Naturals: Recipe for the perfect shake and go! (It's cheap too!)

alibi

hair bored
Okay, so after being completely natural for almost a year and a half, I've finally perfected the products I need for the perfect shake and go, which is my natural style of choice. :grin: I searched high and low for products that would provide good moisture, low frizz, and great curl definition, and after trying sooooo many expensive products and natural lines that didn't work, I've finally found a cheap combination of products that work perfectly every time! Here's what I use:

1) Pantene S&S
2) Let's Jam! Extra hold gel (the one w/ the orange top)
3) Tresemme Curl Care Curling Mousse
4) Ampro Clear Ice Styling Gel
5) Large shower comb
6) Large towel

Here's what I do:

1) I start by CO washing my hair in the shower with Pantene S&S. I apply A LOT of conditioner (I buy the big bottle from Costco), let it sit while I shower, and my last step is to comb through my hair with a large shower comb while the water is running through it. I try not to wash out all the conditioner, and make sure my hair is SOPPING wet when I get out of the shower (this helps with curl definition).

2) The next step is the apply the Jam gel. I dry off, and hang my sopping head down on a towel that I've already placed on the floor of my bathroom. I first dry my hands on the towel (Jam is hard to scoop with wet ands), get a big glob of gel, and with my head still sopping and hanging down, I squeeze in the jam in a accordian-like manner. I make sure to do this for to the back, middle, and front part of my hair, b/c the Jam gel helps provide the moisture for this style.

3) After the Jam, I apply the curling mousse. With my head still down, I squeeze out a huge puff of mousse, and apply to my hair in the same accordian-like manner as the Jam gel. At this point, my hair is saturated with mousse, and appears white all over. The mouse helps to define my curls.

4) The last thing I apply is the Ampro Ice. Head still down, I scoop out just a palmful of the ampro, rub it together, and squeeze it on the ends only! This helps to keep the ends of my curls together, which can get very frizzy if they start to unravel.

5) My very last step is the pick up the towel that was on the floor, and start squeezing out the excess product with it. At this point I have stood up, but I'm leaning my head to one side or the other as I use the towel to remove the excess product in the same accordian like manner that I applied everything. The last thing I do is shake my head from side to side and go!

This process produces the best curls I've ever had, and it's not time consuming at all! My post is very detailed, but the whole process once I'm out of the shower takes about 3-5 minutes! I've included a pic in my album called "Shake and Go!" sorry I don't know how to post it here! Hope this helps someone!

Last edited:

balisi

Good to see you on the board again, Ayanapooh! Your shake and go looks scrumptious! Looks like we're hair twins, so I will be trying this method. :) I like the volume you get from applying your products with your head upside down. Thanks for sharing!

so1913

It does look good! hmmmm....a new method to try. I'm trying to picture the "accordian manner" you are describing. Sorry, I'm a little slow, lol. You mean applying in layers?

Last edited:

alibi

hair bored
so1913 said:
It does look good! hmmmm....a new method to try. I'm trying to picture the "accordian manner" you are describing. Sorry, I'm a little slow, lol. You mean applying in layers?

I do apply it in layers, but the "accordian manner" I'm referring to is more of squezzing my hair up and down while it's hanging - like scrunching the hair from into my scalp and then letting it fall, and repeating. Does that make sense? :spinning:

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Dang girl, you hair has grown so much! It looks beautiful! I'm happy with my products but I'm gonna have to try that "accordian" method you mention....Thanks for the update!

so1913

ayanapooh said:
I do apply it in layers, but the "accordian manner" I'm referring to is more of squezzing my hair up and down while it's hanging - like scrunching the hair from into my scalp and then letting it fall, and repeating. Does that make sense? :spinning:

Oooooh, I get it!

Cheleigh

ayanapooh said:

Does it increase volume? I have enough volume at the top of my hair, but crazy shrinkage on the sides and back.

sunnygirl

Sunnygirl
That method turned our great on your hair but I would probaly look like a fool if I tried it.:eek:

I am dealing with three diffrent hair textures on my head. I still may give it a try:scratchch

testimony777

Thanks for posting this method. I have been looking for new methods of applying my product. Since my hair has gotten longer it doesn't responds well to my lazy styling techniques anymore :ohwell: :) . I will definitely be trying your method. Oh and your hair is so pretty. I love your curls and your color; I also love the shape of your hair...very pretty.

BeaLady

I love your hair and your color. I'm definately going to try this. Thanks for posting the instructions. :)

alibi

hair bored
Cheleigh said:
Does it increase volume? I have enough volume at the top of my hair, but crazy shrinkage on the sides and back.

