Please Help - My Transitioning Hair

kim1006

I have been transitioning back to natural since early July 2016 and my texture is showing in the back of my head where all of the relaxed hair has been cut off. I also see my texture coming through on the sides of my head where most of the relaxed hair has been cut off as well. However, when I part my hair down the center, all of the visible hair is straight. The hair underneath is really puffy, so it is clear there is no relaxed hair.

I am tempted to cut off the remaining relaxed ends but not sure what I might get with the center being so straight. I am anxious to start wearing wash and gos. Please help.

TIA

Alma Petra

I have been transitioning back to natural since early July 2016 and my texture is showing in the back of my head where all of the relaxed hair has been cut off. I also see my texture coming through on the sides of my head where most of the relaxed hair has been cut off as well. However, when I part my hair down the center, all of the visible hair is straight. The hair underneath is really puffy, so it is clear there is no relaxed hair.

I am tempted to cut off the remaining relaxed ends but not sure what I might get with the center being so straight. I am anxious to start wearing wash and gos. Please help.

TIA

Hey twin. I have the exact same problem even though I am tempted to think that maybe it's my crown's nature to be cottony without definition. I'm not giving up yet though so I'll be watching this thread for suggestions.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Hey congratulations on your transition so far. Do you still straighten? Could it be heat damage? Do you wear your hair pulled back a lot? You really won't know your true texture until you completely cut the perm off. Even then it will take a minute for your hair to adjust.

kim1006

Hey congratulations on your transition so far. Do you still straighten? Could it be heat damage? Do you wear your hair pulled back a lot? You really won't know your true texture until you completely cut the perm off. Even then it will take a minute for your hair to adjust.[/QUOTE

Thank you. The last time I had my hair straighten was April. I have only had my hair straighten three times since going natural - each time for a trim. I do, however, wear a lot of buns.

Last edited:

silverlotus

Could be some sections with a much looser curl than the others. I BCed 2 months ago, and I had some straight pieces, but as my hair has grown, I realized it's just a much looser curl. At this point, it's best to cut and see what you're working with. You can always finger coil the straight pieces to blend them. Congrats on hitting a year!