Methods to grow long hair

C

cieramichele

I hear so many different things. I hear no manipulation, frequent DC, frequent washing, protective styling, all natural products, using certain products that dont have chemical "x" in it, no shampoo, etc. There are so many different ways what work for people. Seeing how fast people grow their hair to waistlength or beyond inspired this thread. What is your method?

bbdgirl

Low-mani, high moisture, protect my ends.
what she said!!!
I find that there is really no magic. I just stopped all and I mean all of my bad habits and started doing what I know is the right things:
wrapping hair at night
limiting direct heat usage
Deep conditioning
frequent co-washing
air drying
constant moisturizing
protective styling

these actions have greatly enhanced the condition of my hair, thereby resulting in length retention

Caramela

Slowing down on trims (I was cutting my length away without knowing it)
low manipulation
hot oil treatments
high moisture
protecting my ends (I wore a bun for a straight 2 years)
low - no heat
c/o washes
vitamins
I have done it all. I think above everything just being patient and caring for your hair will produce great results.

Cichelle

I think it's important to find out what works for your hair and stick with it, regardless of what others say. I can think of times I changed up my regimen based on what I read or was told is the right way to take care of hair...and it ended up not being a good thing. So yeah, stick with what works, consistency. And don't fix what isn't broken. For instance, despite the fact that my hair was growing just fine when I was detangling daily, I tried "low manipulation" by not detangling my hair for days at a time and it really was bad news for my hair. Yet other women with long hair swear by it. So, it's a matter of what works for you.

For me, the following things work best:

Regular and frequent detangling with a seamless comb while my hair is "slippery" (conditioner or shampoo or water, etc). I also use a Denman brush to get any remaining shed hair out after I thoroughly detangle. Shed hair removal is one of the most important things for my hair, as it causes major tangling problems which can lead to damage when I try to comb them out if I wait too long. I don't comb or brush dry hair, though.

Keeping my scalp and hair clean and avoiding build up (which causes dry ends and worse tangling issues for me)

Keeping hair up/protected most of the time

No heat

No trimming/cutting

No relaxers (some people can relax their hair and keep it healthy and grow it long, but relaxers did not work for my hair...couldn't retain.)

Those are the major things. Basically I keep it as simple as possible and do as little as possible to my hair. I have a heavy hand that I have struggled to tame. I had to learn the hard way that too many or too much product = dry hair.

I think nutrition is important, but I am very bad at this lately. I'm striving to get back in the good nutrition zone.

I look forward to seeing responses in this thread.

C

cieramichele

Speaking of nutrition, I REALLY need to get back on the ball with drinking 64 oz a day. I will also include silk soy milk in my diet. Its too nutritious to ignore. I got to figure out how to eat this dried seaweed :ohwell:

filthyfresh

As I approach SL after 2 years of being on LHCF, I found somewhat things that work for me.

- Stretching relaxers.
- Not trimming my hair at the stylist. DIY.
- Coconut milk & yogurt as a pre poo.
- Moisturizing & sealing.
- Finding my staple products. (Still working on this)
- Low heat. I'm sorry I can't survive without heat, unless I'm natural.
- Co-washing. I need to get back to this.

favorc

going without relaxer as long as i can. wash once a week with organic products. no heat. if i do use heat it is on low and it is once a week. i only comb on wash days and keepin other people out of my hair. the best tip i can give is do what works for you and stick with it. also be patient.

ladylibra

I think it's important to find out what works for your hair and stick with it, regardless of what others say.

yes, i think that is the key. :yep:

from what i've seen, the simpler routines have the highest rate of success (i.e. protective styles/low-manipulation, low or no heat, etc.). it has proven very benefical for me... yes i'm still a PJ and love trying out new products :blush:, and yes a few times a year i'll flat iron my hair. but just co-washing daily, wearing wash and gos and detangling weekly makes my hair happy... i've retained a lot of length and so i will stick with it. :yep:

ladylibra

Speaking of nutrition, I REALLY need to get back on the ball with drinking 64 oz a day. I will also include silk soy milk in my diet. Its too nutritious to ignore. I got to figure out how to eat this dried seaweed :ohwell:

just wanted to say i LOOOOOOOOVE me some Silk! :grin: and IA w/DivaD04, i bet if you put it in a salad you won't even notice you're eating it.

what's the seaweed for anyway? maybe i'll get some... :look:

HairHustla

what she said!!!
I find that there is really no magic. I just stopped all and I mean all of my bad habits and started doing what I know is the right things:
wrapping hair at night
limiting direct heat usage
Deep conditioning
frequent co-washing
air drying
constant moisturizing
protective styling

these actions have greatly enhanced the condition of my hair, thereby resulting in length retention

I second that motion, that is what I am doing and I am truly amazed that I can go without a perm by following these methods. I am going into my 15th wk post relaxer and my hair could not be healthier! I do find that I need moisture moisture moisture!

