old school methods to grow hair long

jshor09

My mom swore by sulfur 8 to grow my sisters hair out. My grandma swore by leaving your hair alone and keepin your hair braided. I just remebering my hair and my sister's hair thriving and growing long. Do you remember anyways to grow out hair that your mom or grandma used to grow hair?

Jackie

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I can second the Sulfur 8 and just leaving your hair alone:up:
I used to buy the 'lite' sulfur 8 hair grease to help tone down the smell- I liked the way it made my scalp feel.
If only it did not have that dang mineral oil or petrolatum junk in it.

jewel

My mother would also used sulfur 8 she would also shampoo and condition my hair once a week braid it then tie it up every night. I never had any heat or chemicals applied to my hair. I do the same things to my girls except with the use of sulfur 8 and their hair has grown like weeds.

happylocks

my mother used alot of grease and put our hair in plates(sp). Which one am not sure I think it was the blue one. I myself use S8 but I do not think my mom did at all growing up

Mortons

Greasing the scalp and keeping it in a bun. (I use natural oils instead of grease now though). My mom swears by this

Qualitee

I remember one of my high school buddies told me that her mother use to pull her and her sisters hair so it can grow:perplexed:nono::spinning:

LongHairDreams

My mother (who is 72) used blue magic in my hair. She also made her own shampoo (she doesn't remember the recipe :(: She would wash and press my hair 1x month. (4 girls) Every week she would oil my scalp and re-braid my hair in 10 million ponytails. I had long hair (I guess 8" ponytails is long)

SunySydeofLyfe

My DD lost an entire patch of hair in the center of her head when she was three (a fungus) my grandmother bought a jar of blue magic grease and mixed it with Glovers Mane. I greased my daughter scalp with that mix and had it braided, her hair grew back in no time.

~~HoneyComb~~

I did my own hair growing up and it was trial and error. I never had hair longer than shoulder length, so when I had my girls, I'd wash it and braid it and leave it along for a month at a time. Their hair grew to lengths that I didn't think for imaginable (MBL and tailbone length). So now I'm on a journey to growing my hair as long as possible. It's never been as long as it is now, and I attribute it to little manipulation, and little heat.

KweenBeeDiva

My grandmother used Moreline in the cylinder shaped jar, My mother used B&B super grow to oil my scalp and hair, then place it in a gazillion little pony tails and barettes. She also used Apex pressing oil for hot combing.:perplexed