Methods to grow long hair

NewYorkgyrl

You don't really NEED to drink milk - of any kind. :lol: There is plenty of calcium & Vit. D in the dark green leafy veggies, and if you are getting at least 15 minutes of full sun a day, your Vit. D requirements should be covered.

If you just like drinking milk - raw milk tends to be better for people who are sensitive to it (but it's a bear to find), and the nut milks are pretty good too (but still not quite cow).

Yes I agree U don't need to drink it.

I stopped really drinking milk 3 years ago. I only use rice and/or soy milk when I am making a shake or on a VERY rare occasion of eating cereal. But in those three years I have increased my intake of leafy green vegetables :yep:

luckiestdestiny

Aviah...that's crazy...in a :blush: way! my child is highly allergic to dairy and egg whites...if it touches her skin she breaks out in hives...my only alternative is soy, well she doesn't like rice and goats milk...so what else is there? sorry cieramichele i no ur gonna :spank: for the :hijacked:...
Have you tried almond milk? Hopefully she's not allergic to nuts.

DivaD04

no i haven't, i'll have to look into that one :yep: thx

back 2 methods of growing hair...right now, i'm adding a dab of thermasilk co and avocado butter on my hair after every poo, especially after a cow which is turning out to be a +. my hair is loving it right now and my hubb is digg'n it as well.

memee1978

I think it's important to find out what works for your hair and stick with it, regardless of what others say. I can think of times I changed up my regimen based on what I read or was told is the right way to take care of hair...and it ended up not being a good thing. So yeah, stick with what works, consistency. And don't fix what isn't broken. For instance, despite the fact that my hair was growing just fine when I was detangling daily, I tried "low manipulation" by not detangling my hair for days at a time and it really was bad news for my hair. Yet other women with long hair swear by it. So, it's a matter of what works for you.

For me, the following things work best:

Regular and frequent detangling with a seamless comb while my hair is "slippery" (conditioner or shampoo or water, etc). I also use a Denman brush to get any remaining shed hair out after I thoroughly detangle. Shed hair removal is one of the most important things for my hair, as it causes major tangling problems which can lead to damage when I try to comb them out if I wait too long. I don't comb or brush dry hair, though.

Keeping my scalp and hair clean and avoiding build up (which causes dry ends and worse tangling issues for me)

Keeping hair up/protected most of the time

No heat

No trimming/cutting

No relaxers (some people can relax their hair and keep it healthy and grow it long, but relaxers did not work for my hair...couldn't retain.)

Those are the major things. Basically I keep it as simple as possible and do as little as possible to my hair. I have a heavy hand that I have struggled to tame. I had to learn the hard way that too many or too much product = dry hair.

I think nutrition is important, but I am very bad at this lately. I'm striving to get back in the good nutrition zone.

I look forward to seeing responses in this thread.
i agree 100 percent.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
What has worked for me so far:

low manipulation
washing 2x a week with CON
Washing hair in sections/plaits
DCing with every wash
using lots of oils especially coconut, castor and olive oils
Being very gentle with my hair
Protective styling
sleeping in a satin scarf/cap

It's good to see this thread. Some things I have slacked off on in the last few weeks. I've been too busy. Ready to get back on track for MBL:yep:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
The things that gave me the most growth are low manipulation, no direct heat, moisturizing daily. When I leave my hair alone it grows so much. The more simple you keep your regimen the longer your hair will grow.

Low mani for me means only detangling when needed which can be from once a day (only when my hair is straight) to once or twice a week, just depends. Shampooing no more than once a week (in summer I co-wash w/o detangling once or twice a week and detangle once a week). I just try to stay out of my hair if it dosen't need any attention at the moment. I have no strick rules to it.

Last edited:

MonPetite

Just for those it applies too, seaweed, kelp, spirulina, and nori are high in iodine. If you have acne:

IT WILL GO NUTS!

Just something to keep in mind if you struggle with your skin. I love seaweed, raised on it as a very young child but now, I'm trying to find my tolerance level....Clear skin...longer hair...clear skin...longer hair. SIGH.

kelkel

Just for those it applies too, seaweed, kelp, spirulina, and nori are high in iodine. If you have acne:

IT WILL GO NUTS!

Just something to keep in mind if you struggle with your skin. I love seaweed, raised on it as a very young child but now, I'm trying to find my tolerance level....Clear skin...longer hair...clear skin...longer hair. SIGH.

thanks for the info:).... I have problem skin so this is good to know....

-- on topic --
The biggest difference for me has been not combing my hair while dry... I am natural and until this board I didn't put that combing hair while dry together equals breakage.

Anna9764

Were all here of course for hair health and tips, but the dark chocolate definately benefits your heart girlfriend...enjoy

TrendySocialite

Here's what is working for me

MN mix
co-washing (I try to 1-2 weekly)
weekly washing (usually at salons
DC every wash (30 min - 1 hr)
moisturize daily
vitamins
water
scalp massages
protective styles
rollersetting
SLEEP

So far, I've been fortunate that everything I've tried has helped grow and retain length. I plan to be full SL by my next relaxer this month...which is great for me. My hair is thick, full of life and healthy, so I have no complaints

DivaD04

IT WILL GO NUTS!

REALLY!!!! Wow!!! Hmph, I guess I better stay away from it, I know I'm fighting acne right now. good looking.

gn1g

I am trying to stack my paper, but this thread makes me want to go out an purchase some more chlorella, cause it does all of that hair and nails plus it will totally cut out the sugar cravings.