Neck length ladies... come on in!

**Jade**

Let's brainstorm some protective styles b/c we pretty much can't do the bunning anyone have anything else?

I'm having issues b/c most of the protective styles are for longer hair other than braids, weaves, wigs, etc....

I'm also transitioning/ stretching (not sure which yet) so it makes things even more difficult.

India*32

For me to look cute, I've added a bang. In addition, I part of various sides with a natural twists with a clip. If its really tight, I'll do the one cornbraid. Hey, I'm a sister and there mommas hair or sisters hair looks just like mine, so brothers chill. And please please shape up those kitchens. Eventually, our hair will grow out and then we can bun, bun, bun. I hope this helps. :)

Towana

**Jade**

I feel you! My pony tail with ends tuck under looks sooo...tacky

Yeah my pony is not cute... and the sides stick out not cute at all... i can't even fix it with a fake pony cause there is no synthetic/ natural match for my hair in any BSS near me

haha i know exactly what you mean i tried the bunning thing but it just aint working.

im considering kinky twists atm what do you think

and i too dont know weather to keep stretching or transition im torn!
only thing with transitioning is i wouldnt big chop for years lol

**Jade**

I'm thinking that I might do 2 more consecutive sessions of braids. I figure by then I'll have a pretty decent pony and will be able to protective style better.... this length is just not fun to me with all the new growth and relaxed ends that I have... I'm curly and bone straight on the ends like I've said before my curly fro looks broke so... I think I'm going back under LOL

haha im 9 weeks post and have about an inch and a bit of NG im managing okay. i really want to see my natural curl pattern so if anything il strech at least 12 weeks but im thinking of the kinky twists during the holidays just gotta find a trustworthy stylist.

whats your goal for this time next year?
for me its APL but i think im bein way too opitimistic seein as im only NL now lol unless i can grow about 8 inches in a year

**Jade**

haha im 9 weeks post and have about an inch and a bit of NG im managing okay. i really want to see my natural curl pattern so if anything il strech at least 12 weeks but im thinking of the kinky twists during the holidays just gotta find a trustworthy stylist.

whats your goal for this time next year?
for me its APL but i think im bein way too opitimistic seein as im only NL now lol unless i can grow about 8 inches in a year

I'm hoping to be APL or bra strap length this time next year... I think it's ambitious but doable... my hair as always grown pretty fast but I never took care of it before just relaxed the heck out of it and broke off all my ends... so I figure if I keep it moist, DC and co-wash like I'm supposed to i shouldn't have any problems.. not to mention the supplements that I just started.

My best friend does my braids so I'm fortunate that I don't have to "find" anyone to do those but I do need to find a stylist if I want to go back to relaxing or texlax I refuse to do it myself anymore b/c I always over process in some areas and under in others... not a good look and my hair ALWAYS breaks off.

This is a long post but I think that i have decided to do 2 more sessions of braids and then relax/texlax... I think by that time i should almost be 12 months post

I'm hoping to be APL or bra strap length this time next year... I think it's ambitious but doable... my hair as always grown pretty fast but I never took care of it before just relaxed the heck out of it and broke off all my ends... so I figure if I keep it moist, DC and co-wash like I'm supposed to i shouldn't have any problems.. not to mention the supplements that I just started.

My best friend does my braids so I'm fortunate that I don't have to "find" anyone to do those but I do need to find a stylist if I want to go back to relaxing or texlax I refuse to do it myself anymore b/c I always over process in some areas and under in others... not a good look and my hair ALWAYS breaks off.

This is a long post but I think that i have decided to do 2 more sessions of braids and then relax/texlax... I think by that time i should almost be 12 months post

aww your lucky! are you in the states? and how many weeks post are you? ni think il do kinky twist til my first year of uni is up (june) hopefull grow about 4 inches in 6 months if i do the right things like you said.

i might start texlaxing if i cant decide to keep strecting or transition and go natural!

what is your regimen?

wish4length

I wear my hair up in a clip and a headband around it(one that goes all the way around the head)

Last edited:

**Jade**

aww your lucky! are you in the states? and how many weeks post are you? ni think il do kinky twist til my first year of uni is up (june) hopefull grow about 4 inches in 6 months if i do the right things like you said.

i might start texlaxing if i cant decide to keep strecting or transition and go natural!

what is your regimen?

