NEED HELP WITH GLYCERIN/ADVICE!!!!!!!

kkamara5

Im tring to incorporate castor oil, glycerin and aloe vera into my hair moisturizing regimen....Just wondering the types that you ladies use...or the types that have been known to yield positive results...yesterday @ Walmart I saw the hollywood Castor oil, but I wasnt sure if it was the right one...I purchased it any ways...I also saw the aloe vera juice..as well as the aloe vera oil used as a laxative..however I did not purchase them because I already ordered FOTE 100% Aloe Vera Gel...I'm not sure if I needed the gel, the oil, or the juice...As far as the glycerin is concerned...i dont know which one to get or where to get it from....So if someone can inform me on where I can purchase glycerin and which brand or type...i would really appreciate the info....THANX

tinkat

I brought mine from nutritiongeeks.com. The brand is called NOW Personal Care...100% Pure. I learned from another thread to be careful about buying certain brands from walmart or whatever bc it may not be pure (it may contain petroleum or whatever). Its best to get it @ like a health store.

Filmatic

If you are at Walmart they sell both castor oil and glycerin in the pharmacy section. The castor oil is by the laxatives and the glycerin is at the bottom of the skin section. They aren't large bottle, but they can start you out. I use the aloe vera gel from walmart too, but am thinking of ordering offline.

DaRealist

I have pure vegetable glycerin from vitacost.com
They also have a glycerin that is derived from coconut.

thinkpinkprincess

personally, I've had much better results usung the aloe juice than I did the aloe gel. It is much easier to blend with other ingredients and it left my hair feeling alot more smooth, soft, and moisturized. HTH

donewit-it

Hey,

I don't remember you responding to me when I asked you if you were natural or not. I'm gonna assume you are based on the product information you are requesting.....

My hair loves all the three products, glycerin, aloe vera gel and castor oil. My only suggestion for the moment:grin:, is to be careful in the heat with straight glycerin. It made my hair sticky icky. At night though, when the air is cool, my hair felt lovely.

I don't feel like explainging the humectant thingy, you can research that on your own to get a full understanding.

RedVelvet310

personally, I've had much better results usung the aloe juice than I did the aloe gel. It is much easier to blend with other ingredients and it left my hair feeling alot more smooth, soft, and moisturized. HTH

What section of walmart did you find the glycerin... I've been looking for glycerin EVERY WHERE

Str8~Curly

You can also find glycerin in craft stores like Michaels and Jo Annes in the cake making and soap making sections.

thinkpinkprincess

What section of walmart did you find the glycerin... I've been looking for glycerin EVERY WHERE

oops, I'm sorry, I meant Target :blush: but I had to go to the pharmacy section and ask someone at the counter. Chances are, if you go to the Walmart Pharmacy and ask at the counter they will be able to give you some :yep: HTH

kkamara5

Hey,

I don't remember you responding to me when I asked you if you were natural or not. I'm gonna assume you are based on the product information you are requesting.....

My hair loves all the three products, glycerin, aloe vera gel and castor oil. My only suggestion for the moment:grin:, is to be careful in the heat with straight glycerin. It made my hair sticky icky. At night though, when the air is cool, my hair felt lovely.

I don't feel like explainging the humectant thingy, you can research that on your own to get a full understanding.

Yea Im a natural..I thought I mentioned that..oh well...anywho...quick question....where do you get your aloe vera gel and castor oil from??? And which brands...

naturalgurl

I have pure vegetable glycerin from vitacost.com
They also have a glycerin that is derived from coconut.

Shut up! I have got to see this!!!!

I get my aloe from an international store called Fiesta and I use the gel. Looking for an actual plant now. The glycerin I found at the BSS. It was a dusty bottle on a far away dusty shelf. I had to ask the clerk if they sold it. Are you the one who PM'ed me on BHM? This person asked me the for the exact same stuff.

ETA~Oh yeah castor oil. I got mine at Fiesta as well. I've seen it at Wal-Mart, but like a previous poster said, it's in small bottles. I need the industrial sized ones, I'm a hoarder.

BeautifulRoots

Hey,

YES!!! your are telling the TRUTH!!. lol. In humidity, it makes my hair very sticky feeling...but it feels very soft, yet very sticky...and doesnt hold a style well.

Question though, has anyone ever used aloe vera juice by itself? What were the results? I am thinking of just putting on aloe juice and sealing with castor oil...good or bad idea?

naturalgurl

YES!!! your are telling the TRUTH!!. lol. In humidity, it makes my hair very sticky feeling...but it feels very soft, yet very sticky...and doesnt hold a style well.

Question though, has anyone ever used aloe vera juice by itself? What were the results? I am thinking of just putting on aloe juice and sealing with castor oil...good or bad idea?[/quote]

The juice is aloe with citric acid added(think of it as aloe with orange juice). So it's up to you. I use the gel, I save the acid stuff for days when I want to naturally relax the pattern of my tresses.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I found my glycerin in the black haircare section of my local grocery store. It was Africare brand, 8.5 oz with a deep yellow label with green writing.

Fine 4s

Hey,

Ditto on the glycerin. I don't think it's meant for fully dry hair.