Not all hennas are created equal

thesweetone

from the hennaforhair.com site on testing your henna for metallic salts:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]How can you find out if the henna hair dye you've been using is full of toxic metallic salts? [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Harvest some of your hair. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Mix one ounce (30 ml) of 20-volume peroxide and 20 drops of 28% ammonia.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Put your harvested hair in the peroxide-ammonia mix (this is in synthetic hair dye).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]If there's lead in the henna you've used, your hair will change color immediately.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]If there's silver nitrate in the henna you've been using, there will be no change in hair color, because silver is coating the hair. However, silver nitrate leaves a greenish cast to your hair, so you can tell by that. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]If there's copper in the henna you've used, your hair will start to boil, the hair will be hot and smell horrible, and the hair will disintegrate.[/FONT]

Waiting for my henna to arrive. I've harvested hair to test it. I'm not too interested in the color. Just want the conditioning effects. If I have positive results after the strand test and application to my head of hair, I will put up a post about my vendor.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]

metalkitty

thesweetone said:
from the hennaforhair.com site on testing your henna for metallic salts:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]How can you find out if the henna hair dye you've been using is full of toxic metallic salts? [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Harvest some of your hair. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Mix one ounce (30 ml) of 20-volume peroxide and 20 drops of 28% ammonia.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Put your harvested hair in the peroxide-ammonia mix (this is in synthetic hair dye).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]If there's lead in the henna you've used, your hair will change color immediately.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]If there's silver nitrate in the henna you've been using, there will be no change in hair color, because silver is coating the hair. However, silver nitrate leaves a greenish cast to your hair, so you can tell by that. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]If there's copper in the henna you've used, your hair will start to boil, the hair will be hot and smell horrible, and the hair will disintegrate.[/FONT]

Waiting for my henna to arrive. I've harvested hair to test it. I'm not too interested in the color. Just want the conditioning effects. If I have positive results after the strand test and application to my head of hair, I will put up a post about my vendor.

Wow, awesome post! Someone should make this into a thread of it's own.