I'm in good ole VA. I don't know how many weeks I am but I got the first set of braids in late June and took out the second set in November and I know that I hadn't relaxed since late May so.... I don't know that many:grin: i just say it's been 6 months b/c I'm too lazy to count LOL

I co/wash (HE long if I'm wearing it straight and totally twisted if I'm attempting the curly fro) twice a week and follow the aphogee 2min and DC once a week,pre-poo with Hot Six Oil. and poo once a month. My leave in is a mixture of distilled h2o, HE conditioner, glycerin and olive oil, i oil my scalp nightly with carrot oil. I also use 14 n1 (which I need to buy stock in)

I forgot that i'm taking Biotin, MSM, silica, evening primrose, flaxseed, and some more stuff that i can't remember right now LOL I'm a mess today

HeavenlySkies

I decided that having my hair parted down the middle with two ponytails is going to work for me during the transition...I'm going to keep it covered anyway but this "style" makes it easier to take care of my hair while its in sections.

I put all of my stuff on it like this...

then put my doorag over it and repeat later but this is how it is at the end of the day when I take it off...

India*32

Moustacy, At least you have some nice kitchens. If the hair has so much new growth, I will smooth it out by getting a relaxer. Then more protective styling. You'll have more growth by then and a nice look. However, if you wait too long the hair will be so tangled it will break due to two types of texture and I'm sure it won't look that hot either. So, gradually, stretch your touch ups without looking like a "Hot Mess." Happy Hair Growing. I'm on my way to get my touch up eight weeks, which is great for me. I'm a six week touch up gal, but its the holidays and I will look Fab while growing my hair out. Happy Holidays. LHCF Chicas :)

Last edited:

HeavenlySkies

Moustacy, At least you have some nice kitchens. If the hair has so much new growth, I will smooth it out by getting a relaxer. Then more protective styling. You'll have more growth by then and a nice look. However, if you wait too long the hair will be so tangled it will break due to two types of texture and I'm sure it won't look that hot either. So, gradually, stretch your touch ups without looking like a "Hot Mess." Happy Hair Growing. I'm on my way to get my touch up eight weeks, which is great for me. I'm a six week touch up gal, but its the holidays and I will look Fab while growing my hair out. Happy Holidays. LHCF Chicas :)

Oh yeah that part in the back is where I cut the perm off lol but I'll do the big chop later next year but since I'm not showing my hair I have no problem keeping it looking like that. If I want the whole straight look I'd just flat iron.​

AtlantaJJ

I'm totally cheating :look: I did a big chop and I'm hiding my hair until I can make a ponytail. I workout every day and don't have time to style my hair every day.

When I can wear a bun I'll do that. In the mean time, it's lace fronts for me! It's so easy and I am retaining all of my growth :up:

jazzyto

I bought one of those hair scrunchies (sallys has them and the bbs) after you put your hair in a pony then you put the hair scrunchie on and it makes your bun look fuller.

ShiShiPooPoo

I am a little past shoulder but the thing that got me through this stage was phony ponies.:yep:

...and it got me there QUICK too...

LaidBak

I have this same problem. I can't do braids because my edges are so thin. The scrunchie/ponytail thing I was doing is tearing out my hair. So I've resorted to French twists and half wigs.

jazzzmoods

Thanks for this thread! I figured I just had to grow it out long enough for me to start bunning.

I was just sitting here asking my Mom if she thought she could two strand twist my hair. She is still laughing at me because I hated it as a child but here I am asking her to do it now. But with my hair relaxed we don't think it will stay in.

Unfortunately I am one of those people who does not like to add extentions or wear wigs so I need to find a solution. When my hair is freshly relaxed I can airdry and scrunch for nice curls, but with the new growth I have, I cannot even think about that.

