New user with a SEDU flat iron question

bimtheduck

Hello ladies!
long time lurker, recent subscriber, and first time poster.
So I plan on buying a SEDU tomorrow but after some research online I've found that some ppl were having problems with the cord fraying or shorting out. Have any of you had this problem with the SEDU? Other than that the reviews were positively glowing!

Also, I thought that I should mention that I plan on getting my SEDU from Ulta. The first Tuesday of every month is college day at Ulta, your entire purchase is 20% off when you show your college ID. I am no longer a student but still have my ID for occasions such as this.

I know that flat irons aren't exactly the best for my hair but I figured since I really don't see myself going without direct heat for any longer than 2 weeks at a time I had better invest in a good flat iron that wont burn, snag, or pull my hair. Anywho any help on the matter will be much appreciated as I am just starting out my long hair care journey and the longest my hair has ever gotten is right past my shoulder blades (angel wings). Thanks for the help and I look forward to learning more from you all!

kami11213

Hey, welcome! I have the Sedu 1 1/2 inches, and had it for over a year now and haven't had any problems so far. I'm sure you'll love it, I get great results w/ it...

Mizani_Mrs

Hey sis, welcome! I didnt know that the cord shorting out was a known problem. I owned a Sedu 3yrs ago and the same thing happened to me. :wallbash: I'm still pissed about it... cause i hate being ripped off. The Sedu has a surge protector thing on the cord, kinda like a blow dryer...so the surge thing would keep popping out and turning the flat-iron off. my dumb butt just thought that it was shutting off cause it was getting too hot or something. then it got worse and i would have to pop the surge button like 10times before it would turn on. then it got even worse and it would blow the electrical outlet that I was using... so i'd have to use another one and my hubby would have to go to the garage to reset the circuit. and then when it got worse and the flatiron completely gave out and wouldn't come on...by that time my warranty had expired. I contacted them via email...they were nice enough to respond but they surely wasn't trying to send me a new one. so now i will be a FHI user fo' life!!!! And on top of that...the plates weren't even aligned straight! but that was my fault for being desperate to give sedu a try. So give it a try if you really want a sedu, just dont ignore the signs. the first time the surge thing pops, then u should send it back and get something else. also look at the reviews on folica.com if you care to do more research.....

Hello ladies!
long time lurker, recent subscriber, and first time poster.
So I plan on buying a SEDU tomorrow but after some research online I've found that some ppl were having problems with the cord fraying or shorting out. Have any of you had this problem with the SEDU? Other than that the reviews were positively glowing!

Also, I thought that I should mention that I plan on getting my SEDU from Ulta. The first Tuesday of every month is college day at Ulta, your entire purchase is 20% off when you show your college ID. I am no longer a student but still have my ID for occasions such as this.

I know that flat irons aren't exactly the best for my hair but I figured since I really don't see myself going without direct heat for any longer than 2 weeks at a time I had better invest in a good flat iron that wont burn, snag, or pull my hair. Anywho any help on the matter will be much appreciated as I am just starting out my long hair care journey and the longest my hair has ever gotten is right past my shoulder blades (angel wings). Thanks for the help and I look forward to learning more from you all!

sydwrites

oh wow, i guess I didnt do my research, I had no idea about the cord problem. I've only had the sedu (1 inch revolution 2009 edition) for maybe four months and I havent had any problems. I'm natural and dont use it too often, so maybe this happens to people who use it alot more regularly than I. I'm loving mine though...

bimtheduck

Thanks for the input. I plan on getting the one with 1 1/2 inch plates which less bad reviews about the cord than the sedu revolution. I'd say 1 bad review for every 12 great reviews. For $100 bucks if it last me two years I'll consider it a good investment.

I'm so glad I found this website! I started me new regimen on Friday and having never practice daily moisturizing before I can already tell a difference in my hair these past 4 days.

Thanks again for yalls help :)

DarkAngell

Had my 1" sedu for a year with no problems. I know there are alot of ladies on here that swear by sedu.

I LOVE it. In the fall & winter i blow dried with sedu blow dryer and flat ironed with sedu flat iron once a week and my hair suffered no damage, my texture stayed the same, no increased breakage, my hair was softer, & i retained length. I bought it for the same reason as you; because if i'd be doing it alot, i wanted something GOOD that wouldn't kill my hair.

isawstars

I miss my sedu. I bought it in 2005. I had cord problems in less than one year. I called customer service and they said if i still had the papers they would replace it for me no charge... and of course I didn't have that stupid paper :wallbash: so i just suck it up and continued to use it. It never shut off on me or anything, it was just unsafe. I got a solia later on... and i regret it. I'm gonna have to go back to sedu.

So just make sure you keep everything that comes in the box!