Never Again!! (vent)

Whimsy

I'm never straightening my hair again, that's it.

OK

I'm lying, I'll straighten it at home with my maxi once in a blue if I need to do it for a shoot or something....but otherwise NEVER AGAIN!!!

I HAVE SERIOUS HEAT DAMAGE!!!!! :wallbash:

After being so careful everything gets effed up from one bloody salon visit.

I washed my hair for the first time since I went to the salon for my color touch up and trim (2 weeks ago) I come out and I see the bottom half of the front bit of my hair completely straight!! and the bottom half of the other side is white girl wavy.

I'm upset cuz I realize this must be from my salon visit when my stylist used the hot comb to straighten me out before trimming.... ::SIGH::

A wash n go looked a wreck, it looks like i'm transitioning or something!! (i'll post pix on my blog tonite) S.O. helped me search for other straight or loosely curled pieces but it seems the front is where the damage mainly is.

I'm just so upset. :wallbash::wallbash:

Thanks for letting me vent.

LadyPaniolo

:bighug: I'm sorry this happened to you. I think your idea of DIY straightening is a good one. I have personally learned that contact w/stylists= damage for me.

hair4romheaven

I'M MAD THIS HAPPENED TO YOU!!! When I was reading all I kept saying is THOSE DARN STYLIST!!! 1 visit is all it takes!!! Your hair is still beautiful.

ladylibra_30

Aw, that's too bad. It's so upsetting that one, just one, mishap can trump hard work. Do you know how to fix/treat heat damage besides cutting it out?

Aviah

I'm sorry to hear this. Sometimes straight hair takes a while to revert, could this be the case with you? If not I'm sure you know how to baby it so there's no breakage. Is this the first time the stylist used a hot comb? Any heat protectant?

Sistaslick

Hey whimsy :wave:

I was about to say-- where our pictures! You know we need to visualize :lol:

I know its frustrating, girl but you'll be back before ya know it! :yep:

Lynnerie

Sorry to hear this Whimsy. Maybe you can try a protein treatment then moisture to see if that will help. I dont understand why a stylist would even feel the need to use a hot comb on your hair. A flat iron or roller set would have done the job. They really have no clue of what their doing.

BlackMasterPiece

Aww it'll be okay Whimsy.....you have to be really careful with straightening especially when you have a looser curl like you do....you can lose your curl definition very easily. If you insist on going to stylists then you have to start standing up for yourself more with them and requesting that the most you get is a rollerset and if necessary a flat iron with a ceramic iron to follow it up....considering your texture you could get a sleek look without the damage with this method.

The idea that a stylist would use a hot comb on someone with your texture is scandalous to me:nono:

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
Sorry to hear this Whimsy. Maybe you can try a protein treatment then moisture to see if that will help. I dont understand why a stylist would even feel the need to use a hot comb on your hair. A flat iron or roller set would have done the job. They really have no clue of what their doing.

ITA and sorry to hear about this. You don't need to use a blowdryer+flatiron and/or pressing comb to get your hair straight. Straight overkill. I have never experienced heat damage, so I don't feel I can advise you, but you will bounce back regardless. And keep people who don't know what they're doing with heat tools out of your pretty hair!

Whimsy

Thanks ladies,
As for the stylist: he usually uses the hot comb just at this one unruly area, one pass and that's it, for some reason he used it on more of the front this time, still just one pass, so, i didn't think anything of it.... Also because i've been going to him since i was a mini-whimsy and he takes good care of my hair, i trust him completely. I think it was just the comb was too hot maybe? he was careless for just enough time to fluck my hair up. GRRRRR
And I only go to him like 4x a year. Now I'll just have him do my color touch up and gimme a curly roller set and be out... i'll go somewhere else for my trims, a place that trims without straightening out the curl first. ::sigh::
Sorry for being so negative girls, it's just really upsetting. And I feel like such a fraud now cuz I have a yt channel trying to help people grow healthy natural hair and I'm a heat damaged mo fo!! I don't trust YTers whose hair looks a hot mess, who would? ya know. Anyway, when i get home tonite i'll put some pix up or a yt up or something to show the extent of the damage.

Insert wallbash smiley like 500 times .....

talk to you later ladies....and thanks for being so nice and supportive.

PS i'll definitely be babying this hair EXTRA much these days. Bye Bye straight haired winter plans.

nnmiles

This is why I don't go to stylists.... if I damage my hair that's one thing...but if I pay someone who went to beauty school and they damage my hair that's so not cool. This happened to me all through high school, my hair also turned a burnt brown color....now I only trust my own hands in my hair... Sorry girl...

Lola Laughs

I'm so sorry whimsy :perplexed. Perhaps your hair will revert after a couple of washes. Even though the comb was very hot, and you have a looser curl, permanent heat damage usually occurs over time with consistent heat application, right? If it is truly temporary, amla oil may help it snap back.

Janet'

I hate that this happened to you...but please don't get too down on yourself...I would still trust you in regards to healthy hair...Who knows, after a couple of washes, things might just be back to normal. :yep:

JFK

RusticBeauty on YT has a video of her having heat damaged hair and what she did to bring her natural curl pattern. She explains it in the video. You may want to check it out. I hope it helps.

BeautifulFlower

I am soo sorry to hear about this. It will grow out in no time.

This is just another reinforcement of way I am so scared to let a stylist near my hair. They use too much heat. I'll stick to my professional weaves and leave the heat to my own hands.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
awww, im sorry to hear that.

i have not went to a stylist since i was 10 years old to get braids. i never felt the need to have a stylist. all they do is F everything you worked for up. if i ever when to a stylist (which i seriouly dout will ever happend as long as i live) i will be giving her the EYE the whole time and will have some brass knuckles in my purse.

Whimsy

I'm so sorry whimsy :perplexed. Perhaps your hair will revert after a couple of washes. Even though the comb was very hot, and you have a looser curl, permanent heat damage usually occurs over time with consistent heat application, right? If it is truly temporary, amla oil may help it snap back.

That is definitely the case sometimes.

In my case though, I went into the place with coily curls in the front, and I left the place with straight patches where curls used to be. No other heat was used between that salon visit and this washing. I'm hoping this is temporary, and I'll be getting some amla oil to see what's up.

darlingdiva

Hey, Whimsy!!!

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. You will recover, though!!! You could pamper your hair w/ extra protein and/or moisture and see what happens. Many ladies have regained their coils that way.

Don't say that you'll never straighten your hair again. It always turns out great when YOU do it. Just don't let him or anyone other than YOU do it again.

You shouldn't feel like a fraud on Youtube b/c of this. Unfortunately, setbacks happen sometimes. Your subscribers and viewers won't think any less of you because you've had a setback (I know that I won't:yep:).

You are not alone. DPrincess28 is a Youtube subscriber and a former (maybe current?) member of LHCF who also encountered a setback b/c of heat damage. She recovered and so will you.

exoticmommie

I'm sorry this happened to you, heat is my ultimate nemesis as well, especially the blow dryer. If you ever do it again, you should certainly do it yourself, you know how much your hair can take.

:bighug:

a_shoe_6307

I am so sorry this happened. This happened to me last year when a stylist decided to put the blow dryer on H...L as my SO would say. That was the only time I had went to the salon for a blow out last year and I was so made at myself because of it. Just baby that hair and it will bounce back.

BTW you hair is still absolutely stunning!!!

ResultsMayVary

Oh no Whimsy .. :nono: .. I'm so sorry this happened to you.
Hopefully some DC's, protein treatments, and a little TLC will give your hair a speedy recovery!
and you're so not a fraud, everyone has their share of bumps on their road, you just learn from them .. you've probably help save a million other people who follow your journey

Vonnieluvs08

Sorry to hear this. I know you will be able to get back on track. And thank you for sharing because your experience and the strength to let others know will help someone else.

Fine 4s

Whimsy, I'm so sorry to hear this. I can only imagine how you might feel.

Check out RusticBeauty's YT, try protein treatments and keep your fingers crossed.

As you know, I went to the salon last week (last year and this year) and got my hair blow dried and then trimmed. That was straight enough and my hair is most certainly NOT silky straight, by choice.

I wouldn't be afraid of the blow dryer at all especially if it's not concentrated on one section. If you do a protein treatment before & after the straightening process and apply heat protectant, you should be all set. The texture of my blow dried hair is krinkly and so I don't suspect heat damage. Mwedzi's hair is another good example of this. The question is how high di the stylist set the blow dryer setting to and how long did s/he keep in on one section?

Some posters seem to believe that a flat iron is better than a hot comb? I thought it was the opposite. Please explain....

You'll never be a fraud on YT. In fact, I wouldn't hide it at all, it could be very instructive and since I'm sure you'll recover, this could be a source of inspiration to many.

Best of luck Whimsy.

Whimsy

Whimsy, I'm so sorry to hear this. I can only imagine how you might feel.

Check out RusticBeauty's YT, try protein treatments and keep your fingers crossed.

As you know, I went to the salon last week (last year and this year) and got my hair blow dried and then trimmed. That was straight enough and my hair is most certainly NOT silky straight, by choice.

I wouldn't be afraid of the blow dryer at all especially if it's not concentrated on one section. If you do a protein treatment before & after the straightening process and apply heat protectant, you should be all set. The texture of my blow dried hair is krinkly and so I don't suspect heat damage. Mwedzi's hair is another good example of this. The question is how high di the stylist set the blow dryer setting to and how long did s/he keep in on one section?

Some posters seem to believe that a flat iron is better than a hot comb? I thought it was the opposite. Please explain....

You'll never be a fraud on YT. In fact, I wouldn't hide it at all, it could be very instructive and since I'm sure you'll recover, this could be a source of inspiration to many.

Best of luck Whimsy.

Thanks for this.
The blowdrier isn't really the issue. He doesn't really blowdry my hair. Just a little, but with no concentration, just kinda all over to ensure it's dry before he flatirons. He flatirons in one pass and my hair gets silky straight from it. theres a bit in the front that he always has to use the hot comb on (one pass again) that just for some reason doesn't respond properly to the flat iron, but this time I guess it was too hot.

I'm not sure what's better hot iron or flat comb, I prefer a flat iron because that's what I have always used and am comfortable with.

I barely use blowdriers so I can't speak on them. Plus when I do use them, i just kinda dry all over with no concentration also...

I definitely wont be hiding this. Shoot I wouldn't have posted here then! lol
I'll make a vid soon and show my viewers, hopefully i'll be able to show them how it reverted, otherwise I'll just show how I baby and care for it until I slowly cut it away...