Evazhair

First it's important to know there is no real secret to growing other than finding what it takes for you personally and sticking with it.

I grew my hair out in the natural state:
it took patience, gentleness and diligence with moisturizing
detangling in sections from ends up after detangling with fingers

-wetting and conditioning every 2-3 days deep conditoning at least once/wk
-moisture moisture and then some more moisture
-Twists were really trendy then and I wore a lot of those also twistouts and braidouts.

As a relaxed head:
nutrition- if you eat bad it will manifest in your hair (above too)

supplements for health that help with hair health flax,multivit, kelp,etc.

deep condition at least once a week with a real deep conditioner

no direct heat unless a couple times a year at salon for a trim

detangle in sections/use denman to remove shed hair pre washing

prepooing, chelating with diluted shampoo, dc, rollerset weekly

find the products that fit your needs and stick with these

seamless combs

no double processing for me-being satisfied with my natural color

treating my hair like silk

knowing my own protein moisture needs

keep ends moisturized and protected as much as possible.

keeping a consistent regimen but alternating products that give consistent results -pjism with a purpose only

once I knew what worked for me, picking products became a breeze. I think it is important to focus on your own hair and get to know it.

Fine 4s

I hear so many different things. I hear no manipulation, frequent DC, frequent washing, protective styling, all natural products, using certain products that dont have chemical "x" in it, no shampoo, etc. There are so many different ways what work for people. Seeing how fast people grow their hair to waistlength or beyond inspired this thread. What is your method?

Low-No manipulation, protective styling, no heat, no stylists, DC once a week (but lately i've been sliping), once a year trims.

C

cieramichele

just wanted to say i LOOOOOOOOVE me some Silk! :grin: and IA w/DivaD04, i bet if you put it in a salad you won't even notice you're eating it.

what's the seaweed for anyway? maybe i'll get some... :look:

Its a power food.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=29557&highlight=seaweed
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=14060&highlight=seaweed
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=41230&highlight=seaweed
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=105659&page=5

There ya go boot :)

tottzu

OT:
I like to add dried seaweed and fresh scallions to Miso soup. It's in a single serving package, just add boiling water. Great for a snack and it's very low in calories.

LadyKaypnyc

Low to no heat, DC frequently, trim every 6 months (with a little dusting in between), Shampoo once per month with a SLS Free shampoo or baking soda ACV rinse.

audacity.

1. MOISTURE (Get it how you can. For me it is through CW, DC and baggying)
  2. Protective style
  3. Minimal heat usage (Better yet, SAFE heat usage)
  4. Supplements (this isn't to be forgotten!)
  5. CONSISTENCY - last but certainly not least!!!!! (What ever combination of methods you choose to do, consistency is going to be key, along with patience and time :))
HTH and Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
C

cieramichele

OT:
I like to add dried seaweed and fresh scallions to Miso soup. It's in a single serving package, just add boiling water. Great for a snack and it's very low in calories.

I was going to make miso soup today :yep:

drasgrl

How could I forget about seaweed! I love seaweed and I swear it made my hair grow. When I lived in Asia I was eating their diet with tons of seaweed, veggies (especially cabbage) and seafood. My hair was the longest it had been (I lost it due to laziness). But I need to get back on that diet especially the seaweed.

For me what's working now is keeping it up in protective styles, drinking lots of water, daily scalp massages, keeping on top of moisture and more frequent washing with helps with keeping it moisturized.

C

cieramichele

How could I forget about seaweed! I love seaweed and I swear it made my hair grow. When I lived in Asia I was eating their diet with tons of seaweed, veggies (especially cabbage) and seafood. My hair was the longest it had been (I lost it due to laziness). But I need to get back on that diet especially the seaweed.

For me what's working now is keeping it up in protective styles, drinking lots of water, daily scalp massages, keeping on top of moisture and more frequent washing with helps with keeping it moisturized.

Yes mam. I picked this up because of you. I dont think I could ever put down something that gave me great results tho. I'd be too addicted.

memee1978

my mainthing is...i dont go to hair salons anymore...i do moisterizing co washes......and i keep my hair moisterized daily.:grin:

Jazala

I saw a box of dried seaweed paper in the store today - the kind you use to wrap sushi. Is that what you guys are eating or something else?