Newbie question- trims/dusting

deltagyrl

I relax every 3 months and I'm due for a touch up this month. I've been reading different threads and I'm a little confused about trims. My hair is healthy. No split ends but I'm sure my hairdresser is going to want to give me a trim with my relaxer (she always does).
I'm starting to feel like maybe I can learn enough on the boards to dust/trim myself. That way I won't have to smack her if she cuts too much.
Here's my question: If my ends are not split but maybe a little uneven and because I wear my hair straight sometimes should I trim with my next relaxer or wait until I've reach my desired length before I cut?
Also, I'm seeing alot of different versions of what apl actually is. When judging if you're apl are you looking at the front or back of your hair?

Last edited:
That's really a personal preference. If you wear your hair down most of the time, I'd trim to even things up so it looks alot fuller. I wouldn't let anyone trim w/ each relaxer....she's probably cutting off what you've gained, you know...grow an 1/2 inch, cut an 1/2 inch, I never saw any length being retained this way. Keep those ends moisturized and you won't have to trim often, just dust once every 2-3 months if that.

I measured APL using the back b/c that's wear my hair is the longest. My front is cut layered framing my face. HTH

There's a Sticky for new members starting out, but no forum that I'm aware of.

thanks for responding! i've actually been in your journal already.....

what's the diff between a trim & dusting?

delta_gyrl said:
thanks for responding! i've actually been in your journal already.....

what's the diff between a trim & dusting?

a dusting is when about 1/8" of hair is trimmed off, usually any new split ends that have appeared.

a trim is when you cut off 1/2" - 1" of hair. this is usually done to remove damage or even the hair. Usually stylists trim at every relaxer to even out the hair.

I've started letting my mom dust my ends. I'm too scared to do it myself because I'm afraid I will jack my hair up with a pair of scissors. :lol:

I went out and bought a good pair of hair shears and she dusted for me a few weeks ago. I plan to let her dust for me ever 3-6 months as needed and I will "search & destroy" by clipping stray ends when I wash and see them weekly.

I don't plan to "Trim" for eveness until at least Spring when I hope to be between APL and BSL. I just personally don't want someone continuing to "even" out my hair when it will keep growing in this V shape. She can even when I get close to my first long hair goal. JMO

if there's no split ends then don't trim. if your hairstylist doesn't get that, cut her loose. you should wait until you get to your goal to even your hair out because most people's hair grows unevenly (mine included) and that may be the culprit.

I can already hear her mouth and while I understand what she's saying about how much better it'll look with a trim I just don't want my hair cut anymore right now.....
My ends are frizzy and for YEARS I thought that meant my ends were split. Thanks to a pic I found in someone's journal explaining what SE actually look like I realize that my ends are in great shape.
I'm proud of what I've done just by gleaning info from this site. I've gone from weekly shampoos and (gasp) blow outs to every 3 months for relaxers. I've seen lots of growth this year but I, of course, want to see even more.......

I'm almost nervous to go to the salon because she's going to act like I'm committing a crime by not letting her trim my ends, I just know it.
Thanks for the info ladies!

Last edited:
delta_gyrl,
Where did you find the pic saying that frizzy ends are not split ends?
I think I made a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG 1" mistake this weekend...:nono: :wallbash:

God bless

sweetpuff said:
delta_gyrl,
Where did you find the pic saying that frizzy ends are not split ends?
I think I made a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG 1" mistake this weekend...:nono: :wallbash:

God bless

Someone has a chart posted in their fotki. It may even be in the newbie thread. It shows you what different SE look like.

Back