Methods to grow long hair

C

cieramichele

I saw a box of dried seaweed paper in the store today - the kind you use to wrap sushi. Is that what you guys are eating or something else?

I snack on that and use the other seaweed for soups.

LovelyLionessa

What's worked for me:

not combing dry hair
washing in braids
combing in sections in the shower w/conditioner
never applying direct heat to ends
using deep conditioning leave-ins (QB Amla & Olive, Salerm 21, Nexxus Headress)

The big thing for me has been retaining ends and managing tangles. On wash days the thing is to not lose tons of hair. Severe tangling causes breakage so I do all I can to avoid it.

blackbarbie

When I was relaxed:
-rollerset weekly
-DC weekly
-moisturize daily
-wrap nightly
-no direct heat (I never used flat irons or blow driers; my hair was fine with a rollerset) Although some people do well with heat, I think that was the biggest contribution to my retaining length. I really didn't even have a desire to flat iron since I got such great results with rollersetting weekly.

While transitioning:
-moisture, moisture, and more moisture, which I get from frequent co-washing
-careful detangling in the shower, first with fingers under running water, and then with a seamless comb after applying conditioner
-DC weekly

Adding to the above, I would have to say that nutrition plays a huge part of things as well.

Tamrin

unapologetic
Roller set
Protective styling
Moisture
Protein
Sulphur mix
MN mix
DC at least once a week
Exercise
At least 64 Oz of water a day
Co- washing
Low heat (NO HEAT IS BEST)
Care care care care.

CurlyMoo

I hear so many different things. I hear no manipulation, frequent DC, frequent washing, protective styling, all natural products, using certain products that dont have chemical "x" in it, no shampoo, etc. There are so many different ways what work for people. Seeing how fast people grow their hair to waistlength or beyond inspired this thread. What is your method?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Well, here's my opinion: The hair grows regardless unless you have a medical condition. The problem is keeping the hair that grows. When hair is dry it breaks off keeping you from acquiring long hair. Trimming your hair can hamper you from having long hair. Because trimming is cutting and the average person "trims" more than an inch per trim. If you are timming your hair an inch ever 2-3 months you are actually cutting all the the hair you grew in those months. My advice, stop cutting until you reach your goal length. If length is the main goal.

From what I have seen on this site and others, people have different regimens except for the fact that moisture is a key element. Many of the women, in my opinion are product junkies who like to play in their hair. I have to admit that I am in danger of becoming one of them. This site and haircare can be addictive when you see the people on here who inspire you and you want to obtain the same length. I can't get enough of my hair now. I don't co-wash but I am thinking about it. Co-washing is another method of infusing the hair with moisture and cleaning the scalp if you masssage your scalp as you rinse. You may get the same results with moisturizing your hair 2-3 times a day except you will get a product buildup. I think protective styling is great for harsh weather & when you are just plain to tired or lazy to actually give yourself a real style. I say different strokes for different folks. I do believe in all natural hair products just like I believe in eating all natural foods. Exercise, diet, vitamins (suppliments or in the food you eat) moisture and not cutting the hair helps to acquire length. And most of all have patience none of these women obtained waist length hair in one year unless it was already there to begin with. It happened over a matter of a few years and for some people longer, due to various reasons. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

going without relaxer as long as i can. wash once a week with organic products. no heat. if i do use heat it is on low and it is once a week. i only comb on wash days and keepin other people out of my hair. the best tip i can give is do what works for you and stick with it. also be patient.
-------------------

Did you reach waist length yet? I noticed that your goal for the end of 2007 was waist length.:yep:

DivaD04

okay who watched oprah when dr. oz was on say'n every morning he drinks a green drink well here are the ingredients:

all fresh

2 cups spinach
2 cups cucumber
1 head of celery
1/2 inch or teaspoon ginger root
1 bunch parsley
2 apples
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1/2 lemon

another was a shot of cod fish oil and a squeezed lemon...take it to the head like a shot of tequila!

After everything is combined in a blender, this recipe makes 28 to 30 ounces—about three to four servings. Oprah takes a sip and is pleasantly surprised. "It's a glass of fresh," she says.

*Don't forget your cubes of ice for that hot summer day!

I'm thinking all this good green has to be good for our hair, it's raw, and nutrious...:rolleyes:hm, I'm going to the grocery store today, i'm going to add this to my list! I'll let ya'll know how it tastes!:grin:

Attachments

• green drink.jpg
    green drink.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

kelkel

okay who watched oprah when dr. oz was on say'n every morning he drinks a green drink well here are the ingredients:

all fresh

2 cups spinach
2 cups cucumber
1 head of celery
1/2 inch or teaspoon ginger root
1 bunch parsley
2 apples
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1/2 lemon

another was a shot of cod fish oil and a squeezed lemon...take it to the head like a shot of tequila!

