Olive Oil Drying???

jassy100

I have had some problems with dry hair. I noticed that my hair was even drier when I used olive oil. Has anyone else had this problem?

BioGeekChic

My hair doesn't like olive oil either that's why I switched to jojoba and then to castor oil and coconut oil (their cheaper).

knottyaaverage

be sure to use a good moisturizing product before putting olive oil on ur hair. olive oil or any oil for that matter is supposed to be used a sealant, to seal and lock in the moisture from ur moisturizer. oil isn't a moisturizer, it's a lubricant and just smooths the hair cuticle and makes it shiny. that's what i learned being on the board. so just wait around for some more replies if what i wrote is incorrect. hope that helps :)

fluffylocks

I dont like it very much either---i think it makes my scalp itchy for some reason.---I noticed that along time ago but i dont know if it would be the same now that i know more and use products my hair really likes, I dont know, i just like coconut oil & other stuff. I remember i didnt like the smell, and just threw it away after a while because i had to use very small amounts not to have any of the negative effects i experienced of it and it was going to take forever to finish it

charmtreese

My hair does not like olive oil either, however I love WGHO for my NG and that contains olive oil. :look: My hair loves castor oil!!:lick:

Brownie518

I have had some problems with dry hair. I noticed that my hair was even drier when I used olive oil. Has anyone else had this problem?

I am getting the impression that you are using EVOO on your dry hair. I only use it mixed with my conditioners for deep conditioning or prepoos. For me, it makes a big difference, especially if I go under the dryer. I used it on dried hair only a few times and I did not like the results :nono:. For sealing, castor oil, camellia oil, or jojoba are excellent. You could use your EVOO as part of your DC's and try something else for sealing. :yep:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Yeah, I tried olive oil (actually it was extra virgin olive oil) on my hair before, it was some time last year. It made my hair dry and crispy-like.

ubavka123

I am getting the impression that you are using EVOO on your dry hair. I only use it mixed with my conditioners for deep conditioning or prepoos. For me, it makes a big difference, especially if I go under the dryer. I used it on dried hair only a few times and I did not like the results :nono:. For sealing, castor oil, camellia oil, or jojoba are excellent. You could use your EVOO as part of your DC's and try something else for sealing. :yep:

Co-signing on this. Olive Oil on dry hair for me is a no, but in my DC it is heavenly.

dlove

Yes EVOO was drying for me too. Then I started thinking about the previous few posts... My moisturizer was not the best. It's too expensive for me to try it again. BTW Giovanni Direct Leave In is an excellent moisturizer. I use Coconut oil to seal.

Cichelle

Olive oil makes my hair crispy and dry. I never was able to make it work. On that experience I thought I couldn't use ANY oils...and in fact, most of them don't work well for me. Coconut oil is about the only exception.

jassy100

I am so glad that I am not the only one. I have already seen a difference in my hair going from the olive oil as a sealant to coconut oil. Thanks everyone for the reply.

Imani

i tried to use straight olive oil from the bottle and it made my hair hard and stiff. However, there are products i use that have olive oil in them that i really like- WGO and Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive heavy cream which i am starting to love more and more as time goes on.

Energee

My hair doesn't like EVOO at all:nono:. I also don't like that it just seems oilier and messier than other oils I use (Coconut, Jojoba...etc). It just ends up sitting on my hair and running down my face and neck---I hate that feeling. My hair is dry after using it....dry and oily.

atemeus_itali

I am getting the impression that you are using EVOO on your dry hair. I only use it mixed with my conditioners for deep conditioning or prepoos.

I've gotten suggestions to use olive oil this way too. I've read that one person uses 1 part EVOO for 2 parts of conditioner. How do other people use it this way?