered herbs and often added olive or jojoba oil to the mixture along with a mild protein conditioner and one-half to one cup of hot water. I mixed the henna into a smooth paste then draped a towel over my shoulders and started applying from the middle of my head--henna is very messy. I covered my head with a few plastic caps and a scarf or a towel. Then I let the henna stay on my hair about an hour. I get in the shower to rinse, and rinse, without disturbing my hair for about ten minutes to get all of the mixture out of my hair. Then I follow with a moisturizing conditioner.

I started doing the henna treatments regularly from Jan through May last year and got great results. My hair became easier to manage. I tweaked the recipe and began using a strong brew of herbal teas as the water. I also started using a few spoonfuls of the herbal conditioner by Nature's Gate along with olive and jojoba oils.

If your hair is not damaged, I suggest doing the henna treatment every four to six weeks. If you do it more frequently it may cause your hair to feel dry. Henna is a mild protein that also conditions the hair. It worked very well to help tame my natural hair.

I haven't done a henna treatment for quite a while. My hair has been very manageable lately, but I may do one this week just because the topic has come up. As you know, henna treatments are great, but require planning because they are very messy!

I am really glad that you guys are having success with the homemade herbal tame recipe.

I also have used Rainbow Henna in neutral, never any of the colors. But right now I have a jar of Persian Burgundy and Persian Dark Brown in my closet which I may experiment with in the spring and summer months. I have read that when you use colored henna you should add lemon juice or some other acid to help improve the color penetration.

iris

Hi Kasey!

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate all the information you posted here. I was thinking of using the henna every two weeks to loosen my curl pattern. I'm a natural newbie and have noticed that whenever I sit in a hot tub, my hair reverts like it does when I wash it. It doesn't matter whether I use a flat iron , curling iron, etc., it just reverts. I love the styles I get from my curling iron, and want to wear my hair in these styles for the summer. However, if my hair reacts to heat in the summer the way it does in the bathtub, I think I'm in trouble. This is what led me to henna because I don't ever want to relax anymore, and the henna treatment seems like a beautiful alternative to any chemical service. I don't expect it to dramatically straighten my hair. I'm quite realistic, but I am enjoying a stronger, shinier,looser curl pattern and with that I AM JUST ECSTATIC!

Thanks again for your post,
Iris

iris

OK, I did my first henna treatment Friday(which was totally successful), and couldn't wait the whole seven days for my next wash (got into the habit of washing my hair every 3 days or so). When I washed my hair today, I couldn't believe that my natural hair was as straight as it was when I had a relaxer! <font color="red">On top of this, my hair was oh sooooo very soft!!!</font> This henna is definately a keeper for me /images/graemlins/grin.gif. BTW, I only lost a few hairs during comb out! An extra advantage of using this product /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Thanks again and again ladies for posting your henna routine! I'm real excited about the possibility of my hair looking like the picture of the lady on the hennalucent pamphlet! Yup, even though the photo is a drawing, I'm looking forward to it being that long, thick and luscious /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Iris

Amethyst

Hi Iris

After my hair began growing, I was on the search for a product to help me retain every inch that I earned /images/graemlins/wink.gif I found that henna mixed in with conditioning agents as you've said got me where I wanted to go! It really did the trick /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I found that by internally fortifying my system with nutrients, and externally adding nutrients/conditioners to my henna mix, This duo provided a spectacular one-two punch, and I haven't been looking back since /images/graemlins/grin.gif Keep up the great work and...

Happy Hair Growing /images/graemlins/wink.gif,
Amethyst

hada

Hey Iris,

What mixtures did you use?....I am curious and glad it was successful for you. /images/graemlins/drunk.gif
That softness does spoil ya doesn't it... /images/graemlins/wink.gif It is amazing!!
hada

hada

Hmmmmm Just thought od something? I cant recall if I posted it before, I may have, but the next time I do a henna, I will add some B5 (Pantothenic acid-opening a cap) to my mixture.

Would anyone know if MSM would be safe too?

iris

Hi Hada/images/graemlins/wave.gif

I always wash my hair first before applying my mix, but I used the same ingred. as I said in the above thread the first time I ever used henna. Castor/olive oil, and AO GPB Conditioner. That's all she wrote! My hair is in the 3's classification, but I used to use a mild relaxer to straighten it a little more. I washed my hair with creme of nature shampoo, then use acv, then use a cholesterol as my conditioner. Again, the way my hair went straight during my wash, was how it used to get straight when I had a relaxer /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I used Hennalucent's Gleaming Ebony, but today since it's my wash day, I am going to apply the Neutral. This will be my 2nd time applying henna to my hair and I am just in love with this product!!!

btw, I see no problem in adding any nutrient to your mix. If it's safe enough for us to take internally, then it should be safe on the hair as well. It's organic sulfur, a component of hair anyway, so there should be absolutely no problemas /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Iris

QUESTION: Does anyone know if henna is safe in dying the brows? I know entertainers get theirs dyed and I'm wondering if they use henna because of the naturalness of the product?

Mahalialee4

Re: IRIS

Did you say that you left this mix in for 3 days or did I misunderstand your post? And did you mean that you added relaxer to the mixture? Forgive me if I misunderstood. Bonjour.

kasey

I was thinking the same thing. Did you actually leave your henna pack on your hair for three days?

Also: In India, henna is used to make intricate patterns on the hands and feet. So I would assume that it is safe for the brows. I imagine that you have to be very careful though. It probably can color your skin if it is not applied carefully.

Hada, I don't think adding B-5 or MSM to the mixture would cause a problem, however you do have to be careful when adding acids and alkaline substances to colored henna.

iris

OOps sorry guys...

I meant to say I wash my hair every 3-days. I used my first mix last Friday, and after 3-days I washed my hair and it still came out straight the way it did when I had a relaxer. I'm natural now, but amazingly the henna straightens my hair the way my mild relaxer did. Sorry for the mix-up ladies. I hope this post corrected any misunderstandings.

Iris