It really does increase volume as well, I see a definite difference in the "bigness" of my hair when I do it this way! :yep:

And thanks for the comlpliments on the color ladies! :kiss: It's actually a result of apply highlights that turned out to brassy, then putting a gold Clarol semi-permanent rinse on top to tone down the brassiness. I'm gonna go to the shop to get some professinal highlights this summer though, and stop doing the ish at home! :look:

jasmine26

ayanapooh, i can't see your pics, the link isn't working:(

i can't wait to get a decent haircut so i can try your technique! :)

DragonPearl

Thanks Ayanapooh for sharing this information. I haven't done a shake and go in years; I am always afraid of ending up with a bird's nest. I might try your method. By the way, does this style lasts more than 1 day? Do you have to redo it every morning?

lovelymissyoli

I'm definately going to try this method. Normally I just let water and conditioner run through my head under the showerhead and when I get out I just shake. I usually get results similar to that of my twist-outs. I'll probably try this method, maybe even with these products in two weeks when I take out my box braids because I plan to wear my shake n' go to an event I'm attending.

I'll be sure to let you know how this turns out!

alibi

hair bored
Jessy55 said:
Thanks Ayanapooh for sharing this information. I haven't done a shake and go in years; I am always afraid of ending up with a bird's nest. I might try your method. By the way, does this style lasts more than 1 day? Do you have to redo it every morning?

My shake and go usually lasts 2 days, if I let it go any longer than that, it does start looking like a bird's nest! :lol:

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

This is indeed the best way to do a wash and go. Whenever I wash my hair in the sink with my head facing down followed by shaking and airdrying in the same position (head facing down) after applying my styling products,my curls pop more but when I wash my hair in the shower with my head leaning backwards and then airdry I get waves instead. So I am only going to wash my hair in the shower when I want to pull my hair back in a pony tail/puff so that I don't have to manipulate my hair too much.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Your hair turned out great! That sounds like a great regimine. I"ve been eying that Let's Jam stuff for a while. Did you have a problem with the Ice gel flaking? It flaked on me pretty bad but knowing me I probably used too much.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Hey Ayana :wave: good to see you on the board again and as always with some good info to contribute.

Your shake and go looks great. I like the process and the products...I'll HAVE to give this try one day....
Have you tried the shingling again this length you have? I really loved your shingle results...

ajargon02

ayanapooh said:
Okay, so after being completely natural for almost a year and a half, I've finally perfected the products I need for the perfect shake and go, which is my natural style of choice. :grin: I searched high and low for products that would provide good moisture, low frizz, and great curl definition, and after trying sooooo many expensive products and natural lines that didn't work, I've finally found a cheap combination of products that work perfectly every time! Here's what I use:

1) Pantene S&S
2) Let's Jam! Extra hold gel (the one w/ the orange top)
3) Tresemme Curl Care Curling Mousse
4) Ampro Clear Ice Styling Gel
5) Large shower comb
6) Large towel

Here's what I do:

1) I start by CO washing my hair in the shower with Pantene S&S. I apply A LOT of conditioner (I buy the big bottle from Costco), let it sit while I shower, and my last step is to comb through my hair with a large shower comb while the water is running through it. I try not to wash out all the conditioner, and make sure my hair is SOPPING wet when I get out of the shower (this helps with curl definition).

2) The next step is the apply the Jam gel. I dry off, and hang my sopping head down on a towel that I've already placed on the floor of my bathroom. I first dry my hands on the towel (Jam is hard to scoop with wet ands), get a big glob of gel, and with my head still sopping and hanging down, I squeeze in the jam in a accordian-like manner. I make sure to do this for to the back, middle, and front part of my hair, b/c the Jam gel helps provide the moisture for this style.

3) After the Jam, I apply the curling mousse. With my head still down, I squeeze out a huge puff of mousse, and apply to my hair in the same accordian-like manner as the Jam gel. At this point, my hair is saturated with mousse, and appears white all over. The mouse helps to define my curls.

4) The last thing I apply is the Ampro Ice. Head still down, I scoop out just a palmful of the ampro, rub it together, and squeeze it on the ends only! This helps to keep the ends of my curls together, which can get very frizzy if they start to unravel.

5) My very last step is the pick up the towel that was on the floor, and start squeezing out the excess product with it. At this point I have stood up, but I'm leaning my head to one side or the other as I use the towel to remove the excess product in the same accordian like manner that I applied everything. The last thing I do is shake my head from side to side and go!

This process produces the best curls I've ever had, and it's not time consuming at all! My post is very detailed, but the whole process once I'm out of the shower takes about 3-5 minutes! I've included a pic in my album called "Shake and Go!" sorry I don't know how to post it here! Hope this helps someone!

Out of curioustiy, why are you using so many products?

have you tried just watered down conditioner? In my avatar is a shake and go. Just watered down conditioner, and a little oil mixed in, pulled up w/ phhb,and out the door, total time? 5 min. I did this in the shower. The only extra thing that I had to do was after getting dressed, rolling up the part of the phhb that was showing.