OMG! My hair looks like straw....

mscounselor

I was about to part and wash my hair this morning when I looked at it really well in the mirror. Although it feels moisturized and the ng soft, it looks like straw. My hair is supposed to be layered and it looks like someone came through with a razor and did a bad cut.:confused:
What do you ladies suggest I do? I cant be a moisture can it?

TIA!!
BTW-Im 15 weeks post relaxer.

mscounselor

High Priestess said:
What kind of moisturizer(s) are you using?
How often do you condition your hair?

Condition- once a week. DC twice a month
Moisturizer- A mix of almond oil, rosemary and peppermint EO, and africa's best oils. Castor oil on hair line due to dryness/flaking.

TwistNMx

I'm no expert here, but I'm going to go off on a limb and say 'maybe' you should switch conditioners.
Also, I'd like to say that I get good moisture results with a heat cap treatment and jojoba oil.
I understand that sometimes the hair gets used to one conditioner used often that it cuts off proper response.
Some of the people here have mentioned conditioners including BB that has worked great for them.
I've learned that some of these things are okay, but that everyones hair reacts differently and that you have to find out what works for you.
HTH, as I do sympatize upon your situation.
Do a search here and see what other people use for over-dry hair.
Good luck

TwistNMx

Another thing, castor oil and almond oil are good. Rosemary is also good, but watch out for too much peppermint because it can be drying. Again HTH

moneychaser

mscounselor said:
Condition- once a week. DC twice a month
Moisturizer- A mix of almond oil, rosemary and peppermint EO, and africa's best oils. Castor oil on hair line due to dryness/flaking.[/COLOR]
I do not consider oils moisturizers. Well the only oil I consider moisturizing is jojoba oil.
I suggest a water-based moisturizer, like ubh moisturizer, dudleys hair rebuilder, any moisturizer that has WATER listed as its first ingredient.
From what I have read oils seal moisture in, likewise they can block moisture from reaching your strands.
EDT:

Now you are saying that your hair LOOKS dry but doesnt feel dry.. Hmm so in other words it looks DULL.. That may be due to build-up
What type of conditioners do you use and when was the last time you clarified???

Last edited:

TwistNMx

Dana03 said:
I suggest a water-based moisturizer, like ubh moisturizer, dudleys hair rebuilder, any moisturizer that has WATER listed as its first ingredient.
From what I have read oils seal moisture in, likewise they can block moisture from reaching your strands.
She's right. I just read about this the other day. the ubh I think is the water=based product I see them talking about here. Moisturizing products should be used on a daily basis. Also brushing is not advised. You have very nice hair and the mositurizing will keep it from breakage.

Arcadian

Do you have hard water? Some people rinse with distilled water which could help.

Maybe you can try an ACV rinse?

-A

mscounselor

High Priestess- switch conditioners.......too much peppermint because it can be drying Hmmm... I cant remember when I started using Porosity control &/or M.O.P. Guess I'll try that next wash. I also wasn't aware that peppermint could be drying...:eek:

Dana03-I suggest a water-based moisturizer, like ubh moisturizer, dudleys hair rebuilder, any moisturizer that has WATER listed as its first ingredient. That may be due to build-up
What type of conditioners do you use and when was the last time you clarified???

Are these cream based moisturizers? I found those weigh down my hair. I used to use Dudley's rebuilder, but it didn't do the job. I currently use Porosity Control rinse then add M.O.P.
I haven't clarified since starting my transition. I did use a clarifying conditioner as my pre-poo today though.

Arcadian-Do you have hard water
Im sure off it. Florida is the kidney stone capital of the nation for a reason.

mscounselor

Ladies....It still looks a little funny...I updated my album....see if you agree....FYI I changed my conditioner as well.
Im hoping my trim tomorrow will help...if not Im in trouble.

TwistNMx

mscounselor said:
High Priestess- switch conditioners.......too much peppermint because it can be drying Hmmm... I cant remember when I started using Porosity control &/or M.O.P. Guess I'll try that next wash. I also wasn't aware that peppermint could be drying...:eek:

You're right. Leave out the peppermint oil for now. It might make a difference since you are experiencing extreme dryness.

Arcadian

Yesterday I had something kind of similar and I'm wondering if its because I happen to be stretching for so long (and during the winter too). My hair just felt really not happy.

We don't have particularly hard water because we have a water filter for the whole house. I ended up using porosity control to make it behave.

I'm contemplating if I can make it till March ...:ohwell:

-A

Isis

mscounselor said:
Ladies....It still looks a little funny...I updated my album....see if you agree....FYI I changed my conditioner as well.
Im hoping my trim tomorrow will help...if not Im in trouble.
I commented on one of your new pics. I can't feel your hair to check the dryness but I think your hair looks very pretty.:)