Newbie Challenge 08 P2

Ivy_Butter

I am..about 3 weeks...no adverse reactions so far..I'll be on the look out:detective:..thanks for the heads up.

What dosage are you taking? Are you taking the b-complex as well. I bought biotin and the b-commplex online. On March 1st I'm gonna start taking them.

SunySydeofLyfe

Good Morning Sunshines!

I see I wasn't the only one that went to sleep early.
I wanted to ask if anyone taking Biotin experience breakouts because of it? I purchased some but I heard that it causes breakouts so I immediately stopped taking it. I already have issues with acne and I dont' need to add on to the problem.

I did, but I have been suffering with acne most of my life. I read that if you take it you should supplement it with B-12 or a B complex. I stopped taking it all together because I am finally clearer than I have been in forever. I have been having a cup of carrot juice in the morning, 3 flax seed and a B complex. In the evening I take a MSM tablet (changing to powder soon) and an iron tablet, when I remember I take a multi-vit around lunch time.....its alot I know but I dont eat right and I know that nourishing my insides will help my outsides. HTH

SunySydeofLyfe

Some info I borrowed from another post...

Are You A Protien

Thank you, Supergirl. I copied this information as a reference because I want to be sure that I am careful with how much protien I use and what protien treatments are going to require special/more moisture.

Is it a protein treatment?

Motions CPR--YES
Motions Moisture Silk Protein--YES
ORS Olive Oil--NO
Kenra Intensive Emollient--NO
Cholesterol Conditioners--NO
Elucence Extended Moisture Repair--YES (though the name says moisture)
Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair--YES*
Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor--YES
Joico K-Pak--YES (not starred, but I'd consider this semi-hardcore)
ORS Mayo--NO
Dudley DRC--YES*
Ultra Sheen Duotex--YES*
Nexxus Keraphix--YES
Nexxus Emergencee--YES*
Dudley Cream Protein--YES

*=hardcore, though there are different levels of hardcority (like my word?) For example, a hardcore with keratin or animal protein is going to be stronger than one with collagen.

Notice that the one with the stars are all products that come in liquid form. They are so potent because they are straight protein (a few stabilizers and preservatives) with no creams and emollients to get in the way. The protein goes straight on your hair strand unobstructed by other ingredients.

LivingDoll

THIS THREAD IS SOOO SICK!!! Y'all are some "Ride or Die, Long Hair Wanting, Regimen Building, Product Junkies"!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen:I MADE THE CUT!!! YAY!

I can't even believe the thread is 7 pages and it's only 9:36am! Okay, so I have to tell y'all how I was fiending in the BSS last night. I went up to the counter with all of the following:

ORS Olive Oil Lye Relaxer
ORS Replenishing Condish (Big bottle)
ORS Neutralizing Poo
Elasta QP Mango Butter
Elasta QP DRP-11 Deep Condish

I had to go cold turkey. I put it all back.:lachen:

LivingDoll

Some info I borrowed from another post...

Are You A Protien

Thank you, Supergirl. I copied this information as a reference because I want to be sure that I am careful with how much protien I use and what protien treatments are going to require special/more moisture.

Is it a protein treatment?

Motions CPR--YES
Motions Moisture Silk Protein--YES
ORS Olive Oil--NO
Kenra Intensive Emollient--NO
Cholesterol Conditioners--NO
Elucence Extended Moisture Repair--YES (though the name says moisture)
Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair--YES*
Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor--YES
Joico K-Pak--YES (not starred, but I'd consider this semi-hardcore)
ORS Mayo--NO
Dudley DRC--YES*
Ultra Sheen Duotex--YES*
Nexxus Keraphix--YES
Nexxus Emergencee--YES*
Dudley Cream Protein--YES

*=hardcore, though there are different levels of hardcority (like my word?) For example, a hardcore with keratin or animal protein is going to be stronger than one with collagen.

Notice that the one with the stars are all products that come in liquid form. They are so potent because they are straight protein (a few stabilizers and preservatives) with no creams and emollients to get in the way. The protein goes straight on your hair strand unobstructed by other ingredients.

Good to know...I thought ORS Mayo was a light protein condish. I'm gonna save this list.

Bliss806

I have this really good protein treatment at home. It has 100% protein. It really stinks but it works instantly.

Bliss806

Did you know that you can customize you settings? I changed mine so right now I am only showing three pages. It gets annoying clicking on all those pages and going back and forth.... why not just scroll up. Oh and my layout is now purple and white and looks cool!

Bliss806

Okay I just realized I didn't write the name of the protein treatment that I used but I am sorry I forgot it :nono: but I will have the name of the product up here in about 3 hours. Cause it works really good. I can give a discription and maybe someone knows what I am referring to.
It is in a sliver bottle with black lettering. It smells and looks like soy sauce lol. and its really watery.

LivingDoll

Okay I just realized I didn't write the name of the protein treatment that I used but I am sorry I forgot it :nono: but I will have the name of the product up here in about 3 hours. Cause it works really good. I can give a discription and maybe someone knows what I am referring to.
It is in a sliver bottle with black lettering. It smells and looks like soy sauce lol. and its really watery.

Girl, anything is better than that stinky Aphoghee 2 Step Treatment. Maybe I got a hold of a bad batch...it smelled like feet!:lachen: I shoulda known not to put it in my hair!:nono:

miami74

Good Morning Sunshines!

I see I wasn't the only one that went to sleep early.
I wanted to ask if anyone taking Biotin experience breakouts because of it? I purchased some but I heard that it causes breakouts so I immediately stopped taking it. I already have issues with acne and I dont' need to add on to the problem.

I've been taking Nature Bounty Hair, Skin & Nail vitamins and it contains 3000 mcg of biotin. I haven't had any problems with breakouts. I've been taking it for a month now. And then again too, I've been trying to drink a lot of water daily, so that could be why I'm not having breakouts.

Bliss806

I am horrible with drinking water! I mean I hardly ever drink anything besides hot tea. I don't really like drinking anything cold but I seriously need to start drinking more water. I need some motivation. My GYN tells me that I need to drink more. That's probably why my skin is so bad. urghh!

Bliss806

Do you really get the same nutrients from Vitamin water as you do with regular water? I would drink that but to me it just doesn't seem like it is the same thing.

Bliss806

Girl, anything is better than that stinky Aphoghee 2 Step Treatment. Maybe I got a hold of a bad batch...it smelled like feet!:lachen: I shoulda known not to put it in my hair!:nono:

Well this one stinks too but it sure doesn't smell like feet! Eww... To me it really smells like soy sauce... I swear it probably is lol

Bliss806

I've been taking Nature Bounty Hair, Skin & Nail vitamins and it contains 3000 mcg of biotin. I haven't had any problems with breakouts. I've been taking it for a month now. And then again too, I've been trying to drink a lot of water daily, so that could be why I'm not having breakouts.

Okay.... I will start taking them again along with my fish pills since I started taking my BC again which aids in clearing up acne.

LivingDoll

I am horrible with drinking water! I mean I hardly ever drink anything besides hot tea. I don't really like drinking anything cold but I seriously need to start drinking more water. I need some motivation. My GYN tells me that I need to drink more. That's probably why my skin is so bad. urghh!

Bliss girl, I don't drink water like I should either, but when I do...I can tell the difference IMMEDIATELY!:yep: Believe me, if the GYN tells you to drink more...you should. It will make all the difference (if u know what I mean) :grin:...

Bliss806

Yeah I know... I need to listen. I am always asking her to give me something for my skin and I know she is thinking "i am not her dermatologist" lol.

SunySydeofLyfe

I think this is from Essence, I saved it...never filled it out but today is a good day.....

MY GETTING THE LIFE I DESERVE PLEDGE
This is my year to be the woman I’ve always wanted to be. This year I will put ___(your name)__________ first.
Starting (date), I will focus on taking the steps to achieve my goals. Ever since ________ I’ve known that I
wanted to __________. Today I will create a plan to realize my dreams.
This is my year to achieve four goals:
1___________________________________________________________________
2___________________________________________________________________
3__________________________________________________________________

4__________________________________________________________________
Negative factors, real and imagined, will no longer be obstacles to my success. To get over (obstacle#1),
I will stop _________________________. To get over (obstacle# 2), I will pray that _____________________
To get over (obstacle# 3), I will plan to ________________ I know that I will be successful because it is my
dream to _______________.
To stay on track, I will have my friend (his/her name) check in on my progress every week/month/quarter
(choose one) and hold me accountable. This is my personal 2008 pledge to myself so that I can realize my
dreams and live the wonderful life I fully deserve!

SunySydeofLyfe

MY GETTING THE Hair I DESERVE PLEDGE
This is my year to be the woman with the hair I’ve always wanted to be/have. This year I will put Tamika first.

Starting February 20, 2008, I will focus on taking the steps to achieve my goals. Ever since November 2007 I’ve known that I
wanted to grow my hair long. Today I will create a plan to realize my dreams.
This is my year to achieve four goals:
1Healthy, long hair
2Reach full shoulder length in 2008
3Maintain good hair habits
4Plan for my next goal of APL

Negative factors, real and imagined, will no longer be obstacles to my success. To get over (obstacle#1),
I will stop believing that black women cant grow long hair, jumping on every bandwagon, not focusing on the appropriate steps to achieve my goals, not listening to my hair.
To get over (obstacle# 2), I will pray that God will continue to add wonderful supportive women to this forum to encourage and share with me
To get over (obstacle# 3), I will plan to commit to something for me
I know that I will be successful because it is my
dream to have long healthy hair
To stay on track, I will have my friend (Newbie Challenge Participants) check in on my progress every week/month/quarter
(choose one) and hold me accountable. This is my personal 2008 pledge to myself so that I can realize my dreams and live the wonderful life with healthy long hair I fully deserve!

Last edited:

cocopuff06

Okay I turn off my computer and leave work 5:15 yesterday and turn it back on today at 9:30 and I am 1 thread and 8 pages behind!!!! :blush::drunk::spinning::shocked:

So much to catch up on, I feel like I'm :drowning:

But I first just wanted to say :hiya: and I'm so excited to take this journey with all of you!!! :yay:

Okay, time to play catchup! :grin:

cocopuff06

HI LADIES!!! I got here as fast as I could :cowgirl:!

I just wanted to check in and say HI. Everything is still going okay for me. I believe I had posted about my natural hair lacking moisture. Last night I applied some Carefree Curl Gold and sealed with Castor Oil. I baggie'd my entire head for the majority of the night. I think I snatched that cap off at about 5am and my hair feels so much better today. I might need to do that at least 2x's per week.

Tomorrow night I do my shampoo. I'll be trying the coconut oil as a pre-poo. Keep your fingers crossed!

Okay I was feeling the SAME WAY! :look: I got the Fantasia IC leave in con and put some in my hair and baggied my entire head and then put on my satin cap. Boy, was I hot! :blush::couchfire: My hair really wasnt much softer, but jacked up! My twist out was pretty jacked up and my hair definitely shrunk! But yesterday I went out and got a few ORS rep packs and I am so excited :yay:to try it today!

cocopuff06

Try doing a twist out. I tried this for the first time lastnight and my hair turned out really nice today and is still very tightly curled. I did small twist then made a not and in the morning sooo much curls I didnt know what to do

Ooh sounds nice! What products did you use to twist your hair?

LivingDoll

Okay I was feeling the SAME WAY! :look: I got the Fantasia IC leave in con and put some in my hair and baggied my entire head and then put on my satin cap. Boy, was I hot! :blush::couchfire: My hair really wasnt much softer, but jacked up! My twist out was pretty jacked up and my hair definitely shrunk! But yesterday I went out and got a few ORS rep packs and I am so excited :yay:to try it today!

:hiya:Cocopuff! Girl, I felt the same way about the thread! LMAO about you being hot! :lachen:That woulda been me too. I'm hot when I sleep without the baggy. Thanks for changing my mind about baggying my entire head...I was seriously thinking about it. Plus I haven't had the best time lately.

ETA: Hope you love the ORS Replen Paks as much as I do!

cocopuff06

THIS THREAD IS SOOO SICK!!! Y'all are some "Ride or Die, Long Hair Wanting, Regimen Building, Product Junkies"!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen:I MADE THE CUT!!! YAY!

I can't even believe the thread is 7 pages and it's only 9:36am! Okay, so I have to tell y'all how I was fiending in the BSS last night. I went up to the counter with all of the following:

ORS Olive Oil Lye Relaxer
ORS Replenishing Condish (Big bottle)
ORS Neutralizing Poo
Elasta QP Mango Butter
Elasta QP DRP-11 Deep Condish

I had to go cold turkey. I put it all back.:lachen:

Wow, you're good! Last night I bought some ORS replenishing packs and the Fantasia IC leave in cond.... and I'm tempted to grab a thing or two today... :nono: Somebody help me, I'm addicted! :spinning:

25Nona

I was initially afraid of taking the biotin but I read that if you take it with a b-complex and drink lots of water it really helps. I also did not start out at a really high dosage. I'm still at 1000 mcg per day and no problems so far.

Hi Everybody, took a break last night my SO demanded my attention, so I figured I'd give him one night out of the week :grin:

I started taking the 2800 mcg of biotin, and B-12 with water and haven't experience the breakouts. I know in my adult years I started experiencing adult acne, but it seems as though it actually helping my skin and not hurting it. I’ve been taking them for aprox 3 weeks now and so far so good.

I also just added this weekend a hair, nail and skin vitamin that has 3000 mcg of biotin added to it as well. I'm going to give it a couple of day and see if it does anything to me.

Just checking in on the new thread - and it already has a lot of pages in one day I see. Either this weekend or next weekend I am going to Henna my hair for the first time - I will keep you posted on the results.

Bliss806

Okay so I got the name of the Protein treatment that I used and it is called Jheredding 100% Natural Protein.

Galadriel

Hi Ladies!

I just had to rave about Freeman Sea Kelp Moisture Conditioner!

OMG! I used it for the first time this morning and I swear I felt my hair truly drenched in moisture. It's so nice and thick and creamy--I'm contemplating using it as a leave-in too. I towel-dried my hair and let it air dry some more and then put some Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade on my hair. I gently (w/ my boar bristle brush) brushed back my hair and placed it in a bun. My hair is sooooo shiny and soft! I highly recommend this conditioner! :grin: