New To Wig Regimen

julzinha

Hey Ladies,

I'm trying a wig regimen for the first time for the next two months next week. I could really use some help in terms of how to get the best length retention. I typically do a braid extension regimen so I really need help in forming a good regimen.

I plan to get my hair cornrowed into a beehive and keep it cornrowed for 8 weeks. I plan to prepoo with coconut oil and shampoo with Trader Joes Tingle Tea Tree once a week or every 10 days and condition afterwards. I plan to moisturize my hair every other day.

I'm not sure if it would be better to moisturize my hair with the same mix I use for my braids which is Infusium 23, African Pride Olive Miracle Braid Spray and a little aloe vera juice. OR use a mix of Lustrasilk Curl Activator and Taliah Waajid Protective Bodifier Mist, aloe vera juice, and a little neutral protein filler.

Also should I seal my cornrows with oil after I moisturize?

Any advice is appreciated.

Your regimen sounds good. You should definitely seal with oil after you moisturize though. The wig caps sometimes suck the moisture out of my strands so I go heavy on the M&S.

How often do you plan to redo your braids?

Your regimen sounds good. You should definitely seal with oil after you moisturize though. The wig caps sometimes suck the moisture out of my strands so I go heavy on the M&S.

How often do you plan to redo your braids?
Is every 8 weeks fine?

Depending on the type of wig you'll be using, avoid the standard stocking/pantyhose like wig cap. Use a satin one instead, or just get a skull cap or a du rag for underneath the wig. Also, try to use a bit of oil on your hair line before putting on the wig, as through out the day there's going to be a lot of friction, and that's usually the part of our hair that suffers the most damage from wigs.

Do you ladies think a mix of Infusium 23 and African Pride Olive Miracle Braid Spray with a little aloe vera juice would be a good choice as a moisturizer?

Yes. Aloe juice is great for moisture, infusium 23 has protein and the braid spray has oils and humectants. Moisturize daily unless you live in a humid area. It's super humid here so every 2-3 days works best for me.

Back