Dusting lead to uneven hair?

YvonneL

When I was natural I would just trim off whatever didnt look right, i.e. patch of split ends or tangles. Now that im relaxed it looks really uneven to me, which it is. My question is would "search and destroying" or "dusting" make your hair even more uneven. Or should I just trim? Not sure of the terms but I hope this makes sense.

bermudabeauty

I think updo would be benefical because it causes less thinning, breakage, dusting or whatever you want to call it. I would keep your hair moisturized daily and don't be afraid to trim. I think alot of us are more concerned with length sometimes than healthy full looking hair. Check out my pics at www.publicfotki.com/bermudabeauty I always keep my hair in a sassy cut regardless if I wear it long or short. I think layers would look good on you judging by your profile pics. Just a suggestion.

Ericka

Well when I dust I just go through my hair by sections strand by strand and cut the split ends. I usually only cut my hair to get rid of thin ends, but I don't think dusting makes the hair uneven. Then again I guess it depends on how much you cut.

JustKiya

If you are truly dusting, it shouldn't cause uneven hair, because dusting is taking off less than 1/8 inch - just a tiny bit off the tips. So, unless you are dusting right after a perfectly blunt cut, no, it shouldn't lead to more uneven hair.

Even S&D's should really lead to uneven hair, since you are taking it a strand at a time. Your hair might be thinner, if you are doing a lot of cutting, but I wouldn't think it would be uneven.

Dusting in twists, yeah, that'll cause uneveness, because you are cutting 'chunks' of hair instead of individual strands.

:look: I think that a slightly uneven hairline looks more natural, besides.... but that's just me.

DivaD04

When I was natural I would just trim off whatever didnt look right, i.e. patch of split ends or tangles. Now that im relaxed it looks really uneven to me, which it is. My question is would "search and destroying" or "dusting" make your hair even more uneven. Or should I just trim? Not sure of the terms but I hope this makes sense.

when natural or any curled state of hair ur hair is in different lengths so when trimming/dusting/cutting u'll notice when you do straighten your hair the obvious unevenness. so if u want to achieve even straighten hair trim/dust/cut ur hair dry and straightened, or if u want even curls cut ur hair while it's drawn up. since ur relaxed i'd suggest a good trim after a good flat iron, jmo, overall u should do whatever makes u happy
hth

bermudabeauty

My sentiments exactly, Bermudabeauty.

OT: Bermudabeauty, We never had a formal hello. Hellerrrrr to you :wave:

I am fine thank you. I am new to longhaircareforum so I'm just trying to get used to all the functions on this website. How is the hair growing/ LOL

AngelDoll

when natural or any curled state of hair ur hair is in different lengths so when trimming/dusting/cutting u'll notice when you do straighten your hair the obvious unevenness. so if u want to achieve even straighten hair trim/dust/cut ur hair dry and straightened, or if u want even curls cut ur hair while it's drawn up. since ur relaxed i'd suggest a good trim after a good flat iron, jmo, overall u should do whatever makes u happy
hth

This is so true, because this is what happened to my hair :wallbash:.

ShiShiPooPoo

I like even hair so I'm not really into dusting or S&D missions. Every few months I have them trim it.

Nothing beats a good proper trim IMHO.

SW2011

If your hair looks really uneven, and you wear it down alot, you might want to go ahead and trim. I do the S&D method, so it never really looks too uneven, and this has helped me to maintain my length. I trim my hair maybe every 6 months to even it all up. But I make sure to moisturize my ends daily, and they look great overall. Maybe this would work for you as well.

DivaD04

This is so true, because this is what happened to my hair :wallbash:.

i just thought i'd add this cuz i don't think pp realize it so i think it's a good note to have on hand.
but girl, u know ur hair is bang'n tho right!:yep:

btw yvonne i don't think dusting is the cause of ur unevenness but how u dust which goes back to whether or not ur hair is straighten when dusting...i take it u were probably satisfied with dusting ur hair and wearing ur hair natural so it u probably didn't think twice about it until u straightened ur hair. so kim anytime u pic up shears....

Last edited: