Hair Under Wig Maintenance

jamaicalovely

Hi Ladies,

I am trying to change my hair under the wig maintenance. I noticed my hair was thinning, breaking and getting massive splits and knots. I've tried everything, increased moisture, protein treatments, oil mix, etc. I recently tried the Nutress protein treatment and Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner <---:lick:
I got a trim a few weeks ago and removed approx 3 inches of hair. :sad:

Also, I noticed my nape seriously balding. I've been applying moisture creams, Megatek, sulphur oil mix and castor oil to help the hair fill back in. I think the balding was because of tight braiding. Recently, I stopped braiding with "braid hair" under the wigs, using the wig combs, and braiding the hair in the nape area. My nape have not improved so I'm suspecting it's the nylon wig cap. Do any of you ladies have recommendations for satin wig caps?

If there are other hair under wig maintenance tips, please share. If my hair continues on this path, I'm going back to weaves for protective styling where I did not experience these issues.

Here's my regimen if you're curious:
Regimen while under wig:
-shampoo 2x month
-DC 1x a week
- moisturize and seal 2x daily
- apply castor oil 2x per day on edges/nape
- alternate megatek or claudie's hair elixir every other day and one day of rest
- do GHE method every night
- apply wig daily with only two hair pins in the front (no pins no combs in the nape)
- rebraid every 3-4 weeks

FYI - hair vitamins - multi vitamin, biotin, fish oil, flaxseed oil

hair4romheaven

The wig or scarf your using is possibly rubbing your nape out. Can you position the back of the wig above your nape? If the wig has length it will cover the exposure.

chavascandy

I am a dedicated wig wear. I wear wigs 80% out of the year and I have noticed that by doing so I retain a lot of length and achieve a lot of growth. In the past I used to cornrow my hair into about 6 braids. As a result I ended up with spilt ends and bad breakage.
After experiencing this I made it my mission to find a better way to maintain and improve my hairs health while wearing wigs. Not until recently I noticed that the two ponytail method worked and prevent excessive breakage. Basically, after washing and deep conditioning my hair I part my hair into two sections down the middle. After doing this I apply a leave-in conditioner and ORS Olive Oil Moisturizing Lotion followed by an application of Castor Oil. I then gather the two sections into metal clasp-free ponytail holders. After doing this I braid the remainder of the hair until I reach ½ an inch towards the end of the hair. As the last step I seal the ends of my hair with castor oil and I put a rubber band ½ inch before the ends to secure the braid. I then wrap the braids in opposite directions around the perimeter of my head (from ear to ear) and secure with a bob pin.
I finish by placing a regular wig cap on my head to secure the remainder of my hair in place. The key to this method is moisture, moisture, and extra moisture. Take extra care and make sure that you moisturize and seal your hair and end every day. You don’t have to take down your braids and ponytail to do so, just oil the crown of your head, the nape, hairline, ends, and braids. Try this and see if it works.

Aicer

Yes I noticed that nylon wig caps do dry my hair out too. So I put a silk scarf on first then the wig cap. If the scarf doesn't fit under the wig then I cut out a circular piece of silk fabric that fits on top of my head then put on the cap. I don't cut up a good silk scarf though, I buy silk shirts from goodwill and use those.

jamaicalovely

Yes I noticed that nylon wig caps do dry my hair out too. So I put a silk scarf on first then the wig cap. If the scarf doesn't fit under the wig then I cut out a circular piece of silk fabric that fits on top of my head then put on the cap. I don't cut up a good silk scarf though, I buy silk shirts from goodwill and use those.
I may try this!

I am a dedicated wig wear. I wear wigs 80% out of the year and I have noticed that by doing so I retain a lot of length and achieve a lot of growth. In the past I used to cornrow my hair into about 6 braids. As a result I ended up with spilt ends and bad breakage.
After experiencing this I made it my mission to find a better way to maintain and improve my hairs health while wearing wigs. Not until recently I noticed that the two ponytail method worked and prevent excessive breakage. Basically, after washing and deep conditioning my hair I part my hair into two sections down the middle. After doing this I apply a leave-in conditioner and ORS Olive Oil Moisturizing Lotion followed by an application of Castor Oil. I then gather the two sections into metal clasp-free ponytail holders. After doing this I braid the remainder of the hair until I reach ½ an inch towards the end of the hair. As the last step I seal the ends of my hair with castor oil and I put a rubber band ½ inch before the ends to secure the braid. I then wrap the braids in opposite directions around the perimeter of my head (from ear to ear) and secure with a bob pin.
I finish by placing a regular wig cap on my head to secure the remainder of my hair in place. The key to this method is moisture, moisture, and extra moisture. Take extra care and make sure that you moisturize and seal your hair and end every day. You don’t have to take down your braids and ponytail to do so, just oil the crown of your head, the nape, hairline, ends, and braids. Try this and see if it works.

I don't think the ponytail thing will work for me since I wear straight wigs mostly. But I am certainly using JBCO on my crown religiously now. :yep:

The wig or scarf your using is possibly rubbing your nape out. Can you position the back of the wig above your nape? If the wig has length it will cover the exposure.
Good idea. I will try this as well.

I appreciate the advice, ladies. I love wearing wigs now and would love to continue. If my nape does not get back in shape, back to weaves I go.:drunk: