Newbie looking for transitioning support!

missalex

Hello all, I am a college student who has been lurking in the background on LCHF for about three years now but just now decided to subscribe...I should have done so earlier! I am relaxed but have been thinking about going natural for a while. My friends (who are relaxed, natural, or in some state of transitioning) support me all the way but my family is a whole 'nother story. :ohwell: My father even told me I would look like a boy!

When I told my mom I wanted to stop getting relaxers she told me that all of my hair would break off. She has her costemology license and has been doing my hair my entire life; I've never been to a salon. So as you can imagine, hs/college was the only time I was doing my own hair and I have been trying to learn all I can from LCHF! I am mostly worried about styles that would prevent breakage as much as possible and keep my hands out of my hair. I think if my mom saw that I was able to take care of my hair while transitioning, she would change her mind!

Can you ladies give me any idea of where to start with maintaining my newgrowth? So far I try to DC weekly and cowash when I feel I need it but my hair is really thick (so thick that I frequently have people ask me if I'm natural!) and I want to keep it healthy without stressing the line of demarcation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know some of you beautiful ladies have tips for me :yep:

I will continue browsing these forums as well, this is a gold mine! Thanks so much.

MsChelle

WELCOME!!!!! Stop listening to people tell you that your hair is gonna fall out....All of our hair will fall out if we don't care for it. But, it sounds like you are willing to care for your hair so put that out of your mind. What products do you currently use? Do you do protective styles at all? And as far as you looking like a boy.......well, unless you look like one now I doubt that will be an issue.:lachen: No offense to your Mom and Dad but I had to say that.

BlaqBella

ITA^^^. Welcome to the other side of LHCF op. It's not that hard (it just seems so from time to time) while transitioning to natural. And i was looking for a place to say this today (so plz forgive) but since i went back natural (after 20+ yrs) i see that i won't be wishing my days away waiting for the next perm date. Being natural is awesome and like another poster says everyone should experience it in their adult life. If nothing else but to see if it's right for them. As far as protective styles search here and youtube (and for the maintence of transitioning hair). Anything else We're here for you. You can message me with anything you may need..if i can help i will. HHG!

Last edited:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
My tip would be to just treat your hair like it is 100% natural regardless of how much relaxed length you have. Now is the time to figure out what your natural hair likes and doesn't like so you don't have to scramble to figure it out when you do the BC.
Read though this forum and watch youtube. Look out for women who are either completely natural, transitioning, or do long relaxer stretches (12 weeks post and up.)

Here are some threads that may help:
~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~
TYPE 4= RELAXED & NATURALS.....post your "current" REGIMEN
HAIRSTYLES FOR TRANSITIONERS (For reference) !!!

missalex

Thank you all for your support! A good friend of mine went natural a couple of years ago and attributes her success and being able to take care of her new hair to LCHF. Bttrfly70, I have tried bantu knots, but since it has only been four or five weeks since my last relaxer my hair is still reasonably straight so I will blowdry/flatiron (I know, bad! :p) or wrap it. I am looking for some protective styles and am thinking of kinky twists. Has anyone had experience with using the twists to help grow out their relaxer?