ok- how bout a jherri curl?

nomoweavesfome

ok - I'm going through a major hair ADHD. I'm transitioning and yet at the same time I'm dreaming of just forgetting about it and grab the creamy crack and cut my bangs so I can have the dominican doobie swing from the early 90's.

but then .... I'm like well, I'm really diggin my wig and stuff, and I'm afraid that I may still go through this season of not liking my curl pattern if I even have one.... on me once I complete transitioning. The wig may give me a false sense of security in a sense.

I'm like well, I can always get a jherri curl if I want some 3b/c ish curls. With all the education and products we have today, I can just about re--invent it and rock the hell out of it. Of course I would prefer bigger rods and I would like mine placed spirally please.

so whadda ya think guys?? I promise I'm not smokin crack. lol

this is sort of a spinoff from:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=244511&highlight=jherri+curl

Last edited:

Noir

so whadda ya think guys?? I promise I'm not smokin crack. lol
:look: :spinning: :lachen:

Ooook so my honest opinion would be please do not do iiiiiit. :lachen:I just have images of my mother hair back in the 80's drippin' and that perm smell and besides it would look soooooo dated.

Have you considered a texturizer? You would have the convenience of natural-looking textured curls and it would be easier to manage than natural hair. You also get that swang with texturised hair when it is straightened.

I personally think that would be a better option.

nomoweavesfome

well.... I though about that..but problem is.. my hair does not like sodium hydroxide...soooo even the s-curl texturizer I was looking at is like a no- no. My hair cannot do any lye of any kind. It breaks no matter how much I do right.

No -lye my hair can handle, but nobody makes no-lye texturizers.

I do remember having a jherri, and it worked back in the day. The smell well hey - I might could get over that after a couple days, but I'm syin tho- the look - i would not carry like the 80's - I would still head band it and big earring it just like I'm doin now and stuff. I would re-invent it- I swear.

Noir

well.... I though about that..but problem is.. my hair does not like sodium hydroxide...soooo even the s-curl texturizer I was looking at is like a no- no. My hair cannot do any lye of any kind. It breaks no matter how much I do right.

No -lye my hair can handle, but nobody makes no-lye texturizers.

I do remember having a jherri, and it worked back in the day. The smell well hey - I might could get over that after a couple days, but I'm syin tho- the look - i would not carry like the 80's - I would still head band it and big earring it just like I'm doin now and stuff. I would re-invent it- I swear.
I used to use no-lye texturizers. In fact I see more no-lye than lye.

CoffeeBean

Stay away from the scarey curl...I mean jherri curl. Try something like flexi-rods with extra moisturizer or curl-formers revisited. No scarey curl :deadhorse:

Noir

I have tried all of these (below) and love them. My favorite out of the 3 would be Soft and Free's Botanicals texturizer. I used to sometimes mix olive oil and a protein condish in to the texturizer to get get really defined curls and to also prevent over-processing.

Botanicals texturizer - http://texasbeautysupplycom.stores.yahoo.net/soandbeboten.html

Pink lusters - http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...frgl_713223&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku383050#

Silk elements - http://www.sallybeauty.com/No-Lye No-Mix Texturizer System/SBS-373320,default,pd.html

CoffeeBean

Oh yeah I forgot. I think I got this from Pocahontas. Noodle Head. It will give you the results in my avatar. Curly like a jheri but no smell, no drip, etc... It is chemical free. You will love it. Try it before you make that plunge :drowning:

ebaby

No lye (pun intended), but this lady at my church today who still wears a curl sugested that I get one. She said it grew out her hair and the other lady who stills wears a curl has long pretty hair also. Their hair does not drip or smell. Seriously, I am thinking about it. Most people who had it done right, had hair that thrived with a curl.

nomoweavesfome

Oh yeah I forgot. I think I got this from Pocahontas. Noodle Head. It will give you the results in my avatar. Curly like a jheri but no smell, no drip, etc... It is chemical free. You will love it. Try it before you make that plunge :drowning:

Noodle Head??? Noodle head what????

nomoweavesfome

I have tried all of these (below) and love them. My favorite out of the 3 would be Soft and Free's Botanicals texturizer. I used to sometimes mix olive oil and a protein condish in to the texturizer to get get really defined curls and to also prevent over-processing.

Botanicals texturizer - http://texasbeautysupplycom.stores.yahoo.net/soandbeboten.html

Pink lusters - http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...frgl_713223&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku383050#

Silk elements - http://www.sallybeauty.com/No-Lye No-Mix Texturizer System/SBS-373320,default,pd.html

I didn't know there were no -lye texturizer os the narket? soo- you gotta mix em?

nomoweavesfome

No lye (pun intended), but this lady at my church today who still wears a curl sugested that I get one. She said it grew out her hair and the other lady who stills wears a curl has long pretty hair also. Their hair does not drip or smell. Seriously, I am thinking about it. Most people who had it done right, had hair that thrived with a curl.

I'm sayin - I'm down for the curl man!!!!! mine thrived back in the day too.

jerjer29

lol my dad has a jherri curl..thats why i'd NEVER get one

why not just get a tex lax? that's basically what a jherri curl is minus all the activator juice lol

but seriously though, why not just straighten your hair if you don't like it natural?

