For Relaxed Ladies BSL or Longer Using Henna

LovelyLionessa

Henna Sooq said:
Hello ladies,

Great to see more ladies loving their henna and natural hair products.

As for 100 grams of henna powder it makes about 350 grams of paste and this is just with adding the regular amount of liquid. Now many of you also might be adding indigo or amla etc to your batch and that will also go a lot further for you.
The good thing though is that you can freeze any leftover henna paste for up to 6 months, and that goes for all the pastes except for indigo (as that won't keep). So you will get your money's worth.

There is a very informative article that another forum member put together and there is a lot of good information that we should all read:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51646

Khadija

Henna Sooq, I wanted to ask you, I have some amla powder I want use in a mixture with some henna I have on hand plus your lovely indigo. How does this recipie sound:

200 grams of henna
100 grams of amla powder
100 grams of indigo

Plus I'm going to add coconut oil and yogurt too. Is it okay to use that much amla powder? I have never used it before, just the oil, I want to push my mixture to a dark shade like espresso.

I absolutely love that link from the longhaircommunity, I pour over it from time to time. :grin:

Isis

fancypants007 said:
Hey Girl, are you thinking about doing henna treatments? To answer your questions:

1. I started again last December. I knew about henna, but was persuaded by the bad things people say about henna so I stopped. I started again about 6 months ago and have been doing it ever since.

2. I try to do it every other week or once a month. I definitely do a henna treatment after I do my relaxer touch-up.

3. Always, always, always, BAQ from hennaforhair.com or the vendor Mehndiskinart.com. I also understand that fromnaturewithlove.com has an excellent quality of henna. I've never used it but they have a good price for a large quantity as well. I'm thinking about purchasing a small amount and see how it compares with the other companies I've purchased from.

4. My hair is dark brown/off black, and henna just tints it with red. You see it only when you're in the sunlight. It has covered the few strands of gray hair copper/red, but the rest of my hair appears to be the same color. The color is subtle and in the sun or bright light you can see the highlights. It is verrrrrrry pretty. I remember this girl in college who had dark brown hair with these reddish/burgundy highlights and it shined like nobody's business. It was absolutely beautiful. That's when I first learned about henna.

5. Henna keeps your hair in good tip top condition. My hair appears to be so thick (I have fine strands, but I have alot of volume). My hair is strong and it is getting better everyday. I just love the whole experience. I'm pampering my hair with nourishment not only internally, but externally and henna helps me fight against these forces by reinforcing my hair with strength. I absolutely love henna and hennaforhair.com has alot of information about the benefits of henna. I love visiting her site.

I hope this has been helpful to you!
This was certainly very helpful to me too! Thank you Fancypants for the details!:)

Isis

Henna Sooq said:
Hello ladies,

Great to see more ladies loving their henna and natural hair products.

As for 100 grams of henna powder it makes about 350 grams of paste and this is just with adding the regular amount of liquid. Now many of you also might be adding indigo or amla etc to your batch and that will also go a lot further for you.
The good thing though is that you can freeze any leftover henna paste for up to 6 months, and that goes for all the pastes except for indigo (as that won't keep). So you will get your money's worth.

There is a very informative article that another forum member put together and there is a lot of good information that we should all read:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51646

Khadija
Thank you for the link Henna Sooq! I'm checking it out now...:fan:

Wishin4BSL

I really want to try henna, but I'm still afraid that all my hair will fall out!:lol: I think I'll wait until my next relaxer and see how I feel then.:)

Softresses

Priestess said:
Henna Sooq, I wanted to ask you, I have some amla powder I want use in a mixture with some henna I have on hand plus your lovely indigo. How does this recipie sound:

200 grams of henna
100 grams of amla powder
100 grams of indigo

Plus I'm going to add coconut oil and yogurt too. Is it okay to use that much amla powder? I have never used it before, just the oil, I want to push my mixture to a dark shade like espresso.

I absolutely love that link from the longhaircommunity, I pour over it from time to time. :grin:

The 100g of Amla sounds like way too much. It is a great conditioner but you don't want to use too much. It can be drying. It is a strong citrus fruit. When I started using it I put in 50g, then after a few times cut back to 2tbs. It works great. It keeps my hair a dark red.

Softresses

KiniKakes

1. How long have you been using it?

I just did my fourth application yesterday...... and Ive been using it once a week since I began. So its been about a month and a half.

2. How often do you use henna?

Once per week

3. What is your favorite brand of henna or source for purchasing henna?

Jamilla Henna, ordered from MehandiArt.com

4. If your hair was dark brown before and you wanted it to stay dark brown, what did you do with your henna?

My hair is off black, and I did NOT want any color release at all. I am only using it for the conditioning effect. I did not want jet black hair, thus I did not order Indigo. So my mix consists of Henna, Suave Milk & Honey Conditioner, Amla Oil, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Honey, and Jamaican Black Castor Oil. (I use 1 box of the Jamilla Henna). I apply the Henna immedietely after mixing it, instead of letting it sit for hours. I dont get ANY color release this way, only the conditioning aspect.

5. What is your most positive experience using henna on your hair?

My hair is WAY thicker and fuller after i use the Henna. It looks really full and as though i have more strands than i actually do. Unfortunately, the affects are only temporary for me. When I wash my hair without doing the henna before, my hair looks like it used too (flatter, less body).

In my Fokti, i have a Henna album in which I describe my experience, and I also talk about it in more detail in the My Journals section of my Fokti.

Khadija.D.Carryl

I do agree that the amla powder is a bit much. I add about 2 tbsp as well to my mix and it tones it down a good amount (the henna), if you want darker tones then I would go with 75% indigo in your proportions. Like for the amounts you were speaking of I would go with 150 grams henna, 2 tbsp amla powder, and 150 indigo. This will push that color you are trying to achieve.

I am glad you all liked the article. It has some great info.

Khadija

LovelyLionessa

Thank you so much Henna Sooq and Softresses, you guys are lifesavers! I have my amla powder soaking right now. I'll be sure just to use 2 tbs. :yep:

What do you guys do with your leftover amla powder? My boxes come in 100 gram sizes, do you just freeze the leftovers? I think I'm gonna do my hair later tonight.

Isis

Divine Inspiration said:
Great thread!! I've learned a lot!
Thanks, I've learned a lot too!

Kinikakes, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm going to check out your henna album now.

Khadija.D.Carryl

Yes go ahead and freeze that amla paste after use, so you get all of your money's worth. Same goes for cassia and henna, but do not keep any indigo paste.
I like to keep it either in a squeeze bottle or a freezer ziplock bag.

LovelyLionessa

Henna Sooq said:
Yes go ahead and freeze that amla paste after use, so you get all of your money's worth. Same goes for cassia and henna, but do not keep any indigo paste.
I like to keep it either in a squeeze bottle or a freezer ziplock bag.

Thanks so much, Henna Sooq, your the best! Last night I used your wonderful indigo and I'm very happy with the results. It took away my crazy red ends and transformed them into a luscious deep burgundy brown while giving the rest of my hair an Indian princess tone. :grin: