NEW protective hairstyles????

Precious_P

I have seen so many fotki's of protective styles that look good that I know I would be willing to wear on a regular basis. The only problem is my medium length hair has so many layers that many of these styles will not work for me right now (like bunning). I'm looking for suggestions from all of you protective style loving ladies!!

I all ready wear braid/twist outs. I'm tired of weaves and phoney ponies. I want to avoid braids for now. I know that cuts out a lot of the most popular protective styles but I need something different so I can get past this length that I'm stuck at. Suggestions? Please!! Anyone!!!!

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
How about semi-protective styles like a rollerset or a fauxhawk?

Maybe smooth your hair into a curly pin-up similar to this:
http://www.universalsalons.com/styles.asp?StyleLKID=7&StyleID=2119

DivineFavor wore a style similar to this when her hair was shorter.
http://www.universalsalons.com/styles.asp?StyleLKID=7&StyleID=1335
(Check her profile for the album link and password)

I know you mentioned you're medium length; but more specifically, is it ear/chin/neck/shoulder length? Maybe you can smooth the sides and a quick pin-up with a pretty hair clip or claw? Or an upside down french braid that starts at the nape? (It always made my hair look longer although the back was shorter than the rest.)

You can use setting cream/setting lotion/mousse/gel when combing the sides flat and then tie it down at night to avoid brushing.

HTH

LivingDoll

If I can do a bun (see my avi pic and my bun in my fotki)...you can prob do a bun too! :yep: I have layers galore...at first I had to be heavy with the gel but after a few times it started to get easier.

Last edited:

LivingDoll

How about semi-protective styles like a rollerset or a fauxhawk?

Maybe smooth your hair into a curly pin-up similar to this:
http://www.universalsalons.com/styles.asp?StyleLKID=7&StyleID=2119

DivineFavor wore a style similar to this when her hair was shorter.
http://www.universalsalons.com/styles.asp?StyleLKID=7&StyleID=1335
(Check her profile for the album link and password)

I know you mentioned you're medium length; but more specifically, is it ear/chin/neck/shoulder length? Maybe you can smooth the sides and a quick pin-up with a pretty hair clip or claw? Or an upside down french braid that starts at the nape? (It always made my hair look longer although the back was shorter than the rest.)

You can use setting cream/setting lotion/mousse/gel when combing the sides flat and then tie it down at night to avoid brushing.

HTH

I LOVE the first curly pin-up. I'm gonna try that soon. Thanks!

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
If I can do a bun (see my avi pic and my bun in my fotki)...you can prob do a bun too! :yep: I have layers galore...at first I had to be heavy with the gel but after a few times it started to get easier.
I am a UPA Clip-nista! :yep: I even have a photo album in my fotki on it :lol:

LivingDoll

I am a UPA Clip-nista! :yep: I even have a photo album in my fotki on it :lol:

LOL, you know what? When I was researching getting one I looked at your album. I remember the blue band...thanks! You helped me decide. :yep: I think you were in a lot of the UPA Clip threads.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
LOL, you know what? When I was researching getting one I looked at your album. I remember the blue band...thanks! You helped me decide. :yep: I think you were in a lot of the UPA Clip threads.
:grin:Yep that was me and my blue ponytail holder :yep: And yes, I always in the UPA Clip threads upping these ponytails because they are the truth!! I wish I'd thought of them :lol:

redd

Man I ordered one the other day and I am so excited. How long did it take u ladies to recieve your order?

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Man I ordered one the other day and I am so excited. How long did it take u ladies to recieve your order?
It really depends on if they're swamped or not. I've gotten one in about a week and I've also had to wait about a month to get it. I have 3 ponytails so far.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Thanks:grin: okay I am not trying to change this into a UPA clip thread but is it easy to change barettes? (last question)
Yup, it's easy. Although, I usually stick with the black because it's neutral.

ETA:: You're welcome Redd to the below comment :yep: Sorry OP, I didn't mean to highjack your thread. I think you can do all kinds of different and pretty things to your hair with claw clips and hairpins. OH, don't forget HairZings! They are so pretty and versatile too for pretty and protective updos. They are VERY good on medium hair too. They have a little video on their website with a Black women with medium hair doing a cute style too. :yep:

Last edited: