New Rollers: My Curl Squad

Which rollers have given you the best rollersets?

• Total voters

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Has anyone tried these new rollers yet? Would you try them? Our people are so creative!
I am really curious about these as I hate how the sponge rollers catch my hair and the satin strip always eventually comes loose.

I feel like I've been on the lookout for the perfect curler/roller for my hair and lifestyle. If I ever found it I think I could be a roller-setting pro.
I've tried standard magnetic rollers, knockoff curlformers, sponge rollers, and satin rollers. All are haphazard tools in my toolbox.

Ladies what kind of rollers have you had the most success with?

frizzy

I do want to try these, but I won't until I get some usage out of the various types of rollers I already have. If I hadn't gone wild and bought a whole Curlformer kit (which I don't too much care for) I would be on it!

I wish these rollers came in black.

There was a thread on these comfortable rollers not too long ago, I think it got quite a few responses.

faithVA

I saw these but wondering how long it would take my hair to dry. I like curlformers on wet hair and flexi rods on dry hair. Curlformers dry faster and straighten my roots. I can sleep in flexi rods but I can't get my roots straight and it takes forever for my hair to dry.

These look like it wouldn't straighten my roots and they look like it would take forever to dry which would require my sleeping in them. They look like they might be easy to sleep in. She also looks like she doesn't use that many.

I'm going to have to wait for reviews because I already have too many roller types.

AgeinATL

I would need WAY too many of them so they wouldn't be very cost effective. Like @faithVA pointed out, I feel like it would take a while to dry since the hair isn't exposed.

I have every roller known to mankind (all the ones listed above + some) and my favorites are French bouffant rollers and curlformers.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Where did you get them?
I have no idea lol. They've been around for a long time. There's no original packaging so I really had to study them to figure out what in the world they were lmao. I think my mom may have got them from a yard sale or something she had in her stash from when she was young. I've never even used them but I've been meaning to try them out for the ends of braids.

Last edited:

faithVA

I have no idea lol. They've been around for a long time. There's no original packaging so I really had to study them to figure out what in the world they were lmao. I think my mom may have got them from a yard sale or something she had in her stash from when she was young. I've never even used them but I've been meaning to try them out for the ends of braids.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm probably closer to your moms age. I remember these from when I was young. I don't remember loving them then. Maybe I can find a small pack in the bss and try it again. It would be nice fore a curly style so it's worth a shot. It might be better than doing perm rods.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
My knockoff curlformers were great for about a year. I kept thinking they would get easier to install, take less time and come out better but after a year of use, my learning curve didn't improve. At all!:cry3:
I was also wishing they came in black, for those days idgaf and will boldly go outside with rollers in my hair but still call myself being discreet. Lol

Really! I called myself trying to find a thread on these and came up empty handed. Oops :giggle:

I do want to try these, but I won't until I get some usage out of the various types of rollers I already have. If I hadn't gone wild and bought a whole Curlformer kit (which I don't too much care for) I would be on it!

I wish these rollers came in black.

There was a thread on these comfortable rollers not too long ago, I think it got quite a few responses.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I could've written this! All of my issues exactly.
Only I would be dedicated enough to sleep in al manner of uncomfortable roller, including curlformers.
Idk if it is a density issue, a bad hair to roller ratio, or poor technique, but almost without fail I still have some damp spots no matter what roller or how long I leave it in before undoing.:perplexed:

From the video it seems her hair is already stretched and more dry than damp. I never get decent results from anything but wet hair. Le sigh

I saw these but wondering how long it would take my hair to dry. I like curlformers on wet hair and flexi rods on dry hair. Curlformers dry faster and straighten my roots. I can sleep in flexi rods but I can't get my roots straight and it takes forever for my hair to dry.

These look like it wouldn't straighten my roots and they look like it would take forever to dry which would require my sleeping in them. They look like they might be easy to sleep in. She also looks like she doesn't use that many.

I'm going to have to wait for reviews because I already have too many roller types.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
You feel like you would need too many even with the XL size?
I've never tried French bouffant rollers (or wire mesh ones) on myself. They seem pretty intimidating. I may have to watch a few tutorials and see if I can pump myself up enough to try.

I would need WAY too many of them so they wouldn't be very cost effective. Like @faithVA pointed out, I feel like it would take a while to dry since the hair isn't exposed.

I have every roller known to mankind (all the ones listed above + some) and my favorites are French bouffant rollers and curlformers.

AgeinATL

You feel like you would need too many even with the XL size?
I've never tried French bouffant rollers (or wire mesh ones) on myself. They seem pretty intimidating. I may have to watch a few tutorials and see if I can pump myself up enough to try.

They don't look like they can hold much hair, even the XL size. My hair is dense, so I am sure that I would need quite a few. Looks like they hold about as much hair as a curlformer and I use 70 curlformers.

French rollers do look scary but they are really easy to use! They are perfect for getting the right amount of tension for natural hair. Be sure to pop on over to the Setting for Success 2017 thread for some helpful tips!

AgeinATL

So I was watching a YouTuber offer tips on how to minimize SSKs and she suggested the curl squad rollers because, unlike satin lined rollers, they won't absorb product. I liked the idea but I STILL was NOT about to pay that price for so few. Soooo, I found some on ebay (search 'rubber hair rollers'). I paid $7.00 for 30 rollers WITH free shipping. I plan on using them to stretch my ends when I do my twists.

FYI @faithVA, @Pokahontas, and @kxlot79 if you ladies were still looking for some.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
So I was watching a YouTuber offer tips on how to minimize SSKs and she suggested the curl squad rollers because, unlike satin lined rollers, they won't absorb product. I liked the idea but I STILL was NOT about to pay that price for so few. Soooo, I found some on ebay (search 'rubber hair rollers'). I paid $7.00 for 30 rollers WITH free shipping. I plan on using them to stretch my ends when I do my twists.

FYI @faithVA, @Pokahontas, and @kxlot79 if you ladies were still looking for some.
Thank you for the tip, regarding eb@y! Just ordered two packs, :yep: