OFFICIAL APL CHALLENGE UPDATES

MzOptimistic

How is it going ladies? It has been a month since we started this challenge. We have over 95 ladies so far and ladies are still joining...so we getting DEEP yall:lol:....as for me the Hide Hair TiL XMAS Challenge has allowed me to keep all the growth and those Nioxin pills....all I can say about those pills is WOW...I have been using them for 5 weeks and my newgrowth aint no joke...I know the members that have been on here longer are taking vitamins but for the new members, if you are not taking any vitamins...you need to get cha sum....jmo..If I miss anyone, feel free to add your name or PM me.

The Rules are in the Official APL thread

Ladies, it seems that everyone has their own individual goals of reaching apl, so we will not set a definite goal date until we reach our goals....but we can do our first update...around christmas...(some of us are on the hide hair until christmas challenge)....but after christmas we can update like every 3 months... Some of you might reach apl before christmas and if that should occur...and if you want...(being that you are NOT on the hide hair until christmas challenge)...you can post pictures....the key to attaining the length are baggied ends, protective styles/buns, vitamins (if applicable), lots of water, and a healthy diet.(although I'm not a healthy eater, I'm just throwing it out there)

Challengers:

tsmith
redRiot
dontspeakdefeat
Stunningmane
Blkbeautyhair
peacelove
Ms Kraft
victorious
kristie21
TSUprincess04
VWVixxen
Citygirl
gharp001
sassyhair
princesmich
leleepop
Miz Jackson
M J
ONAMSHN
ak46
ubavka123
sweetgal
Wishin4BSL
HighlyFavored1
sareca
bmoreflyygirl
ella
caribeandiva
longhairluva
gradygirl
Mom23
Sherylin123
ariesluv
caramelty
cluelessaka
nap2bfree
renae226
EMJazzy
ravenmerlita
plove
Imani
ms-tyler
LadyZ
mytialpn
nubianqt86
soul sista
mightyisis6874
missnurselady
DAX
CurliDiva
EbonyPerez
divinefavor
Recherchbeauty
Naijaqueen
natstar
Hair Peace
zora
rootdeep
vikkisecret
Saida
SkinnyMocah
msstarelite
SILKE74
breezy
ivanay
metalkitty
fallback
jaded_faerie
tld723
Ms Twana
mika vs sasha
ShimmieGirl
pinkopulence
OnPoint
CalJay
snoopy1me
dicapr
Lavender
CityGirl
Ebonygurl00
keldevine
aprilj
skoloco
GoGoChik
babygurl969
Asha97
Inhair
peacelove
determined to grow
curlyj
missnappylady
LAYDEE
Sarel
Buttaflye03
Nymphe
fiasca
e$h
karma1981
Ntrlmystik
Royal Glory
mch5683
Dannygirl
belle reveuse28
chenai
PinkPebbles
Miss. Que
bauderlady

Last edited:
I am very excited about this challenge. I cut 2 1/2 inches last month and my ends look thicker. I have those same 2 1/2 inches to go but Im happy my hair will be healthier whenever I reach my first initail goal.Im gonna give myself early 2007 for armpit but if I make it before I will let you guys know.hhg :)

I think I have some growth but my hair is uneven. Grrrrrrrrr. I only started changing up my regimen from 'nothing and lots of heat' to doing it the right way about 3 or 4 weeks ago. My hair is dramatically different and seems to be growing! Week 3 pics and a comparision album are in my fotki but here are some pics:

Week One (week 0 actually)
1lengthmeasurement.jpg

Yesterday:
wkthreebackshot.jpg
weekthree011.jpg

SkinnyMocah said:
I think I have some growth but my hair is uneven. Grrrrrrrrr. I only started changing up my regimen from 'nothing and lots of heat' to doing it the right way about 3 or 4 weeks ago. My hair is dramatically different and seems to be growing! Week 3 pics and a comparision album are in my fotki but here are some pics:

Week One (week 0 actually)
1lengthmeasurement.jpg

Yesterday:
wkthreebackshot.jpg
weekthree011.jpg

Girlllllll....I know you are not posting any updates pics...bad girl...bad girl :spank: :lachen: NO more pictures til XMAS...Okay?:lol:

*edited* I'm sorry...I did say you can post pictures IF you are not on the HIDE Hair til XMAS challenge...My mind was strictly on Hide Hair til Xmas and my thoughts immediately went to "You are not suppose to show update pictures til XMAS"...sorry....

Last edited:
So far so good. Finally found something to curb breakage so if I can retain length then I might be able to get the 3inches I need by Dec!!!
I'm big on my vitamins, so hoping for maximum growth!!

Is it too late to join!!! I have about 1.5 to 2 inches to apl and would love to have it by the end of the year but my wedding anniversary is on September 20 and I wanted to have my hair looking great for our night out. So I would not be officially on the christmas challenge till then. I will also take suggestions from you ladies;) on any styles that will look great and also allow me to be in on the Christmas challenge before then.

Naijaqueen said:
So far so good. Finally found something to curb breakage so if I can retain length then I might be able to get the 3inches I need by Dec!!!
I'm big on my vitamins, so hoping for maximum growth!!

What did you find to curb breakage? I am always looking for new moisturizer...I am currently 7 weeks post retouch and I have been experimenting with bf proline comb thru moisturizer...It's works...but I have to stay out of his stuff b4 he finds out and have a baby...

tsmith said:
What did you find to curb breakage? I am always looking for new moisturizer...I am currently 7 weeks post retouch and I have been experimenting with bf proline comb thru moisturizer...It's works...but I have to stay out of his stuff b4 he finds out and have a baby...

Essations Instant Hair Mender, tried it for 1st time yesterday, and it worked great. I found out about it here http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=95721&page=8&highlight=instant+hair+mender

Okay, I had DH relax my hair Wednesday night. I airdried and flatironed last night before I went out. I measured just at 18in. I'm hoping for 19 by November, and 20 in February which will put me at APL. I have a fotki now in my profile, and I'll be posting my post relaxer pic later tonight. APL here I come :D

Well I'm doing good on not using heat which is part of my regime. I'm about 11 or 12 weeks post relaxer. I was trying to hold off until December to get my next touch-up (pipe dream!) but I'm shedding a little too much for my taste and breaking some. I may need to try that Essations and see if that helps. I'm seeing some growth progress despite the shedding. I just need that to stop and I'll be good to go. I've fallen off the wagon with taking my multi-v everyday. I need to get back on that and also pick up either some Biotin or some Hair, Skin and Nail pills and start using that on the regular. My goal was to reach APL by Christmas. Keeping my fingers crossed that I make it.

Good luck on your journey ladies!

I just came in on this challenge but I'm doing good so far. I've been using QP Mango Butter and I have really seen a difference. I think that I'm getting addicted already. I woke up this morning showered, brushed my teeth and guess what else...applied some Mango Butter and Surge to my hair. I didn't even think about eating breakfast! I'm getting a little obsessed :lol: . Now that I got my ends under control I think that I can still reach my goal for early '07.

aprilj

I have a long way to go, but so far so good. I have been using the baggies and bunning which is helping a lot.

I just took out my braids for me " hide your hair until christmas challenge" So I could do another " hide" style, and washed my hair, it was so long, I think I can make it sooner than I thouht actually:cool: :grin:

Saida said:
I just took out my braids for me " hide your hair until christmas challenge" So I could do another " hide" style, and washed my hair, it was so long, I think I can make it sooner than I thouht actually:cool: :grin:
Yaay Saida! :)

I've been doing ok. Breakage hasn't been a problem, but the amount of shedding last month almost depressed me. I've been wearing regular protective styles or night time pin curls sets if I wanted to wear my hair out.

As soon as I start doing hennas, my hair should be stronger and look thicker. I'm six weeks post relaxer, and I have about [FONT=&quot]¾[/FONT]" of new growth. I know my hair will grow to apl by the end of the year, but I don't know if I will be able to keep it. I might have to trim some progress for evenness. I'll see. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I'm doing really well with keeping a solid regimen. I just need to keep up with those dc's! Not doing dc's is REALLY messing with my breakage. I'm doing one tonight though. PROMISE! I'm 4 weeks post and I have 1/2-3/4 of an inch of HARD NEW GROWTH! I need to get on them DCs NOW!!!:lol: I always have my hair up in a ball. I don't know if that might be bad for my ends though. I hope not! I don't even really like it down anymore because I'm not at my goal length.

I am doing OK. I currently have a sew-in weave. Had it sense August 4th and I have about 3/4 inch of new growth thanks to my biotin. I'm trying to keep my sew-in until mid October depending on how thick my new growth gets. I like my weaves to be flat to my head but mine is starting to look bulky but that is a good thing

I'm doing okay. I hope to be armpit by March 07. Just trying to keep my ends moist and hidden most of the time so I retain length. I'll also do small dustings with each touch up. I'm coming along. We can do this ladies!!! :lol:

Wishin4BSL said:
I'm doing really well with keeping a solid regimen. I just need to keep up with those dc's! Not doing dc's is REALLY messing with my breakage. I'm doing one tonight though. PROMISE! I'm 4 weeks post and I have 1/2-3/4 of an inch of HARD NEW GROWTH! I need to get on them DCs NOW!!!:lol: I always have my hair up in a ball. I don't know if that might be bad for my ends though. I hope not! I don't even really like it down anymore because I'm not at my goal length.

First of all let me start by saying that I am a brokecollegegraduatewhoiscurrentlyinschoolwithbillsbillsbillsandnodamnjob, with that being said. I currently have 8 weeks of newgrowth and this newgrowth aint no joke. I have regular leave ins that I use all the time but when my hair reachs 6 weeks of newgrowth I can't seem to keep it moisturized and soft. I mentioned this before but anywho. I tried my fiance(babydaddy) Pro-Line Comb-Thru Softener Moisturizerr For Instant Style Control on my hair and all I can say is my hair is soft and very very moisturized and it stays moisturized for a couple of days. I am on the hide hair til xmas challenge so I keep my hair in buns anyway but my hair is not greasy just soft and moisturized. Just thought I'd share to the ones that r on a budget or who is waiting on their orders to arrive. It only cost $3.29..I will continue to use this when my newgrowth comes in and start getting out of control.:)

I took a picture of my hair last night to see if I have made any progress and it's growing. I am using Profective healthy ends and it's working well. I am doing buns for the next six weeks because I'm using the Aphogee keratin reconsturctor treatment. I saw a big difference in my breakage after the first week. It has really decreased. So I'll keep taking my MSM, Surging, shampooing and DC treatments every week. HHG ladies!

Well I finally put a pic in my fotki showing my touchup results if anybody wants to have a look. I'm a little dissolusioned(sp) right now, and I'm hoping I can still make APL in February :ohwell: . There's no password needed.

Uhh, I'm not doing as well as I thought. My hair has definitely grown, but APL by the end of the year, I'm not sure about that no more. But it's still my goal.

I think if I'm diligent about working out, doing scalp massages and doing some topical treatments, I should be fine.

I also plan to weave, do the dominican thing and wear braids by the year's end. I can't keep one style for more than three weeks:ohwell: But neverthelsess, I think all three will be helpful to my hair.

breezy said:
Well I finally put a pic in my fotki showing my touchup results if anybody wants to have a look. I'm a little dissolusioned(sp) right now, and I'm hoping I can still make APL in February :ohwell: . There's no password needed.

You will make it to apl by February:) It's growing nicely. I wish I can post my pictures but I'm on the Hide Hair Til Xmas:ohwell:

zora said:
Uhh, I'm not doing as well as I thought. My hair has definitely grown, but APL by the end of the year, I'm not sure about that no more. But it's still my goal.

I think if I'm diligent about working out, doing scalp massages and doing some topical treatments, I should be fine.

I also plan to weave, do the dominican thing and wear braids by the year's end. I can't keep one style for more than three weeks:ohwell: But neverthelsess, I think all three will be helpful to my hair.

You WILL get there:) just stay consistent..

I think my hair has STOP growing for now.
But maybe it's just me.
Right now I don't know when i will be at APL.
I STILL have my micro braids in as some of you know.
This is month #5 I have 2 more months to go but as I said before the closer I get to Nov the more I DON"T want to take my braids out.
I think I'm going to leave them in for a year.

I'm also in the hide you hair until X-mas challenge.

I'm making some progress and I still hope to reach armpit by the end of the year. I had a lot of shedding this summer but thankfully it is starting to slow down. Right now, my biggest concern is dryness and since it seems that nothing I've been doing to or putting on my hair is helping, I'm going to try focusing on diet and drinking more water.

Armpit, here I come!

Hi Everyone! :wave:

I am still sporting my partial sewn in. My newgrowth is getting really thick and I don't know if this will last another month. I will try. I am doing MN on the scalp every night and I just started taking vits. Hopefully I can get some mad growth. I think I got almost an inch from the MN for the past 4 weeks and I am hoping the vits take my growth a little further.

Back