Questions for Coconut Oil Users...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've been wanting to try coconut oil but never know which one to try or where to get it...Here are my list of questions:

What brand of coconut oil do you use?

Is it liquidy or solid? If a solid, do you melt it?

Where did you purchase your coconut oil?

What are the benefits of using coconut oil on your hair?

Do you use it on wet, damp, or dry hair?

Thanks in advance!!!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas

Spectrum, unrefined

Solid. I don't melt it. It melts very easily as soon as you put it in your hands.

Ukrops

I really love it because it makes my hair sparkle shine and it's very light...the lightest oil I've ever used so it dosen't weigh your hair down at all. Great stuff.

I use it on wet or dry hair.

LocksOfLuV

I use the brand for the Health Food Store-Spectrum Naturals Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil. It was 9.99 for a jar, which will last me a long time.

Mines is solid in reg temperature. If it gets warm it melts. To use it, I clump some of it in my palm and it melts immediately. But I rub it together to get it warmer.

The Health Foods Store-quite frankly that is the only place I recommend if you want the real deal (unrefined) or online.

It makes my hair soooo soft!! The smell is delish also. It also smooths my strands and give a pretty little shine. I read somewhere that it helps keep the protein in the strands intact. Every since I have been using this I get virtually no breakage. I love it (and also Vatika Oil, which is coconut oil infused with Indian herbs)

Do you use it on wet, damp, or dry hair
I use it on dry hair. But my vatika oil I use on dry and while pre-pooing. I haven't tried my coconut oil to pre-poo but I will. I can't use coconut oil on wet hair because it dries hard on cold temp and the hardness makes my hair hard to detangle.

gymfreak336

Poohbear said:
I've been wanting to try coconut oil but never know which one to try or where to get it...Here are my list of questions:

I use spectrum naturals
It is a soft solid, it will melt with your body heat
I got at my lcal earthfare for about 8-10 bucks
It gives me nice moisture and sheen without building up too much, I like to use it for prepoos too and at night on my endsDo you use it on wet, damp, or dry hair?
I use it on all the time, wet, damp, or dry. Thanks in advance!!!

hope this helps

shiningstar84

Poohbear said:

I used to use Spectrum

Solid when it's cold in the room.(air conditioner) Liquid when it's hot in the room (heater)

Whole foods

I stopped using it because I didnt notice any benefit...that and I dropped the bottle and glass went everywhere...

All types

Thanks in advance!!! /quote]

Poohbear

Wow! That's interesting how everyone that has posted so far uses Spectrum coconut oil! I've seen it before in the Whole Foods Market. Thanks ladies for your posts. Now I know which one to try! :)

Miss*Tress

I get a really inexpensive one from the Indian grocer - about $6.00 for a great big jar; it's solid but melts much easier than shea butter for example.

My hair is part natural, part relaxed and the oil is great on the natural hair, not so much on the relaxed ends.

tenderheaded

I use Ramela brand coconut oil, purchased on ebay. It's solid and refined - can be used for cooking and hair:) It melts very easily in your hands, gives a great shine and penetrates the hair. It comes in a 12 oz size for $2.99 and lasts a long time. I use it every other day on the hair and scalp.

I lurk on LHC and discovered that a huge number of ladies there use coconut oil, and some have butt length hair:eek:

ScandalousBeauty

Just bought some from oilsbynature.com, $5 for 1 pound. It's a solid and melts right in your hands, just like everyone else said. I am transitioning, but I have cornrows right now, so I haven't noticed a difference as of yet.

ctcks

I found this Now Coconut Oil in the 7 oz size which is great. I use it like I would a jar of grease. Flat iron, dry skin treatment, oiling the scalp, etc. Best of all it only took two days to get delivered and the price was like $4.00. http://[URL="http://img485.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg1994uc7.jpg"][IMG]http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/420/cimg1994uc7.th.jpghttp://[URL="http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg1993yt3.jpg"][IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6893/cimg1993yt3.th.jpg[/URL][/IMG][/URL][/IMG]
I got it from http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?c=Herbs&pid=NOW-07683

lunalight7

Nature's Vision, $13.99 for 16 oz. I got it at a health food store in Manhattan. I love to use it on wet hair because the shine is amazing and still very light. What I like the most is that after my hair dries, it seems as if my hair has actually absorbed some of the oil...it doesn't just lay on top and make it greasy. Mine is solid at room temp but warms up immediately in my hands. It helps to seal in moisture for my hair.

Poohbear

ctcks said:
I found this Now Coconut Oil in the 7 oz size which is great. I use it like I would a jar of grease. Flat iron, dry skin treatment, oiling the scalp, etc. Best of all it only took two days to get delivered and the price was like $4.00.

I got it from http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?c=Herbs&pid=NOW-07683
WOW! That's an awesome price for 100% pure coconut oil! Thanks for sharing!

pistachio

Jarrow Formulas

solid;yes

Whole Foods Market- the one in the black and green jar

Moisture, shine, and makes a great pressing oil provided that you don't over-do it.

Dry hair

Thanks in advance!!!
You're Welcome:)

:) :)

Cichelle

My first container was Spectrum, I think. It was good. Smelled good too. Yesterday, I bought the organic virgin coconut oil by the company NOW. I got it at the health food store. I saturate my hair with this oil before shampooing. My hair is funny about oils, but coconut is okay. However, I have to use it in a particular way and really get enough on my hair to saturate it. I do not use it daily. I have used it on damp and dry hair. I prefer damp.

Cayenne0622

Poohbear said:

What brand of coconut oil do you use? I'm at work so I don't know the brand. Its in a dark purple jar.

Is it liquidy or solid? If a solid, do you melt it? Its solid and it melts when I rub it in my hands.

Where did you purchase your coconut oil? Whole Foods, Houston, TX

What are the benefits of using coconut oil on your hair? My hair is shiny and the oil is light.

Do you use it on wet, damp, or dry hair? Mostly dry.

Thanks in advance!!!

:grin: GOOD LUCK!!

seymone

I actually use softee coconut oil grease and I love it... My hair is excessively dry and this makes it very soft.. I am in love.. But I also want to try Blue Magic Coconut Oil.

hottopic

Poohbear said:
WOW! That's an awesome price for 100% pure coconut oil! Thanks for sharing!

POOHBEAR.... :) I LOVE YOUR HAIR. I haven't been on longhaircare for awhile, but I am happy to see your progress. I love the natural look.
----------

I use nutiva organic extra virgin coconut oil, on wet and dry hair. I use it mostly on my newgrowths. It's solid but melts really quickly.

crlsweetie912

What brand of coconut oil do you use? vatika

Is it liquidy or solid? If a solid, do you melt it? semi solid. It melts in my hand

Where did you purchase your coconut oil? eastwestbazzar.com and ebay

What are the benefits of using coconut oil on your hair? Incredible shine for days!

Do you use it on wet, damp, or dry hair? All of the above!

shawniegee

New Cut for '09

NOW, Spectrum, or Vatika

It's usually solid when I buy it. I let it sit in warm water for while, to liquify it.

iherb.com or vitaminshoppe. I purchase my Dabur Vatika oil form the indian shop.

I've use with natural and relaxed hair, and it gives me major bling every time. I sometimes use it as a prepoo. But I always use it as my last leave-in while wet. I also use to treat myself to a warm scalp massage. It's improve the overall condition of my hair.

I use damp and dry.

jenteel

What brand of coconut oil do you use? 100% organic coconut oil cream - 16 oz for $10

Is it liquidy or solid? If a solid, do you melt it? semi solid, it melts quickly by rubbing in bw hands

Where did you purchase your coconut oil? fromnaturewithlove

What are the benefits of using coconut oil on your hair? i like the shine, smell& moisture

Do you use it on wet, damp, or dry hair? damp or dry

SilkyandSmooth

What brand of coconut oil do you use? I use a variety of Coconut Oils but right now I'm using Nature's way. It was on sale a couple months ago at Whole Foods.
Is it liquidy or solid? If a solid, do you melt it? It depends on the temperature. When the oil is in its solid state, it melts very easily by rubbing your hands together.
Where did you purchase your coconut oil? Whole Foods
What are the benefits of using coconut oil on your hair? It's the perfect oil for my hair. It gives my hair great shine without leaving it greasy. The smell is a plus too.
Do you use it on wet, damp, or dry hair? Wet.

natstar

Parachute-it's really cheap (like $2)

Solid-turns to liquid with body heat

Neighborhood Indian Grocery store

It's light and moisturizes

Mostly on damp ends

keluric

I use the Parachute brand from the indian grocery store. It's in a blue bottle. Soft solid, melts easily. The Vatika brand (I think) I use is liquid and perfumed.

jenteel

so the parachute is at all local indian stores???:lol:
i saw it in there 2day!
i hadn't been there in a while
and i forgot that they had some goodies in there:D

A

AmilLion

I have the solid by Cococare. Says 100% coconut oil, it was $2.25 for 4oz.

loved

After reading the boards, I was near an Asian grocer yesterday and purchased Nature's Miracle Virgin Coconut Oil -16.9 oz for $7.19 from the cooking oil section. It feels light and smells great. I plan to use this on my ends dailly. I will report the results.