Mango and Lime hair oil = dry hair?

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I jumped on the bandwagon and purchased some of this hair oil. After my first few applications, I noticed my hair would be drier after using it. Looking at the ingredients I decided to give it another try because hey, it could've been something else making my hair dry. The next few times I used only the oil and the results were the same- crunchy hair Has anyone else experienced this? What's your theory if you have? Which oil could be doing this?

goldensensation

How are you using it? This oil has improved the quality of my hair by making it more supple and shiny. I use it when my hair is wet to seal in my leave-in and when my hair is dry to give it shine. How much are you using?

B

Bublnbrnsuga

goldensensation said:
How are you using it? This oil has improved the quality of my hair by making it more supple and shiny. I use it when my hair is wet to seal in my leave-in and when my hair is dry to give it shine. How much are you using?

About a quarter amount

goldensensation

Bublnbrnsuga said:
About a quarter amount

For your whole head, or per section? I use that much per section (when wet). Maybe your hair just doesnt like it. An adverse reaction to the castor oil, maybe?

JazzyDez

Bublnbrnsuga said:
I jumped on the bandwagon and purchased some of this hair oil. After my first few applications, I noticed my hair would be drier after using it. Looking at the ingredients I decided to give it another try because hey, it could've been something else making my hair dry. The next few times I used only the oil and the results were the same- crunchy hair Has anyone else experienced this? What's your theory if you have? Which oil could be doing this?

I have not experienced this. I used it after washing and DC. I applied NTM silk touch as my leave in and sealed it with the Mango & lime. My hair stayed so soft for the entire day. I havent tried it on dry hair though.

scorpian

Bublnbrnsuga said:

I ended up with dry hair after a few uses so instead of using it straight I tried mixing it with conditioners and still had dry hair in the end.IMO the lime in the mix builds up and causes dryness much like the no lye relaxer which is calcium and lime it locks out moisture in some hair types.Clarifying didn't help.I stopped using all of the mango and lime products because of this.

Update:it was not the lime in the mix that caused dry hair.This product is a humectant.Humectants are designed to extract and retain moisture from the air and put them into your hair.This works well in the warm months but for the cooler weather it does the opposite.It pulls the moisture from your hair to the air and that is why you get dryness.I learned this from reading another post on this site. People who live in warm climates all year long should not have a problem using these products in their regimen.Now that the weather is warmer i will be reincorporating these products into my regimen.But I won't use them in the winter.

Last edited:

Cichelle

With very few exceptions, I can't use oils on my hair. They make it crunchy and dry, either right away or shortly thereafter. I've tried many times and get the same results. Oils do not work on everyone's hair. If you've had success with other oils, then perhaps it's just that particular oil that you shouldn't use.