Not all hennas are created equal

cstarks

i am trying to color my hair wit henna, i also have brown color and some gray. i want to have black hair now. should i color wit black first and then henna or just use black henna. will the black henna cover the brown and gray. how long do i wait after using phyto 1. help--thanks:look:

sareca

cstarks said:
i am trying to color my hair wit henna, i also have brown color and some gray. i want to have black hair now. should i color wit black first and then henna or just use black henna. will the black henna cover the brown and gray. how long do i wait after using phyto 1. help--thanks:look:

Here's my basic indigo mix. I'd say wait at least, the 48 hours after relaxing that Phyto recommends.

PinkAngel

If I were to do a strand test w/ the "wrong" henna, what would happen to my strands exactly? Just want to make sure I understand the Henna Revolution. I want to start but I'm scurred:eek:

sareca

msshic said:
If I were to do a strand test w/ the "wrong" henna, what would happen to my strands exactly? Just want to make sure I understand the Henna Revolution. I want to start but I'm scurred:eek:

It would dissolve/melt and turn to mush. You wouldn't be able to pick it up and pull the strand. Try doing an elasticity test. If you can't because the hair fell part. Back away!

Kimberly

Thanks for the post. I thought I could just go to the health food store and pick up a box of henna off the shelves there (not real big on ordering things from the internet...I have to strike when I have cash!). Anyway, now I know to be extra careful and actually read the label.

goldensensation

Kimberly said:
Thanks for the post. I thought I could just go to the health food store and pick up a box of henna off the shelves there (not real big on ordering things from the internet...I have to strike when I have cash!). Anyway, now I know to be extra careful and actually read the label.

I know that most health food stores in my area do NOT have the body art quality of Henna that is safe for us to use. I even went to a BSS that tried to push some bootleg stuff on me saying that it was the real deal. :mad: I only order from Mehandi.

douglala

Great post Sareca. I think you pretty much covered it.

It's those darn metallic salt laced hennas that's giving henna its bad name. :mad:

Neroli

Sareca, thanks for the reminder. I saw that warning at http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35188, and was glad to see they didn't blame henna per se, but the fact that other stuff was mixed there causing problems. I think and it is worth keeping in mind that body art quality (BAQ) is the only way to go. I personally like to shop around (it's the frugal in me!) and so I do google/yahoo searches for henna sites, they don't have to be hair sites, just those websites that cater to henna artists and sell body art quality, sometimes at substantially cheaper than the hair sites.

I first ordered from www.mehandi.com and the henna is great, except that I can't afford those prices if I henna every week (well, I don't WANT to spend that kind of money if there are other options) so I shop around.

In addition to mehandi, I have ordered and used BAQ henna from the following sites:

www.fromnaturewithlove.com (EXCELLENT qauality for the price $6.25 for 1 pound (453 grams) just can't be beat and I keep telling everyone about this secret treasure!)

I have ordered and am (impatiently!) awaiting jamila henna from this site:

www.henname.com (will post review later this week after using)

I found BAQ henna at the below sites, although I haven't ordered or used -- these are for the most part body painting sites and their henna is BAQ and they make distinctions between the different kinds of henna because apparently henna from different regions/countries will give different color on the skin -- I've learned a lot from these body artists site and also, discovered that BAQ henna is readily available at competetive prices. My one caution as always, do a harvest test each time when trying a different henna. Happy Shopping:

http://www.mehndiskinart.com/henna_powder.html

http://www.hennacaravan.com/hennakits.html

http://hennaking.com/henna.htm

http://www.tattoo-me.com/hennapowder.htm

http://www.naturalexpressions.org/traditionalpowder.html

http://www.castleart.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/scstore/c-Henna_Powder.html?E+scstore

Last edited:

sareca

Kimberly said:

Some folks do get henna from their local Indian store. Someone said they found BAQ Jamila. :eek: If you know what to look for (ie., pure 100% henna, no metallic compounds, body art quality, only one ingredient) and do your strand test I think that's fine. The strand test is really the most accurate test for your hair. The only other problem I have with henna from the store is the boxes are usually covered in dust. Henna does have a shelf life. It doesn't go 'bad' but it does lose it's conditioning and coloring properties.

It's easier to just use the ones we've already tested. :yep:

sareca

Neroli said:
Sareca, thanks for the reminder. I saw that warning at http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35188, and was glad to see they didn't blame henna per se, but the fact that other stuff was mixed there causing problems. I think and it is worth keeping in mind that body art quality (BAQ) is the only way to go. I personally like to shop around (it's the frugal in me!) and so I do google/yahoo searches for henna sites, they don't have to be hair sites, just those websites that cater to henna artists and sell body art quality, sometimes at substantially cheaper than the hair sites.

I first ordered from www.mehandi.com and the henna is great, except that I can't afford those prices if I henna every week (well, I don't WANT to spend that kind of money if there are other options) so I shop around.

In addition to mehandi, I have ordered and used BAQ henna from the following sites:

www.fromnaturewithlove.com (EXCELLENT qauality for the price $6.25 for 1 pound (453 grams) just can't be beat and I keep telling everyone about this secret treasure!)

I have ordered and am (impatiently!) awaiting jamila henna from this site:

www.henname.com (will post review later this week after using)

I found BAQ henna at the below sites, although I haven't ordered or used -- these are for the most part body painting sites and their henna is BAQ and they make distinctions between the different kinds of henna because apparently henna from different regions/countries will give different color on the skin -- I've learned a lot from these body artists site and also, discovered that BAQ henna is readily available at competetive prices. My one caution as always, do a harvest test each time when trying a different henna. Happy Shopping:

http://www.mehndiskinart.com/henna_powder.html

http://www.hennacaravan.com/hennakits.html

http://hennaking.com/henna.htm

http://www.tattoo-me.com/hennapowder.htm

http://www.naturalexpressions.org/traditionalpowder.html

http://www.castleart.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/scstore/c-Henna_Powder.html?E+scstore

My only thing about using 'body art quality' w/o telling the vendoring or having the vendor note on the website that it can be used for hair is sometimes BAQ henna has a greenish cast. It looks great on skin not so great on hair.

Neroli

sareca said:
My only thing about using 'body art quality' w/o telling the vendoring or having the vendor note on the website that it can be used for hair is sometimes BAQ henna has a greenish cast. It looks great on skin not so great on hair.

My understanding of BAQ is that so long it IS BAQ it is the highest quality and if acceptable for skin, is most definitely acceptable for hair. Traditionally, henna used on hair was of a lesser quality but the stuff reserved for skin is the purest to prevent skin infections. Thus, henna harvested for skin will be the best for hair, whether it says so or not, because it is simply the purest.

I could be totally wrong, but that is what my research suggests. I tried FNWL with great trepidation but after reading the www.longhaircommunity.com henna thread and other sites regarding BAQ, I decided not to focus on a particular brand of henna, but to rather on whether it is BAQ (100% pure). I did find BAQ Jamila at www.henname.com and it specifies use for hair.

Just trying to indicate that there are other choices out there for those who are interested. And most definitely, do the harvest test when trying new henna . . .

I know Vixxen has tried a bunch of different hennas (not sure she's even used mehandi!) and lord knows that girl's hair is off the hook . . .

Last edited:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Sabina said:
dammm!!! Thanks for the thread ::thumbs up::

Anyone know if the henna in LUSH is proper b/c that was the same tyoe of henna i was gonna cop, the one that looks like a huge choco bar. Plus i was going to get in in black :eek:. Think i will defo stay away from this now esp, as my hair already is suffering from a previous colour job :(

I think LUSH is ok, I have used it myself (although it dried my hair), but here are the ingredients in the Black "Caca Noir":
Ingredients: Black Henna (Indigofera tinctoria), Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Red Henna (Lawsonia inermis), Irish Moss Powder (Chondrus crispus), Clove Bud Oil (Eugenia caryophyllus), Perfume

And in their red henna "Caca Rouge":
Ingredients: Red Henna (Lawsonia inermis), Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Fresh Lemon Juice (Citrus limonum), Powdered Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis), Clove Bud Oil (Eugenia caryophyllus), Perfume

LUSH is pretty well known for only using natural ingredients.

Mizani_Mrs

OK i'm on page 30 of the long 'do yall henna' page. whew!! just came up for a breather... I am glad that henna is so cheap, because the reddish color is very similiar to what I get when i use sebastian colourshines, which costs me $25 for like 4 applications....

Can anyone think of any ill effects of using BAQ henna on top of a cellophane rinse that i use? (maybe wait a month to use the henna) It isn't a semi dye it's just a conditioning rinse, but i wonder if it contains any metallic dyes and if so, would applying henna destroy my hair???

sareca

Neroli said:
My understanding of BAQ is that so long it IS BAQ it is the highest quality and if acceptable for skin, is most definitely acceptable for hair. Traditionally, henna used on hair was of a lesser quality but the stuff reserved for skin is the purest to prevent skin infections. Thus, henna harvested for skin will be the best for hair, whether it says so or not, because it is simply the purest.

That's what I thought until me and a friend placed a huge wholesale order and the vendor actually called us! :shocked: He said this one (can't remember which one) has a green cast when used on hair. He guessed we were amateurs wanting to use it on hair because we also ordered amla powder. He said the one we'd picked was great for helping dye penetrate and stay on the skin, but it show up with a green tint on hair. I'm sure he meant lighter color hair than mine, but stilll. That's how I got Jamila. He recommended we use that instead. I'm so happy he called.

When I started looking into Jamila I discovered there are actually two Jamila versions. One says for use on hair and the other says BAQ. The difference between them is sifting not purity. They sift the BAQ one w/ a finer mesh because the leaves and veins will clog the applicator tip used for applying it to the skin. They don't sift the other one as much because it is intended for hair. No difference in purity whatsoever. But get this... Some vendors add sugar to body art quality henna to make it stringy. Stringy henna makes a better straight lines when applying it to the skin. Some BAQ hennas are naturally string. There a lot of differences spelled out on body art forums. I also verified some of this with the chick that does my henna tattos (I get about 4 a year).
Neroli said:
I could be totally wrong, but that is what my research suggests. I tried FNWL with great trepidation but after reading the www.longhaircommunity.com henna thread and other sites regarding BAQ, I decided not to focus on a particular brand of henna, but to rather on whether it is BAQ (100% pure). I did find BAQ Jamila at www.henname.com and it specifies use for hair.
It specifies for use on hair because there are two version of Jamila. I have the BAQ one, that doesn't say it's intended for hair.

Neroli said:
Just trying to indicate that there are other choices out there for those who are interested. And most definitely, do the harvest test when trying new henna . . .
I know. :kiss: I just want everybody to call the vendor if it's not one we've already used. If we've used it with success, I'm not worried. I just don't want people bargain hunting with any random vendor. They are not all on the up and up and not all hennas (even BAQ) are created equal.
Neroli said:
I know Vixxen has tried a bunch of different hennas (not sure she's even used mehandi!) and lord knows that girl's hair is off the hook . . .

Who!? Vixxen, President of the Henna for Life Club? That Vixxen? Shoot, she's probably growing henna leaves in her backyard. I'll be there one day, right now I'm going by the book.

Last edited:

sareca

Mizani_Mrs said:
OK i'm on page 30 of the long 'do yall henna' page. whew!! just came up for a breather... I am glad that henna is so cheap, because the reddish color is very similiar to what I get when i use sebastian colourshines, which costs me $25 for like 4 applications....

Can anyone think of any ill effects of using BAQ henna on top of a cellophane rinse that i use? (maybe wait a month to use the henna) It isn't a semi dye it's just a conditioning rinse, but i wonder if it contains any metallic dyes and if so, would applying henna destroy my hair???

Make sure the henna you choose doesn't contain any metallic compounds. Synthetic demi/semi dyes don't have metallic compounds. The metal gets introduced through applying compound henna and having it react with the ammonia in synthetic hair dye. So as long as you don't use compound henna there shouldn't be any metal and no reactions. Strand test tho.

You don't need to wait. If you have metallic reside in your hair, it's there until it grows out. I doesn't fade away overtime. Do a strand test. You'll know immediately if there's going to be a reaction.

Neroli

sareca said:
That's what I thought until me and a friend placed a huge wholesale order and the vendor actually called us! :shocked: He said this one (can't remember which one) has a green cast when used on hair. He guessed we were amateurs wanting to use it on hair because we also ordered amla powder. He said the one we'd picked was great for helping dye penetrate and stay on the skin, but it show up with a green tint on hair. I'm sure he meant lighter color hair than mine, but stilll. That's how I got Jamila. He recommended we use that instead. I'm so happy he called.

When I started looking into Jamila I discovered there are actually two Jamila versions. One says for use on hair and the other says BAQ. The difference between them is sifting not purity. They sift the BAQ one w/ a finer mesh because the leaves and veins will clog the applicator tip used for applying it to the skin. They don't sift the other one as much because it is intended for hair. No difference in purity whatsoever. But get this... Some vendors add sugar to body art quality henna to make it stringy. Stringy henna makes a better straight lines when applying it to the skin. Some BAQ hennas are naturally string. There a lot of differences spelled out on body art forums. I also verified some of this with the chick that does my henna tattos (I get about 4 a year).

It specifies for use on hair because there are two version of Jamila. I have the BAQ one, that doesn't say it's intended for hair.

I know. :kiss: I just want everybody to call the vendor if it's not one we've already used. If we've used it with success, I'm not worried. I just don't want people bargain hunting with any random vendor. They are not all on the up and up and not all hennas (even BAQ) are created equal.

Who!? Vixxen, President of the Henna for Life Club? That Vixxen? Shoot, she's probably growing henna leaves in her backyard. I'll be there one day, right now I'm going by the book.

Sareca, I really think we're saying the same thing, that BAQ is the best for hair and it should have nothing else added in it. Period. I also think that high quality henna can be purchased cheaper than just at mehandi. I've tried two different hennas so far: Mehandi and FNWL and both were BAQ (FNWL says it can be used for both body art and hair - I called them 'cause I was so scared at the price different) but they are both absolutely the same quality with a staggering price difference:

mehandi = approximately $30 for 400 grams
FNWL = approximatley $6.25 for 453 grams

This got me looking around for options OTHER than mehandi 'cause there are obviously other excellent sources of quality henna at much cheaper. It's just the frugal in me. Plus I like a competitive market place . . .

I will post reviews of the jamila I ordered. When I called, they confirmed it is BAQ and can be used for both skin and hair. We shall see. . .

Mizani_Mrs

Neroli, Sareca, and Vixxen, yall are doing an OUTSTANDING JOB with keeping us informed. thank yall so much.... um, er, uhhhh...i totally forgot my question...:look:

oh here goes...do any of you 3 own any 'compound henna'? Would yall please be so kind to do a harvested strands test and describe to us what happens to your hair? I'm just curious. I wonder if the effects are 1minute dissenegration as they claim or if it just leads to weak hair that breaks over time, similiar to relaxer damage....

sareca

Mizani_Mrs said:
Neroli, Sareca, and Vixxen, yall are doing an OUTSTANDING JOB with keeping us informed. thank yall so much.... um, er, uhhhh...i totally forgot my question...:look:

oh here goes...do any of you 3 own any 'compound henna'? Would yall please be so kind to do a harvested strands test and describe to us what happens to your hair? I'm just curious. I wonder if the effects are 1minute dissenegration as they claim or if it just leads to weak hair that breaks over time, similiar to relaxer damage....

Oooo, I'm out. Every time I see compound henna I back away. In reality we're giving all compound hennas a bad rep too. Not all compound hennas have metallic compounds, but when they do they don't list it. That's why we just lump them all together. For example, Surya henna is a compound henna, but they clearly state on the box that they don't include metals. The metals are the problem not the henna or herbs.

Last edited:

Neroli

Mizani_Mrs said:

LOL! I don't think I've ever owned 'compound henna' because I'm so scared of the stuff from my research! I'm not willing to risk it. Whether its immediate or long term damage, it is still damage. Compound henna is the reason for the bad reputation that henna has in the hair care industry -- additional stuff (especially metallic salts) like Sareca said, is the real culprit, but I not gonna chance it personally -- if it ain't 100% pure Lawsonia Inermis - the scientific name for henna, I won't buy it. Even when it claims to be 100% pure henna from reputable vendors, I STILL do a harvest test with every new batch I receive, 'cause ya never know!

Reg

Neroli

krissyprissy said:
Yeap! I'm nervous now about trying it. I will stick to a plain ole rinse.

Girl, I understand 'cause I was too! But "harvest" test should alleviate your concerns and indicate exactly how YOUR hair will respond without taking the pulge. "Harvest" hair from your brush and comb and then test them in henna before doing your entire head . . .

Henna truly has taken my hair to a new level of softness, strength and color -- its the BEST thing I have done for hair since I gave up heat!

sareca

krissyprissy said:
Yeap! I'm nervous now about trying it. I will stick to a plain ole rinse.

I would too, they seem to be treatin' you just fine. :drool: over those ends.

angellazette

Mizani_Mrs said:

lol I think you may be on your own for this part of the research.

HoneyDew

I had to bump this because I ahve used 3 or 4 different Hennas and neutral henna now. I really don't think Surya Henna is all that. It is all pretty with packaging, but Rainbow Henna and plain Cassia powder were amazing. The Rainbow henna was harder to rinse out for some reason, but it make my hair feel so strong and healthy afterwards.

Neroli

I just posted this review on the "Jamila Henna" thread and am posting here make sure yall know the jamila is very very good:

Okay, my first "jamila experience" has been very very good indeed. It was waaaay easier to apply to my hair and rinsed right on out. I usually have to go thru about 8 or 9 sinkfuls of rinsing before the water runs clear. With jamila, sink water was clear after 3 sinkfuls.

My hair is now about 90% dry and I just checked the color in bright sunlight and it's all good. The color is pretty much the same as cheapo FNWL and the texture is same strong, resilient and soft, so no significant different in RESULTS - I have the same golden red where my greys were and a rich deep reddish brown on the rest of my hair -- but, the application and rinsing is worth the extra $$$ for jamila. I ordered 400 grams and only used 50 in this application, so I have enough for the next couple of months and will purchase again, budget allowing. But. I won't hesitate to use FNWL when the funds are low . . .

I used 50 grams jamilia and mixed with solution of 1/2 red wine vinegar and 1/2 distilled water. Let sit about 20 hours and applied to 'dirty' dry hair. Left on hair for 1 hour 45 minutes, rinsed and apply moisturizing condish and left on for 20 minutes.

RainbowCurls

Great post, sareca.

I don't henna, but I hear too much stuff about henna being incompatible with this and that, when it's really the metallic compounds that do it.

LovelyLionessa

HoneyDew said:
I had to bump this because I ahve used 3 or 4 different Hennas and neutral henna now. I really don't think Surya Henna is all that. It is all pretty with packaging, but Rainbow Henna and plain Cassia powder were amazing. The Rainbow henna was harder to rinse out for some reason, but it make my hair feel so strong and healthy afterwards.

That's exactly what my experience with Rainbow was, it was a pain to rinse out, I went through a couple of bottles of cheapie conditioner in the process. But it sure did make my hair feel strong and smooth. I'm glad the Cassia powder is good too. I have a jar of this I plan on using next week. :cool:

MissYocairis

alexstin said:
That is just how I felt. I wanted to but I was scared. Get the henna from hennaforhair.com for your first buy and I think it'll really put your mind at ease(of course still do a strand test).

How much did you purchase and use for your first application? If the hair is APL, what do you recommend? I AM SO NERVOUS! :(

alexstin

CantBeCopied said:
How much did you purchase and use for your first application? If the hair is APL, what do you recommend? I AM SO NERVOUS! :(

I purchase 200grams. This was enough for 4 applications because I would use 1/2 henna and 1/2 indigo.

Girl, go for it. As long as you do the harvest test and have no wierd results it's fine to put on your head.