For Relaxed Ladies BSL or Longer Using Henna

Isis

I've been reading the long but very interesting henna threads :fan: and overall, it sounds like many of you are really enjoying it. There seems to be more ladies using henna on this board than ever before. I've never used henna and it's sounds very hair healthy. Also, it seems like the most important thing is to use body art henna only, rather than boxed henna (I could be mistaken though).

Here are my questions for relaxed ladies BSL or longer using henna:

1. How long have you been using it?

2. How often do you use henna?

3. What is your favorite brand of henna or source for purchasing henna?

4. If your hair was dark brown before and you wanted it to stay dark brown, what did you do with your henna?

5. What is your most positive experience using henna on your hair?

TIA. :)

Isis

teenie said:
Bumping for responses because I want to try henna too
Thanks for the bump Teenie!
BTW, your hair is so beautiful and must be ultra-long right now!!

LovelyLionessa

A few months now.

I have used it as frequently as 2-3x a month. In the future I plan on using it once a month.

Dulhan Henna. I get it from my local Indian grocer for a $1.50 and it's BAQ too.

4. If your hair was dark brown before and you wanted it to stay dark brown, what did you do with your henna?

I mix mine with Amla oil, coffee, and molasses (which all help darken and diminish redness.) I also add yogurt to my mixes and plan on experimenting with amla powder in the future too. Today I just received my shipment of Indigo from www.hennasooq.com that will also help keep my hair dark.

While stretching my relaxers, it helps loosen the curl pattern of the new growth. Also the conditioning benefits are amazing as it give relaxed hair a nice boost of strength. I love the fact that I can safely play with the color of my hair using natural ingriedients. HTH ;)

ChasingBliss

Oh goodie. Thanks for starting this thread Isis, I just read somewhere else that having relaxed hair makes a difference in which type of henna you use. Thanks for starting this thread. Im looking foward to the responses.

Softresses

Hi Isis, Ladies,

I use henna and love it!

1. How long have you been using it? Since this summer.

2. How often do you use henna? Every two to three weeks and every time I texturize.

3. What is your favorite brand of henna or source for purchasing henna?Body Art Quality from Henna for Hair is what I use. Haven't tried but one other type.

4. If your hair was dark brown before and you wanted it to stay dark brown, what did you do with your henna? My hair was red/brown before and it became a more burgundy red.

5. What is your most positive experience using henna on your hair? Strength, shine, thickness of each strand increased.

I hope this helps.

Softresses

Isis

You're welcome HoneyLemonDrop! :)

Thank you Softresses and Priestess for sharing your henna experiences. You have been of great help to me and others. I really liked that you can safely play with the colors and make your hair healthier and stronger at the same time. :yep:

Any more BSL or longer relaxed ladies using henna?

aileendq

Isis said:
I've been reading the long but very interesting henna threads :fan: and overall, it sounds like many of you are really enjoying it. There seems to be more ladies using henna on this board than ever before. I've never used henna and it's sounds very hair healthy. Also, it seems like the most important thing is to use body art henna only, rather than boxed henna (I could be mistaken though).

A: Only once so far. I plan on co washing, and shampooing only 1x per month, at which time I'll henna, too.

A: See above.

A: So far I've only used LUSH Caca Brun.

A: LUSH Caca Brun IS dark brown henna, with indigo (black) added to med. brown henna.
A: Like I said, I've only used it 1x, but it worked like a CHARM. I will be adding some coconut cond. to my next batch, b/c I think I made it too thick last time. I'm going to make it thinner in consistency and put it in a squeeze bottle to cut down the mess. (last time I brushed it on).

Good luck! I hope you have as positive an experience as I did! The henna I used doe NOT have any metallic salts in it. The only thing it had that was iffy is perfume, but it was at the very end of the list.

HAPPY HENNAING!

Doll

Bumping for responses.

Thanks for starting this thread Isis, I'm interested is using henna also. Another question to add is what amount of henna are you BSL or longer ladies using? The 500 grams per usage suggested on the Henna for hair website is rather expensive!

LovelyLionessa

Isis said:
You're welcome HoneyLemonDrop! :)

Thank you Softresses and Priestess for sharing your henna experiences. You have been of great help to me and others. I really liked that you can safely play with the colors and make your hair healthier and stronger at the same time. :yep:

Any more BSL or longer relaxed ladies using henna?

Your welcome Isis! ;)

ITA with Softresses on the shine factor too. I forgot to mention the bling effect! :Flahsssss

LovelyLionessa

Doll said:
Bumping for responses.

Thanks for starting this thread Isis, I'm interested is using henna also. Another question to add is what amount of henna are you BSL or longer ladies using? The 500 grams per usage suggested on the Henna for hair website is rather expensive!

That is outrageous. The cynic in me says they inflate the recommended amounts to increase sales. :ohwell: The most I have ever used was 2 jars of Rainbow henna which totaled about 230 grams. But I have used as little as 100 grams. Since I found BAQ henna locally, I plan on using 200 grams mixed with some amla powder and indigo next time. I really don't anticipate using more than 300 grams at any given time. Plus there are ways to "stretch" the henna by adding oils, yogurt, etc. :yep:

Doll

Priestess said:
That is outrageous. The cynic in me says they inflate the recommended amounts to increase sales. :ohwell: The most I have ever used was 2 jars of Rainbow henna which totaled about 230 grams. But I have used as little as 100 grams. Since I found BAQ henna locally, I plan on using 200 grams mixed with some amla powder and indigo next time. I really don't anticipate using more than 300 grams at any given time. Plus there are ways to "stretch" the henna by adding oils, yogurt, etc. :yep:

Thanks so very much Priestess for your response! That inspires me to really go ahead and give it a try! :D

LovelyLionessa

Doll said:
Thanks so very much Priestess for your response! That inspires me to really go ahead and give it a try! :D

Your welcome, Doll. Have fun taking the henna plunge and be sure to use Body Art Quality. ;)

Isis

I love the info you are sharing Priestess and thank you Doll for asking your question about the amount of henna to use. :)

motherx2esq

Thanks for making this Henna thread. I want to know if the ladies that buy it from the Indian market. Do they carry natural Indigo Henna?

Doll

Isis said:
I love the info you are sharing Priestess and thank you Doll for asking your question about the amount of henna to use. :)

You are most welcome Isis, and thank you again for the begining! :)

LovelyLionessa

Isis said:

Your welcome, Isis. There is a whole wide world of info on henna and it can be overwhelming to say the least. It's my pleasure to provide the Cliff Notes on henna whenever I can. :lol:

LovelyLionessa

motherx2esq said:
Thanks for making this Henna thread. I want to know if the ladies that buy it from the Indian market. Do they carry natural Indigo Henna?

That's a very good question. I was unable to obtain the indigo from my market, mostly because it was a little difficult to articulate exactly what I needed with the merchants. Beware, because you might find boxes that say "Black Henna" as I did, but often that's the dangerous chemical infused "melt your relaxed hair off" your head variety. So I just decided to order the indigo on line.

Also on the subject of finding things that keep the hair dark, amla I notice does make the hair darker and help tone down the ruddiness of henna. Amla powder and oil in my experience has easier to locate locally more so than the indigo. So that could tide you over until you can find some indigo. HTH :)

motherx2esq

Priestess said:
That's a very good question. I was unable to obtain the indigo from my market, mostly because it was a little difficult to articulate exactly what I needed with the merchants. Beware, because you might find boxes that say "Black Henna" as I did, but often that's the dangerous chemical infused "melt your relaxed hair off" your head variety. So I just decided to order the indigo on line.

Also on the subject of finding things that keep the hair dark, amla I notice does make the hair darker and help tone down the ruddiness of henna. Amla powder and oil in my experience has easier to locate locally more so than the indigo. So that could tide you over until you can find some indigo. HTH :)

Thank you so much. I did read not to get the "Black Henna" did not know it melts your hair. I would have died! Thank you for suggesting thr amla powder and oil. I am going research it.

LovelyLionessa

motherx2esq said:
Thank you so much. I did read not to get the "Black Henna" did not know it melts your hair. I would have died! Thank you for suggesting thr amla powder and oil. I am going research it.

I should clarify that some boxes of indigo might say "Black Henna" as it is kinda slang for indigo. However somes boxes so named can be the dangerous stuff too. Sound confusing? It can be, however the skull and cross bones stuff has a list of ingriedients that contain chemicals, etc. Henna products, indigo etc. should only have 1 ingriedient. Here's a link from Henna for Hair that might make more sense than I do: :lol:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/indigo/

HTH :D

Isis

Priestess said:
I should clarify that some boxes of indigo might say "Black Henna" as it is kinda slang for indigo. However somes boxes so named can be the dangerous stuff too. Sound confusing? It can be, however the skull and cross bones stuff has a list of ingriedients that contain chemicals, etc. Henna products, indigo etc. should only have 1 ingriedient. Here's a link from Henna for Hair that might make more sense than I do: :lol:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/indigo/

HTH :D
I love the pictures on this site as well as the detailed info. So far, this looks like the best henna site for body art henna.

fancypants007

Isis said:

Hey Girl, are you thinking about doing henna treatments? To answer your questions:

1. I started again last December. I knew about henna, but was persuaded by the bad things people say about henna so I stopped. I started again about 6 months ago and have been doing it ever since.