Thanks!!!

moonglowdiva

I braid one plait down the middle and tie it down flat. I normally wear a very stylish wig so I'm only manipulating on wash days. BTW: I will be 11 weeks post on Friday. I'm having no problems by the grace of God.

ckn

Let's brainstorm some protective styles b/c we pretty much can't do the bunning anyone have anything else?

I'm having issues b/c most of the protective styles are for longer hair other than braids, weaves, wigs, etc....

I'm also transitioning/ stretching (not sure which yet) so it makes things even more difficult.

Good post - I've been dealing with this issue too but thought I was the only one!!! I plan on doing french braids (I know...old school) when I'm being lazy, but I'm 7 weeks post and doing my 1st stretch. I planned on working with the flexirods as my ng comes in since theres no point in trying to make it straight. Kind of a big curly bob (or fro:ohwell:) with head bands. We'll see how it goes!

LOL!!! If I tuck my pony tail in all you'll see is the holder!!!!!:lachen:

ckn

Thanks for this thread! I figured I just had to grow it out long enough for me to start bunning.

I was just sitting here asking my Mom if she thought she could two strand twist my hair. She is still laughing at me because I hated it as a child but here I am asking her to do it now. But with my hair relaxed we don't think it will stay in.

Unfortunately I am one of those people who does not like to add extentions or wear wigs so I need to find a solution. When my hair is freshly relaxed I can airdry and scrunch for nice curls, but with the new growth I have, I cannot even think about that.

Thanks!!!

ITA! I am just trying to deal with my own hair by myself...if I try to add doing my own weave/wigs/phony ponies to the mix I'll be chasing my hair down the street!!!:perplexed

haha this thread is great!
im aiming for APL this tyime next year :pray:

i want to get a sew in weave soon but im 10 weeks post so i dont know weather to relax then put it in or put it in without relaxing?!?! :confused:

by the way isit me or does neone else love feeling the curl pattern when they have NG i could sit here all day just stroking them lol :sad:<< I Know!

Platinum

haha i know exactly what you mean i tried the bunning thing but it just aint working.

im considering kinky twists atm what do you think

and i too dont know weather to keep stretching or transition im torn!
only thing with transitioning is i wouldnt big chop for years lol

Kinky twists are nice. I love them. I was hoping to be SL now.:wallbash:
I've been wearing phony ponies as a PS until I can get my hair long enough to do buns.:drunk:

complexsimplicity

i want to get a sew in weave soon but im 10 weeks post so i dont know weather to relax then put it in or put it in without relaxing?!?! :confused:

by the way isit me or does neone else love feeling the curl pattern when they have NG i could sit here all day just stroking them lol :sad:<< I Know!

don't relax your hair before you put in the sew in. freshly relaxed hair is a no no for a sew in. just go ahead and get the sew in beforehand. if you must absolutely relax now, wait a minimum of 2 weeks. Me personally I wouldn't get one in until I was at least 6. I'm the same way girl when it comes to feeling my new growth!!! It feels so good and wavy!! I seriously have hand in hair syndrome. That's y I can't wait to get my lacefront wig. That will definitely keep my hands out of my head. :yep:

beans4reezy

You are not alone! I have resorted to ponytails so that I can keep my hands out of my NG. Its like a compulsion for me to touch it!!

ghanja

Im right at shoulder length now stretched, I think I hit shoulder length last month or something. I plan on doing something around Christmas to do my one year comparison since that is when I BC'd but our laptop with our webcam broke so who knows.

As far as protecting Im keeping my hair in 2 strand twists. I was considering doing my own kinky twists but It took my 10 hrs to do these by myself so I could easily see 20hrs for kinky twists...unless I do fat twists:rolleyes: The 2 strand twists were helpful cause its way too cold for WnG's but now Im seriously considering keeping them twisted up for even longer. Perhaps till my bday in March. My weakest hair area is my side edges right above the ear and the twists are definately helping that area fill out. Also its extremely low- manip so thats helpful. I have some areas that have already grown 6 inches, so I should reach 7 inches with those strands by my first year where as my sides are barely 4 inches:wallbash: I also cut about 2 inches off the top a few months ago because the top was growing too fast and the sides not fast enough so it looked akward. Now I wish I didnt...but what do you do