Oil Rinse Question

newsgrl

Hello Ladies! For those of you who oil riunse with coconut oil, how do you apply it? Do you just scoop it out in its solid form, rub it in your hands and smooth it over your hair and scalp...or do you allow it to melt into a liquid form and then apply it? I was just curious...I used jojoba oil the last time I tried it, and it was OK, but I want to try coconut oil too. Thanks!

pistachio

HEY!!:)

I'm an avid CO user and I like to use it in the liquid or at the most semi solid form. I use enough to where the hair feels like it has one coat on it, not overwhelmingly applied.

sareca

I usually mix my coconut oil with other oils, but if I did use just plain coconut I'd just scoop it out and put it on my hair as well. :yep:

Aggie

Ok, what is oil rinsing. Is it something like cowashing? I never heard of this one.:perplexed

Can someone answer this question please?

What is the purpose of oil rinsing, what does it do for the hair and/or scalp?

Do you apply it to the hair or scalp or both?

Is it hot oil, is it cold?

What is the whole process and when is it applied to the hair?

Is it after or before shampooing?

Is it after or before conditioning?

What oils can and can't be used for oil rinsing and which ones give the best oil rinsing results?

nakialovesshoes

Can someone answer this question please?

What is the purpose of oil rinsing, what does it do for the hair and/or scalp? I would think that by rinsing with cold water, you're somewhat sealing the moisture in with the oils. What it has done for my hair - being a natural I was gettin these microscopic knots on my ends; since I've been oil rinsing I only get a few here & there but nothing like before.

Do you apply it to the hair or scalp or both? I apply it mainly to my hair.

Is it hot oil, is it cold? It is room temperature. Goes from solid to liquid when rubbed in your hands.

What is the whole process and when is it applied to the hair? For me oil rinsing means, that the last thing I do to my hair is apply coconut oil all over & then rinse with cold water. Today I applied too much & the coconut oil was dripping from hair like jheri curl juice.:ohwell:

Is it after or before shampooing? After

Is it after or before conditioning? After

What oils can and can't be used for oil rinsing and which ones give the best oil rinsing results?I haven't used anything else. I'll let some of the LHCF veterans answer this one.

I am in love with the whole oil rinsing thing. My hair never looks or feels dry anymore & it has a wonderful sheen to it. I also use coconut oil on my ends on my non-wash days.

Last edited:

Aggie

I am in love with the whole oil rinsing thing. My hair never looks or feels dry anymore & it has a wonderful sheen to it. I also use coconut oil on my ends on my non-wash days.

WOW, Thanks Nakia, You answered all my questions. Thank you.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I oil rinse before pooing and conditioning. Just scoop some in my hands, rub my hands together to warm it up and make it oily then rub through the hair. I get it coated really good. I'll let it percolate for a few minutes, then rinse out. I will then either poo if i'll be straightening my hair, or i will just go in to conditioning if i'll be doing a twistout, wash n go, ponytail, etc. The oil rinse really helps get the tangles out

Aggie

I oil rinse before pooing and conditioning. Just scoop some in my hands, rub my hands together to warm it up and make it oily then rub through the hair. I get it coated really good. I'll let it percolate for a few minutes, then rinse out. I will then either poo if i'll be straightening my hair, or i will just go in to conditioning if i'll be doing a twistout, wash n go, ponytail, etc. The oil rinse really helps get the tangles out

This sounds like something I'll do during a relaxer stretch, thank you for this tip.