• Sedu

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Solia

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Haven't tried either.

Votes: 33 36.3%

• Total voters

Latomian

I own a Sedu and my sisters both have Solia flat irons. The Solia is nice but I prefer my Sedu to it. It just seemed to leave my hair more shiny and straight.

Hysi

i did not get the results i was hoping with sedu. i bought it mainly b/c of the reviews on this site as well as theirs (folica), but i don't like it at all. So sad I've been so busy and let my 30 days pass me by. it is brand new & I wish to sell it and try another. I got better results with my old skool gold n hot ceramic. i had been using an 80.00 jilbere and the sedu is no better in my opinion. diss a ppointed!!

beana

i have the sedu and i loove it! No issues with this flat iron, i've used Chi (which snagged and left my hair parched) and the sedu is superior IMO. I've never tried the Solia though

djanae

I have both the Solia and the Sedu.

I purchased the solia months before the sedu- and at the time, I was very pleased with it (the hot pink 1"). I didn't have any issues with snagging and it left my hair straight and silky without the damage.

However, after getting my 1" sedu (the regular - not the revolution) I'd have to say I like it A LOT better. The pros of the sedu outweigh that of the solia IMO.

The sedu is MUCH lighter. When I told my sister to hold it - her eyes bulged out of her head b/c it was so lightweight lol - plus, she's held the solia and she knows that its kind of on the heavier side period.

Also, although the solia never fried my hair, the SMOKE was something out of this world.
I wasn't even putting it on the highest setting, and the smoke was enough to choke on! (no lie lol). You could smell it all over the house.

And another thing I like about the sedu, is I can actually do ONE pass if I want to - although I usually do two, since I go over again to give my hair a nice bump/bend at the ends. With the solia I had to go over my hair about 3-4 times, on a decent, not too hot heat setting.

The only down side to the sedu is that, like others mentioned, you can't press the plates together b/c it gets too hot.
But I've been flat-ironing for years, so I worked around that with no issue. Plus, you can get the hair silky and straight without the added pressure of squeezing the plates.

The solia is a high quality flat-iron, but I'm reppin the Sedu now!

That's my two cents.

Last edited:

skegeesmb

I have had two sedu's. I love them. The first one broke because I kept dropping it, but I had it for almost 3 years before the last drop was the kiss of death. I liked the Jilbere, but after a certain time it would just fall apart literally. I mean I was passing it through my hair and it came apart. Well after 5 irons, I just went and got the Sedu which was like buying the replacements for the Jilbere iron.

GreenD

I bought a solia earlier this year, and I love it!! Below is what I did in July with just 2 passes. I was very impressed and didn't think I'd get it "perm" straight.

Last edited:

Hysi

now i can comment between the two. I did not like my sedu at all. I am transitioning and have roughly 5 in of new growth. the sedu absolutely would not straighten my hair well and to get it just ok, i had to 5 passes and hold it at the roots- unheard of! and it still did not give me the silky, bouncy results that i got from my jilbere from sally's b.s. i was too scurred to use it on the highest setting in fear of burning my hair out and u could smell it all thoughout my livingroom. don't even get me started on reversion. needless to say i was not a happy camper. it was suggested that i needed an iron that has a higher temperature setting. Well woohooo! i now have my SOLIA!!! i have only used it a few times and i can already see the differences. the solia does have higher temp settings and therefore allowed me to use it on a "normal" setting and acheive the results of silky, bouncy hair. no problem getting to the roots and straightens with minimal passes 2-3 depending on the part i am working on as i tend to have different hair types AND i didn't have to use paper thin sections of hair- kudos! no burning smell and so far the reversion rate is good. i have been doing contractor work and getting nitty gritty and sweaty esp in head and it has held up pretty good with all that going on. plates are not too hot and it is easy to make ringlets and curls or flip. i'm lovin it. both irons are good - i only say that b/c so many women have had good results w/ sedu (which is why i purchased it in the first place), just not me, but if you're looking for the versatality or maybe need that extra balance of heat w/o turning it way up- then you can't go wrong. y take the chance of having to ship it back when both irons give basically the same results for most (just not me), but u have the option of using a lower heat setting w/ the solia and if u find the need to use a higher setting u already have it available n ur hands. the only con is the cord. the sedu does have the type of cord u would expect in a professional iron, but so far i haven't had any problems in that area, but based on some reviews i can see the potential for that, HOWEVER the reviews that have stated tangling were pretty old and this is a new model than those and i did read that the cord was made better. no snags or pulling- just silky straight hair. one more thing- takes a bit to get used to the moving plates. i am used to pressing those suckers hard as i can, but i just chilled out and relaxed and i saw that u don't have to use all that pressure (a good thing; ezy on the wrists). the plates seem to balance/ adjust for even heat distribution. BTW i'm
3c/4a and 26F in da kitchen and solia handled her too!:lachen: w/o turning up the volume!

i know it's long, but i hope it can help

Last edited:

Hysi

now i can comment between the two. I did not like my sedu at all. I am transitioning and have roughly 5 in of new growth. the sedu absolutely would not straighten my hair well and to get it just ok, i had to 5 passes- unheard of! and it still did not give me the silky, bouncy results that i got from my jilbere from sally's b.s. i was too scurred to use it on the highest setting in fear of burning my hair out and u could smell it. don't even get me started on reversion. needless to say i was not a happy camper. it was suggested that i needed an iron that has a higher temperature setting. Well woohooo! i now have my SOLIA!!! i have only used it a few times and i can already see the differences. the solia does have higher temp settings and therefore allowed me to use it on a "normal: setting and acheive the results of silky, bouncy hair. no problem getting to the roots and straightens with minimal passes 2-3 depending on the part i am working on as i tend to have different hair types. no burning smell and so far the reversion rate is good. i have been doing contractor work and getting nitty gritty and sweaty esp in head and it has held up pretty good with all that going on. plates are not too hot and it is easy to make ringlets and curls or flip. i'm lovin it. both irons are good - i only say that b/c so many women have had good results (which is why i purchased it in the first place), just not me, but if you're looking for the versatality or maybe need that extra balance of heat w/o turning it way up- then you can't go wrong. y take the chance of having to ship it back when both irons give basically the same results for most (just not me), but u have the option of using a lower heat setting w/ the solia and if u find the need to use a higher setting u already have it available n ur hands. the only con is the cord. the sedu does have the type of cord u would expect in a professional iron, but so far i haven't had any problems in that area, but based on some reviews i can see the potential for that, HOWEVER the reviews that have stated tangling were pretty old and this is a new model than those and i did read that the cord was made better. no snags or pulling- just silky straight hair. one more thing- takes a while to get used to the moving plates., i am used to pressing those suckers hard as i can, but i just chilled out and relaxed i saw that u don't have to use all that pressure. the plates seem to balance/ adjust for even heat distribution. BTW i'm 3c/4a and 26F in da kitchen and solia handled her too!:lachen:

divinerae

*Sigh* I'm going to have 10 flat irons in my house at one time messing with y'all. Already have the maxiglide, a gold n hot ceramic, and a $40 Jibere. I'm considering a CHI, FHI, or a Solia.

aquajoyice

I think i'm more confused about which one to buy now more than ever, LOL! I think i'm taking my search to Youtube to compare other's results with similar hair texture. I know I want to buy soon becuase of the sale :) I just flat ironed my hair with my Sally's flat iron and want to see if it's possible to get better results without breakage the next day.