HAIRSTYLES FOR TRANSITIONERS (For reference) !!!

MummysGirl

:hiya:

I know quite a few of us are transitioning and some are thinking of transitioning.

As a transitioner, I know we can get STRESSED when we are stumped for hairstyles. Sometimes we see some styles that we love, we try to them and we end up with :hair: ..... :pullhair:!

I have seen some threads where we're asked to share styles but I think we need more...

So Ladies, please share your styles... with pictures of the results (and the process), technique (how-to), products used, etc.

PLEASE NOTE: There's more than one way to achieve a style... so there's nothing wrong with multiple replies for the same style :yep:

What do you think?

MummysGirl

BRAIDOUT

Cowash (or wash/DC as normal), apply leave in (I use Giovanni Direct leave-in) and detangle hair, put hair up in a ponytail for 30 minutes and let down to airdy to about 70-80%.
I usually do 5 cornrows... on each section I apply lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol before cornrowing. I usually put my ends in 1-2 rollers or a flexirod.

I usually airdry overnight... When taking them out, I continuously dip my finger in my shea mix (unrefined shea butter, castor oil, coconut oil and aloe vera gel) - this is a way of preventing frizz and also moisturising.

Result is:

Last edited:

MummysGirl

TWISTOUT

Cowash (or wash/DC as normal), apply leave in (I use Giovanni Direct leave-in) and detangle hair, put hair up in a ponytail for 30 minutes and let down to airdy to about 70-80%.
I usually do 5 flat twists (I learned how to flat twist using this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKugFF04jI)... on each section I apply lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol before twisting. I usually put my ends in a flexirod or bantu knots.

I usually airdry overnight... When taking them out, I continuously dip my finger in my shea mix (unrefined shea butter, castor oil, coconut oil and aloe vera gel) - this is a way of preventing frizz and also moisturising.

Result is:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Very cute Mummysgirl!!

Perm rod set.

instructions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Eqm2TqB-PA

~Hair~Fetish~

This is an excellent idea! I'm not transitioning, but trying to stretch 16 weeks. Can't wait for more responses. :yep:

Ltown

Greyland
BRAIDOUT

I usually do 5 cornrows... on each section I apply lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol before cornrowing. I usually put my ends in 1-2 rollers or a flexirod.

Result is:

How long does it take for you to air dry? My hair takes all day!

Anew

Good idea, can't see any pics posted so far but from looking at siggies I'm sure they look nice

shtow

(Sigh) I wish I could do straightbacks on my own hair but sadly I can only do singles.

Beautiful pics ladies.

MummysGirl

BRAIDS (no extensions)

I cowash and/or DC as normal, apply leave in and AIRDRY. This style will be difficult if you have blowdried or straightened (rollerset, ceraminc iron) hair. Your ends will unravel!!! I cowash my braids 3 times a week and DC at least once a week. I redo the edges after 7-10 days...

Ltown

Greyland
BRAIDS (no extensions)

I cowash and/or DC as normal, apply leave in and AIRDRY. This style will be difficult if you have blowdried or straightened (rollerset, ceraminc iron) hair. Your ends will unravel!!! I cowash my braids 3 times a week and DC at least once a week. I redo the edges after 7-10 days...

MummysGirl, how long it take you to braid your hair and do you frizz at all?

Grand Prix

MummysGirl, those braids look really neat!
But how do you keep your relaxed ends from unraveling? Just by airdrying?

MummysGirl

MummysGirl, how long it take you to braid your hair and do you frizz at all?
2-3 hours. Oh yes it frizzes :yep: Not too much though... I had them in for 3 weeks this last time, they had gotten too frizzy by the end of the 3rd week.

MummysGirl, those braids look really neat!
But how do you keep your relaxed ends from unraveling? Just by airdrying?
Thank you :grin:
I think the airdrying is what makes my braids stay in... also my ends haven't been trimmed blunt in a long time (that might also be why)

When u air dry overnight do u cover your head? If so with what?
I cover my hair with my satin scarf.

MummysGirl

Braidout Styles

When you take out your braids or flat twists and your results just don't work... don't worry, you can still make your hair look good!

This was my 2nd/3rd ever braidout attempt. I was so upset cos it didn't turn out right... I had 5-10 minutes to style my hair so I moisturised and put it up in a ponytail.. then I used a scarf as an accessory:

This was actually a nice braidout but then my scalp got sweaty and I think my hair got a little wet (yes it was a fun day :lachen:). I twisted my hair and pinned it up:

plastic

is it ok if I post pics if my stretching styles ? I used to stretch for over 5 months at a time ...

andromeda

Bantu knotted twist out
End result:

Wash hair and DC with AOHSR.
Rinse and apply Giovanni Direct Leave In to wet hair.
Spritz with Patene Relaxed & Natural Setting Spray
On damp hair, twist hair while winding tightly into bantu knot
Seal ends with shea butter and ensure they are tucked under neatly, so that they will curl properly

Please ignore the architectural feat that is my nape bridge :giggle:
Let dry overnight
Carefully unravel knot/twist and separate curls as desired to reveal bouncy spiral curls
Another shot of the styleIMAG0381.jpg

ETA: Other ways to wear this style:
Messy Updo - got this style from Blessed and Highly Textured, here's the YT video tutorial

Refined Updo - same style with ends tucked under using hair pins. Front portion of hair is pinned back and under
IMAGE_432.jpg
IMAGE_433.jpg

Last edited:

MummysGirl

Oooh, love your results and hair!
Thank you!!! I really want to try a bantu knot out soon!

Bantu knotted twist out
End result:

Wash hair and DC with AOHSR.
Rinse and apply Giovanni Direct Leave In to wet hair.
Spritz with Patene Relaxed & Natural Setting Spray
On damp hair, twist hair while winding tightly into bantu knot
Seal ends with shea butter and ensure they are tucked under neatly, so that they will curl properly

Please ignore the architectural feat that is my nape bridge :giggle:
Let dry overnight
Carefully unravel knot/twist and separate curls as desired to reveal bouncy spiral curls
Another shot of the styleView attachment 45904

ETA: Other ways to wear this style:
Messy Updo - got this style from Blessed and Highly Textured, here's the YT video tutorial

Refined Updo - same style with ends tucked under using hair pins. Front portion of hair is pinned back and under
View attachment 45906
View attachment 45908

nikki2229

MummysGirl, How often do you do your twist/braid outs?
How do you moisturize your hair and maintain your hair in between styling?

MummysGirl

Since I reached 6/7 months post, I have my hair loose for 2 weeks at a times (other 2 weeks - braids (no extensions). I usually do my braid/twistouts during this time...
On day one, as I'm taking out the braids, I dip my fingers in shea mix so that as I'm running them through my hair, I'm moisturising...
Every night, I lightly spritz with my moisturising mix (con, evoo, glycerin and water) and lightly seal with shea mix, before rebraiding. I always rebraid at night... if not I wake up to :hair:... I tried going to bed without rebraiding once and never again.

MummysGirl, How often do you do your twist/braid outs?
How do you moisturize your hair and maintain your hair in between styling?

plastic

one month post i believe - easy style

flexirod sets work ! especially to hide ng . Sorry this one didnt come out too nice because I pulled them out while my hair was damp

braid out

cornrows at front , plaits at back ( own hair )

plaits undone

simple ponytail

When i stretch , i do not try and deal with my ng . I let it do what it wants. I do not brush it or comb it . Except for detangling which is once or twice every two months no matter what style I have it in. I prefer low maintenance styles where I can just spray and moisturise my ng . The end *p.s - sorry i tried to make them smaller ...

MummysGirl

Thank you!!!
I'd love to do these :grin:
one month post i believe - easy style

cornrows at front , plaits at back ( own hair )

When i stretch , i do not try and deal with my ng . I let it do what it wants. I do not brush it or comb it . Except for detangling which is once or twice every two months no matter what style I have it in. I prefer low maintenance styles where I can just spray and moisturise my ng . The end *p.s - sorry i tried to make them smaller ...