ok- how bout a jherri curl?

Noir

Natural hair is NOT hard to manage.
Maybe not for you but for some of US it can be. If it was so easy you wouldn't have umpteen women going back to a relaxer months or years after transitioning. A lot of black women with 4 type hair, can't just wash and go their natural hair like you can textured hair. It IS a commitment that many people struggle with.

Thank you sunshinebeautiful and yea I agree with your post about the noodle head.

Last edited:

Nola Darling

I have 4Z hair and I must say that having natural hair isn't harder than relaxed hair. Hell, if I had relaxed hair I wouldn't know where to start! I think it's just in educating your self about how to style it.

On another note...I just KNEW the jherri curl would come back!!!!!!!
Maybe not for you but for some of US it can be. If it was so easy you wouldn't have umpteen women going back to a relaxer months or years after transitioning. A lot of black women with 4 type hair, can't just wash and go their natural hair like you can textured hair. It IS a commitment that many people struggle with.

Thank you sunshinebeautiful and yea I agree with your post about the noodle head.

Noir

I I think it's just in educating your self about how to style it.
Yes I totally agree with this ... although, I was talking specifically about the issue the OP addressed.

My point was that texturized CURLS would be easier to obtain and manage rather than manipulating her natural hair which doesn't have the desired 3 b/c curl pattern.

Basically what sunshinebeautiful said :look:

Last edited:

Saida

So who's gonna be the first one to try this out? I want to see pictures too when u have it done :yep:

nomoweavesfome

So who's gonna be the first one to try this out? I want to see pictures too when u have it done :yep:

I would try it just because my curiosity is getting the best of me on it and I just KNOW THAT i KNOW THAT I KNOW I could pull it off. Experience + knowledge= major success.
problem is - I have to wait months and months to do this because 95% of my hair is relaxed. I'm only 13 weeks post relaxed.

nomoweavesfome

I need to see what a curl without a drip looks like. I can see your point OP - bigger rods, DC's instead of drips - it might work. The fact that everyone's hair was the same size and drippy and limp (which might have been because of the drippies) was really what was so nasty about the curl, but - if you can work around them, why not?

My concern would be that the process actually damages the hair so badly (double processing is double processing, whether it 'goes together' or not) that you almost NEED that level of constant baggying/intense moisture in order to keep the hair on your head.

So. Worst Case - it looks horrid, you BC. Mid Case - it can't be maintained long term without the drip, you grow out, and BC. Best Case - you pull it off, and have perfect curls, long term.
I didn't know this was a double process. how so?

I though they just roll up yo head and pour some thio - dang - it's been so long - we talkin 1987 here. oops - I'm talkin my age!

JustKiya

I didn't know this was a double process. how so?

I though they just roll up yo head and pour some thio - dang - it's been so long - we talkin 1987 here. oops - I'm talkin my age!

To quote Wikipedia:

"A Jheri curl was a two-part application that consisted of a softener (often called a "rearranging cream") to loosen the hair and a solution to set the curls. The rearranging cream used pungent chemicals, causing the naturally tight curls to loosen and hang. The loose hair was then set on perm rods and a chemical solution was then added to the hair to permanently curl it."

It goes on to say that the Jheri curl, while stylish, was very damaging to the hair and that's part of the reason it fell out of style, along with the expense of the products used to attain the look and the heavy upkeep required.

Two different kinds of chemicals - softener & solution = DP, in my head....

I wonder what would happen if you just used the softener?

bellezanegra826

I say go for it! I would get a curl again, but I worry that with so many people getting relaxers it would be hard to find a stylist who knows how to PROPERLY give someone a curl.

sunshinebeautiful

I would try it just because my curiosity is getting the best of me on it and I just KNOW THAT i KNOW THAT I KNOW I could pull it off. Experience + knowledge= major success.
problem is - I have to wait months and months to do this because 95% of my hair is relaxed. I'm only 13 weeks post relaxed.

Booooooo!!!! I thought you were gonna be ready to go for it now. Now we'll all have to wait for a year to see your pics. :lachen:

nomoweavesfome

I say go for it! I would get a curl again, but I worry that with so many people getting relaxers it would be hard to find a stylist who knows how to PROPERLY give someone a curl.

This would be my issue to - - I would have to find some ole lady somewhere in the country named Ms Mabel who's been doin hair for the last 30 years to do mine. lol

nomoweavesfome

Two different kinds of chemicals - softener & solution = DP, in my head....

I wonder what would happen if you just used the softener?
good question
is the solution like neutralizer? If you are using neutralizing poo would it matter to use solution?? hmmm - may need to do some more jherri research.

vkb247

I didn't have any problem finding someone in ATL to do my Wave Nouveau. Stylist who can do them usually do other curls too.

I used to do my own without the rods (kinda like a texturizer) until I just couldn't make it curl properly so I started to go to a hairdresser when it got longer.

hopeful

This would be my issue to - - I would have to find some ole lady somewhere in the country named Ms Mabel who's been doin hair for the last 30 years to do mine. lol

:lol: @ the bolded. I know nothing about Jherri curls, but good luck with whatever you decide.

nomoweavesfome

I didn't have any problem finding someone in ATL to do my Wave Nouveau. Stylist who can do them usually do other curls too.

I used to do my own without the rods (kinda like a texturizer) until I just couldn't make it curl properly so I started to go to a hairdresser when it got longer.

iiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrkkkk! - stop!! wait a minute...... you did your own?????????????
give up the goods.. how on earth did you do this?????????

jtotheb

when i first started my hair journey, i looked into getting a curl (I had one as a child and my hair grew really well). I decided against it because it lacked the versatility i wanted (I read somewhere it's damaging to straighten curls). I ultimately BCed and now am very, very lightly texturized. A texturizer is just a light relaxer.

Kiya is right, it is a double process, one to loosen the natural curl and another to add curl back in using the rod (sort of like a curly perm).

But i agree that a JC could be cute (but it's a big commitment).

stephshe

I actually have a curl and I don't consider it a jherri curl but more of a dry curl because I don't use all of the juicy curl product that they use to back in the day. My stylist uses the largest rods which gives me a very nice loose curl. I had been wanting to get one for a while but I knew that I had to cut all my relaxed hair off and since I've had long hair all my life it was difficult for me to get up the nerve to do it. I stopped relaxing Dec '07 and got my curl in July '08.

I just recently had my first touch up a few weeks ago and I am loving it more now that it's a bit longer. I would never encourage or discourage anyone to get it though because you just have to do your own research on it because there are pros and cons and you have to find a great stylist who knows how to do them well. If you don't ,like with any double chemical process it could have your hair coming out in clumps. Most people I've read about that have this process don't really switch back and forth from straight to curly because it could be damaging but some have done it on for special occassions.

That is a pic of my curl in my avatar, hope this helps.

Last edited:

EleganceUnleashed

I just checked out your pics in your album Stephshe. Now THIS is how you do it!!!

Very pretty. You have Sucessfully freaked the Jherri Curl. :yep::notworthy

Last edited:

stephshe

Thanks eleganceunleashed! It has really been great for me. I use a lot of advice from this forum to care for my hair. I've just started using coconut and avocado oils and will be trying avocado butter next.

I'm a member of bhm too and there is a bit more info and other ladies with this process in the curls section for those who want to read more on it.

nomoweavesfome

I actually have a curl and I don't consider it a jherri curl but more of a dry curl because I don't use all of the juicy curl product that they use to back in the day. My stylist uses the largest rods which gives me a very nice loose curl. I had been wanting to get one for a while but I knew that I had to cut all my relaxed hair off and since I've had long hair all my life it was difficult for me to get up the nerve to do it. I stopped relaxing Dec '07 and got my curl in July '08.

I just recently had my first touch up a few weeks ago and I am loving it more now that it's a bit longer. I would never encourage or discourage anyone to get it though because you just have to do your own research on it because there are pros and cons and you have to find a great stylist who knows how to do them well. If you don't ,like with any double chemical process it could have your hair coming out in clumps. Most people I've read about that have this process don't really switch back and forth from straight to curly because it could be damaging but some have done it on for special occassions.

That is a pic of my curl in my avatar, hope this helps.

OMG - soo puurttty:lick:- Can you please build a fotki album or use the album on LHCF and do lots of pics. You are beautiful, your hair is beautiful, AND - looks like you have some versatility in your style options too!!! - I promise I'll be your #1 album stalker. lol- no seriously- such inspiration and a real live example of what I'm speaking of. yay!!:superbanana:

nomoweavesfome

o - i c a couple pics in your album!! -this is exactly what I want!! it's beautiful!! I want it- - sooo, how long do you wait in between touchups now?

stephshe

Hi nomoreweavesforme! I had 7 months of new growth when I got mine done, it was still short so I ended up wearing half wigs until my 1st retouch(I waited 3 months). It's still short but much better now. I'm probably a 3b and 4a naturally. The largest rods are orange, with the last retouch I they used purple(next to the largest) and orange.

Hope I answered all the questions. I'm about to leave work for the day but I'll check later to see if you have more questions.