After everything is combined in a blender, this recipe makes 28 to 30 ounces—about three to four servings. Oprah takes a sip and is pleasantly surprised. "It's a glass of fresh," she says.

*Don't forget your cubes of ice for that hot summer day!

I'm thinking all this good green has to be good for our hair, it's raw, and nutrious...:rolleyes:hm, I'm going to the grocery store today, i'm going to add this to my list! I'll let ya'll know how it tastes!:grin:

Oh I do this.... I take 1 tsp of Barlean's Cod Liver oil.... its lemon flavored so you don't even have to add the lemon.

and I drink Green Plant from trader's joes... it has 420mg Chlorella and 620mg of Spirulina.... I wanna say its the chlorella in seaweed that gives it all of its good properties...but then again I can be wrong... does anyone know?

Oh yeah these are my growth aids.....:strong:...

DivaD04

Oh I do this.... I take 1 tsp of Barlean's Cod Liver oil.... its lemon flavored so you don't even have to add the lemon.

and I drink Green Plant from trader's joes... it has 420mg Chlorella and 620mg of Spirulina.... I wanna say its the chlorella in seaweed that gives it all of its good properties...but then again I can be wrong... does anyone know?

Oh yeah these are my growth aids.....:strong:...
:grin::grin::grin::grin: how does the green plant taste hm, thinkin' thinkin!

DivaD04

Aviah...that's crazy...in a :blush: way! my child is highly allergic to dairy and egg whites...if it touches her skin she breaks out in hives...my only alternative is soy, well she doesn't like rice and goats milk...so what else is there? sorry cieramichele i no ur gonna :spank: for the :hijacked:...

NewYorkgyrl

wow that's interesting. :look: i can't drink regular milk anymore though... not only does it make me bloated/gassy, i've noticed it messes with my menstrual cycles and makes my PMS symptoms worse.

what to do, what to do... :sad:

You ladies can drink rice milk. It is really good. They have chocolate and vanilla flavors too.

C

cieramichele

Aviah...that's crazy...in a :blush: way! my child is highly allergic to dairy and egg whites...if it touches her skin she breaks out in hives...my only alternative is soy, well she doesn't like rice and goats milk...so what else is there? sorry cieramichele i no ur gonna :spank: for the :hijacked:...

nah its okay. more knowledge, more power.

AtlantaJJ

Speaking of nutrition, I REALLY need to get back on the ball with drinking 64 oz a day. I will also include silk soy milk in my diet. Its too nutritious to ignore. I got to figure out how to eat this dried seaweed :ohwell:
Amen on the eating right tip....I am having a bad week in that regard.... Thanks for reminding me to drink my water and soy milk. Too bad dark chocolate doesn't help hair grow!!

AtlantaJJ

Thanks for the rice milk reminder too because I think it's high in silica!! I forgot about that :grin: Whole oatmeal is too. I used to blend it up in my smoothies, I need to do that again.

HoneyDew

Almond Milk is what I use. I only like the Almond Breeze brand.

I think I am allergic to Milk, also. Something about it makes my ezcema act out.

I do notice that my hair has been doing very well with increased protein intake. I drink a protein shake in the a.m. The only problem for me is that is is whey. I have been doing it for about 2 months now and I can tell that my hair has an extra little boost going on. But I do think I need to lay off the whey.

Do you guys know of any protein mixes that are high in fiber and NOT whey or soy? :look: Kashi has a high fiber one but it is soy. :look:

The shake it really helping my hair.

JustKiya

You don't really NEED to drink milk - of any kind. :lol: There is plenty of calcium & Vit. D in the dark green leafy veggies, and if you are getting at least 15 minutes of full sun a day, your Vit. D requirements should be covered.

If you just like drinking milk - raw milk tends to be better for people who are sensitive to it (but it's a bear to find), and the nut milks are pretty good too (but still not quite cow).

wheezy807

scarf method at night
limiting direct heat usage (every 2-3 months)
Deep conditioning with every shampoo
stretching relaxers (12+ weeks)
air drying
daily moisturizing
protective styling
leave in conditioner

Last edited:

MonPetite

I poo and co-wash daily

Detangle daily (now as a natural, texlaxed it was weekly) with wide toothed comb

Cap n' Go Method (which eliminates need for DCs when conditioner is used as a leave-in. See fotki journal for details)

Conditioner as a leave in

No oil (face hates, hair can live without)

NO HEAT (4+ years and going strong)

Monthly clarifying or whenever I switch products

Monthly protein (Neutral protein filler)

Will be adding weekly skine and PC treatments

I don't protective style now, I didn't APL-BSL, and had no problems with retention

NEVER SLEEP WITH HAIR OUT

Lo-mani in terms of styling: I just add accessories but don't twist, corn-row, flat iron, etc.

NO COLOR except temporary mousses or Aveda demi-perm (99% natural, though pricey, won't be doing again)