EleganceUnleashed

HA! You must have read my mind. Seriously. I've been playing with this in my head for some time now. I am also a fellow transitioner, I'd say about 7-8 months in and I've been thinking for months now....What if I can "freak" the Jherri Curl?

Bigger rods (of course), no activator or anything w/ glycerin so that it wouldn't have that sheeny look. And just use regular products. Would it turn out? I keep going back and forth with it, and TERRIFIED to try it.

We may be on to something....who knows?

diligence

OP, I see where you're coming from...my mother has had a curl since the 1980's, and it is absolutely beautiful. It is never "wet", and there's not a single person who would ever think it is a curl without being told. Everyone assumes it's her natural hair texture. I have thought many times about what effect her same type of curl (jherri, california, luster, WHATEVER it is) would have on my hair. Her hair is more coarse than mine so I'm afraid of how mine would turn out, but honestly, I think if it were kept properly moisturized (without the drip, of course), it might actually look nice...I think?

nomoweavesfome

HA! You must have read my mind. Seriously. I've been playing with this in my head for some time now. I am also a fellow transitioner, I'd say about 7-8 months in and I've been thinking for months now....What if I can "freak" the Jherri Curl?

Bigger rods (of course), no activator or anything w/ glycerin so that it wouldn't have that sheeny look. And just use regular products. Would it turn out? I keep going back and forth with it, and TERRIFIED to try it.

We may be on to something....who knows?

For real though!!! I'm sayin - i'm glad ya feel me - not for nothin, I'm scared to try it too, but not as scared as the texturizer though.

nomoweavesfome

I wouldn't be drippin and stuff. - nah - c'mon I would absolutely modernize the whole thing. No plastic shower caps and stuff. lol - we know too much info to backdate the thang.

nomoweavesfome

Nope. They are already mixed.

You can buy beyond the zone noodle head at sally's.

NOIR - I'M TRYING TO RESEARCH THIS - AND CAN'T FIND ANY INFO.- wHEN I GOOGLE IT ON SALLY'S WEBSITE - IT SAYS SORRY. IS IT AN ACTUAL TEXTURIZER OR SOME KIND OF BALM/GEL? IS IT LYE? OR NO LYE?

firecracker

All baaaaabee don't go gettin no Jheri Curl. Allz you need is some moisture here ya go
:lachen: No fo real piss on that idea and go forth young lady!

nomoweavesfome

Saida

Interesting, what is a jerri curl exactly? I goggle and saw how it looks, but I never saw it in real life :look: whats the process for having it done, and what is the dripping everyone is talking about?? :ohwell:

Don't mean to hijack lol, but I can see what your saying with using the knowledge you have now to give it a modern look. How would you do that then?

ETA: I found this

To quote Wikipedia:

"A Jheri curl was a two-part application that consisted of a softener (often called a "rearranging cream") to loosen the hair and a solution to set the curls. The rearranging cream used pungent chemicals, causing the naturally tight curls to loosen and hang. The loose hair was then set on perm rods and a chemical solution was then added to the hair to permanently curl it."

It goes on to say that the Jheri curl, while stylish, was very damaging to the hair and that's part of the reason it fell out of style, along with the expense of the products used to attain the look and the heavy upkeep required.

Last edited:

EleganceUnleashed

Thanks for the info Saida!

But you know what, as damaging as it sounds the curl grew my WHOLE FAMILY some hair. That was the fastest my hair EVER grew! No damage. I think it fell out of style just because it was done to death. At the time it seemed like 75-85% of the black community had one and this lasted for yeeeeears. I thought the old folks would NEVA let it go.

I never did wear mine with a drip. I always moisturized it well into my head and then dry off the excess.

But I think what she wants is like a 3a/b curl (because of the bigger rods) to be able to hold in her hair the same way the smaller curl was held in our hair with the Jherri curl.

The question is....would the curl hold? Or would it become a mushy mess?

JustKiya

I need to see what a curl without a drip looks like. I can see your point OP - bigger rods, DC's instead of drips - it might work. The fact that everyone's hair was the same size and drippy and limp (which might have been because of the drippies) was really what was so nasty about the curl, but - if you can work around them, why not?

My concern would be that the process actually damages the hair so badly (double processing is double processing, whether it 'goes together' or not) that you almost NEED that level of constant baggying/intense moisture in order to keep the hair on your head.

So. Worst Case - it looks horrid, you BC. Mid Case - it can't be maintained long term without the drip, you grow out, and BC. Best Case - you pull it off, and have perfect curls, long term.

Digital Tempest

I need to see what a curl without a drip looks like.

Same here. Every time I think Jheri Curl, I start seeing that Jheri Curl commercial from "Coming to America" in my head. "Just let your soooooooul glow!" :lachen:

It could work, though, after reading through some of these thoughts about how you could make it work, why not?

MeccaMedinah

Have you considered a texturizer? You would have the convenience of natural-looking textured curls and it would be easier to manage than natural hair. You also get that swang with texturised hair when it is straightened.

I personally think that would be a better option.

Natural hair is NOT hard to manage.

sunshinebeautiful

To answer your question, Noodlehead is like a styling product that can be used to encourage curl in the hair. I tried it and ended up throwing it away. :perplexed Scrunching regular gel in my hair got better results, IMO.

CarefreeinChicago

if you figure out something let me know cause when i had my care free curl my hair was past bra strap never had hair that long again for me my natural hair has to stay moist so it wont break