2. I try to do it every other week or once a month. I definitely do a henna treatment after I do my relaxer touch-up.

3. Always, always, always, BAQ from hennaforhair.com or the vendor Mehndiskinart.com. I also understand that fromnaturewithlove.com has an excellent quality of henna. I've never used it but they have a good price for a large quantity as well. I'm thinking about purchasing a small amount and see how it compares with the other companies I've purchased from.

4. My hair is dark brown/off black, and henna just tints it with red. You see it only when you're in the sunlight. It has covered the few strands of gray hair copper/red, but the rest of my hair appears to be the same color. The color is subtle and in the sun or bright light you can see the highlights. It is verrrrrrry pretty. I remember this girl in college who had dark brown hair with these reddish/burgundy highlights and it shined like nobody's business. It was absolutely beautiful. That's when I first learned about henna.

5. Henna keeps your hair in good tip top condition. My hair appears to be so thick (I have fine strands, but I have alot of volume). My hair is strong and it is getting better everyday. I just love the whole experience. I'm pampering my hair with nourishment not only internally, but externally and henna helps me fight against these forces by reinforcing my hair with strength. I absolutely love henna and hennaforhair.com has alot of information about the benefits of henna. I love visiting her site.

I hope this has been helpful to you!

ChasingBliss

fancypants007 said:
Hey Girl, are you thinking about doing henna treatments? To answer your questions:

1. I started again last December. I knew about henna, but was persuaded by the bad things people say about henna so I stopped. I started again about 6 months ago and have been doing it ever since.

2. I try to do it every other week or once a month. I definitely do a henna treatment after I do my relaxer touch-up.

3. Always, always, always, BAQ from hennaforhair.com or the vendor Mehndiskinart.com. I also understand that fromnaturewithlove.com has an excellent quality of henna. I've never used it but they have a good price for a large quantity as well. I'm thinking about purchasing a small amount and see how it compares with the other companies I've purchased from.

4. My hair is dark brown/off black, and henna just tints it with red. You see it only when you're in the sunlight. It has covered the few strands of gray hair copper/red, but the rest of my hair appears to be the same color. The color is subtle and in the sun or bright light you can see the highlights. It is verrrrrrry pretty. I remember this girl in college who had dark brown hair with these reddish/burgundy highlights and it shined like nobody's business. It was absolutely beautiful. That's when I first learned about henna.

5. Henna keeps your hair in good tip top condition. My hair appears to be so thick (I have fine strands, but I have alot of volume). My hair is strong and it is getting better everyday. I just love the whole experience. I'm pampering my hair with nourishment not only internally, but externally and henna helps me fight against these forces by reinforcing my hair with strength. I absolutely love henna and hennaforhair.com has alot of information about the benefits of henna. I love visiting her site.

I hope this has been helpful to you!

It certainly was helpful to me. Thanks!

fancypants007

Priestess said:

You are so right. I first started off using Catherine's henna from hennaforhair and I was only using 100gr. I used this amount the first 3 months and I never understood why I always ran out. My hair is little pass brastrap stretched and 100gr was not enough. Well I just started using more, i first started with 250gr, but 300gr is the right amount for me. When you do you henna treatments you want to make sure that every part of your hair from top to ends are covered and slathered in henna.

Another question I thought of, is do you prefer to leave henna in your hair for several hours for the dye to release, or do you sit under a hair dryer with plastic cap over your henna for about 1 hour.

Khadija.D.Carryl

Hello ladies,

Great to see more ladies loving their henna and natural hair products.

As for 100 grams of henna powder it makes about 350 grams of paste and this is just with adding the regular amount of liquid. Now many of you also might be adding indigo or amla etc to your batch and that will also go a lot further for you.
The good thing though is that you can freeze any leftover henna paste for up to 6 months, and that goes for all the pastes except for indigo (as that won't keep). So you will get your money's worth.

There is a very informative article that another forum member put together and there is a lot of good information that we should all read:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51646

Khadija

Khadija.D.Carryl

I usually use moroccan or indian henna, so I just mix and let it sit for 30 min to an hour, then I apply and leave overnight (I really don't have much time to do henna, so it has to be in the evening when I get time to myself). I wash out in the morning and that's it.

LovelyLionessa

fancypants007 said:
You are so right. I first started off using Catherine's henna from hennaforhair and I was only using 100gr. I used this amount the first 3 months and I never understood why I always ran out. My hair is little pass brastrap stretched and 100gr was not enough. Well I just started using more, i first started with 250gr, but 300gr is the right amount for me. When you do you henna treatments you want to make sure that every part of your hair from top to ends are covered and slathered in henna.

Another question I thought of, is do you prefer to leave henna in your hair for several hours for the dye to release, or do you sit under a hair dryer with plastic cap over your henna for about 1 hour.

I have never used my henna with heat, because I don't want my hair to get too red, especially since my ends tends to go red anyway just because that's the oldest part of my hair. I put my henna on with a plastic cap and leave it on 1-2hrs and just chill. :cool: