Newbie Challenge 08 P2

pr3tty

I first heard about it on here and then I went out and got it and I loved it. I have seen a dramatic difference in my hair since I've started using that in combination with my other products. A lot of other ladies also it's great too!.

Im such a PJ... Im gonna run out and get this along with ORS paks

ivyQuietstorm

Hi there! I finally made! Hope I made it in time.:auto:. Great to see some familar 'hairs'. Well, right now, I'm experiencing some breakage unfortunately. I think I overdid it with the protein conditioning this weekend. I did a CW yesterday to try to combat the breakage. It eased a little, but not completely gone. I moisturized tonight with Keracare conditioning hairdress and sealed with coconut oil. I am wondering though, if I should try to find another moisturizer that doesn't contain mineral oil, petroleum and lanolin oil. Apparently I read somewhere that these ingredients don't provide good moisture. Can anyone please suggest a good true moisturizer that I can use on a daily basis? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :spinning:

Yes, you definately want to stay away from mineral oil and petroleum. I don't at all know about lanolin. The mineral oil and petroleum act as a sealant and prevent moisture for entering into the hair shaft. Definately a NO GO for what you are trying to accomplish. A lot of people use Jheri Curl products for moisture (Carefree Curl, S Curl, Sta Sof Fro). Perhaps it may be worth investigating.

Let me know how it turns out for you!

Ivy

Bliss806

Your hair looks really nice and thick.. I need to know how u post those pics without seeing the link?

I use photobucket. It isn't the fastest way but hey it works. Photobucket.com I believe you might have to sign up. After signing up you just click upload pics and then select the pics you'd like to use and then scroll to the bottom and click generate HTML. They will give you a few selections and then you just click on it and then paste it into the post.

ivyQuietstorm

Yep those ingredients don't do a darn thing besides coat your hair and scalp with a hot greasy mess!!!! I like to use a glycerin and water mixture on my hair to moisturize daily. The glycerin is really cheap (less than $3) and you can find it at your local drugstore like CVS. If you notice, glycerin is a main ingredient in a lot of moisturizers.The trick with glycerin/water is finding the right ratio of glycerin to water for your hair. Too much glycerin and not enough water leaves your hair feeling greasy.

Have you had any problems with build up from the glycerin? I have some in my stash and I had to leave it alone because I tried to OD on it.
The last time I co-washed, I had a lot of breakage because of build up.

What ratio do you use? I used 1:1.

ivyQuietstorm

I rarely use a moisturizer on a daily basis, but I do use a coconut oil sometimes too for my scalp and on my toddler's hair. It's Dabur Vatika oil.

How to you like this coconut oil? I have it in my stash and it's hard for me to get past the smell. How much do you use?

I_shure_do_wish

Hey Ladies,

Im Just here typing out a regimen for future refrence and im stuck in between using braids (based on the crown and glory regimen) or just sticking to protective styles all year long. What do you think is more effective? Or what works for you? :look:

beautifulreality

Checking in again! Pr3tty, you are about to make me run to Wal-Mart and get the Break's Over conditioner! Well actually, I'm looking at the Herbal Essences website now and I kinda want everything.:grin: And I may have to go to my old salon to get the Mizani h20. Oh and FindingMe, I've been longing for that Ojon sample pack from Sephora for a long time now. Ugh when will the PJ in me stop! Leona2025, I use KeraCare's setting lotion on my roller sets. The curls last all week and it is not drying at all. It has a really nice smell too.

I tried the Elasta QP Mango Butter when I was transitioning and I loved it! I had soft and not greasy hair.

Oh and if anyone wants to try Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream let me know. I'm still debating about giving the whole container away or divide it up. It's definitely too heavy for my relaxed hair but just thought some of our natural members specifically would be interested.

Ms.AmerAKA

I first heard about it on here and then I went out and got it and I loved it. I have seen a dramatic difference in my hair since I've started using that in combination with my other products. A lot of other ladies also it's great too!.

I need to try this!!!:yep:

I_shure_do_wish

How to you like this coconut oil? I have it in my stash and it's hard for me to get past the smell. How much do you use?

Wow I never knew you could use coconut to seal your ends. I have a jug but I too cant get based that smell. I usually just use it as general hair oil and people have told me it makes my hair feel softer

beautifulreality

Hey Ladies,

Im Just here typing out a regimen for future refrence and im stuck in between using braids (based on the crown and glory regimen) or just sticking to protective styles all year long. What do you think is more effective? Or what works for you? :look:

I've done both and I think that they both are pretty effective, but please make sure that the braids are not done too tight. I had a bad experience with my last set of braids because of that. The C and G method works really good though. Good luck with whatever you decide to stick with.

miami74

Yes, you definately want to stay away from mineral oil and petroleum. I don't at all know about lanolin. The mineral oil and petroleum act as a sealant and prevent moisture for entering into the hair shaft. Definately a NO GO for what you are trying to accomplish. A lot of people use Jheri Curl products for moisture (Carefree Curl, S Curl, Sta Sof Fro).

Ivy

[/I]That sounds interesting. I will definitely investigate. Thanks.

pr3tty

Checking in again! Pr3tty, you are about to make me run to Wal-Mart and get the Break's Over conditioner! Well actually, I'm looking at the Herbal Essences website now and I kinda want everything.:grin: And I may have to go to my old salon to get the Mizani h20. Oh and FindingMe, I've been longing for that Ojon sample pack from Sephora for a long time now. Ugh when will the PJ in me stop! Leona2025, I use KeraCare's setting lotion on my roller sets. The curls last all week and it is not drying at all. It has a really nice smell too.

I tried the Elasta QP Mango Butter when I was transitioning and I loved it! I had soft and not greasy hair.

Oh and if anyone wants to try Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream let me know. I'm still debating about giving the whole container away or divide it up. It's definitely too heavy for my relaxed hair but just thought some of our natural members specifically would be interested.

You have to try the breaks over Its sooo good. I kept washing my hair thinking the conditioner was still on thats how much slip I had. Its yummy:lick:. My NG has neverrr felt so soft and Im 9 wks post

I_shure_do_wish

I've done both and I think that they both are pretty effective, but please make sure that the braids are not done too tight. I had a bad experience with my last set of braids because of that. The C and G method works really good though. Good luck with whatever you decide to stick with.

Thanks! I've decided on the crown and glory method and I can say I've been a victim of the tight braids the only difference is I caused it upon myself. I'll do them pretty big this time cause the micros are not doing it what so ever.

pr3tty

Ladies Plz dont 4get to check up on our First newbie challenge. There are still ladies joining who still needs our help and support. Also Anyone whose name is not on the first page plz direct them to post their questions/comments on that thread. I just dont want this thread to be filled so fast like the first one. So lets try to make this a members only thread and the original thread the general one.

Thanx

KLomax

:roadrunner:Hey Y'all...I came as fast as I could.

I exercised last night (sweaty scalp & hair)so now it's time for my weekly reggie.

I ordered a bunch of DOM products online and they arrived today. :clap:I have Alter Ego Energizing and Rebalancing Cream on my dry hair under a plastic cap...no heat...postings said it was a protein condish but very moisturizing...can be used as DC,leave-in or daily moisturizer. :werd:

I put it on my dry hair..no CW..no nuthin'...I think am going to rinse and put in a leave ( I bought 3)...I am unsure of the style. I will let you know tomorrow.

Last edited:

pr3tty

:roadrunner:Hey Y'all...I came as fast as I could.

I exercised last night (sweaty scalp & hair)so now it's time for my weekly reggie.

I ordered a bunch of DOM products online and they arrived today. :clap:I have Alter Ego Energizing and Rebalancing Cream on my dry hair under a plastic cap...no heat...postings said it was a protein condish but very moisturizing...can be used as DC,leave-in or daily moisturizer. :werd:

I also put it on my dry hair..no CW..no nuthin'...I think am going to rinse and put in a leave ( I bought 3)...I am unsure of the style. I will let you know tomorrow.

Im happy tou found us... Cant wait to hear how ur hair turned out

Ms.AmerAKA

Have you had any problems with build up from the glycerin? I have some in my stash and I had to leave it alone because I tried to OD on it.
The last time I co-washed, I had a lot of breakage because of build up.

What ratio do you use? I used 1:1.
The first time I used glycerin I did a 1:1. It was okay but I had to definitley watch how much I used or I would get greasy hair and lots of buildup. The second time around I used a 2:1 (water:glycerin) and it worked much better and caused less buildup

TaurusAngel

:grin:Hey!!!!!!! I'm always so late getting on here. but the ladies in this challenge are absolutely wonderful. I'm glad to be apart of this challenge with u all. :grin:

Ms.AmerAKA

I love Coconut Oil! I usually use a nickel size on my hair. Do you not like the smell of coconut?? That is what mine smells like. It makes me want to eat it! :lick: I use unrefined pure coconut oil that I buy at GNC. At room temp. it's solid but once I put it in my hands it melts like butter! I also heard that you can ingest coconut oil for healthy hair. Has anyone heard of this?

Last edited:

KLomax

I see I seriously need to get up on this ORS Pack.. I saw it in the store when I was purchasing all my hair care products that I got from a list but that was after the lady finished ringing me up.
I am going to post some up to date pics right now (if my wireless connection works) I took them today....I am loving my hair right now!
So far I have been living by Elasta QP Mango Butter, ORS Carrot oil, Coconut oil and Nexxus Humectress so I guessI can throw something else in there.

After I attempt to post these pics I am hitting the sheets because it is an hour past my bed time:perplexed. YES I go to sleep early lol. But I will surely be on when I get to work tomorrow as long as my supervisor doesn't catch me and I am not swamped with work.

How do you use it?...hairline...ends?

Never mind...I found that post.

Last edited:

Bliss806

Good Morning Sunshines!

I see I wasn't the only one that went to sleep early.
I wanted to ask if anyone taking Biotin experience breakouts because of it? I purchased some but I heard that it causes breakouts so I immediately stopped taking it. I already have issues with acne and I dont' need to add on to the problem.

HotRibena

Good Morning Sunshines!

I wanted to ask if anyone taking Biotin experience breakouts because of it? I purchased some but I heard that it causes breakouts so I immediately stopped taking it. I already have issues with acne and I dont' need to add on to the problem.

I was initially afraid of taking the biotin but I read that if you take it with a b-complex and drink lots of water it really helps. I also did not start out at a really high dosage. I'm still at 1000 mcg per day and no problems so far.

KLomax

Good Morning Sunshines!

I am..about 3 weeks...no adverse reactions so far..I'll be on the look out:detective:..thanks for the heads up.

HotRibena

How to you like this coconut oil (Dabur Vatika)? I have it in my stash and it's hard for me to get past the smell. How much do you use?

I've heard ladies describe the smell of vatika in two different ways. One version smells like coconut and light lemon - the other...not so much - it's slightly yuk. Of course I have the yukky one. I use a very small amount sometimes at night (sorry for the DH - but I'd rather he smell it than the general public).

Ivy_Butter

Good Morning Sunshines!

I know, I wake up this morning to 6 pages of a new thread. I'm like where was I?