Naturals Help!!! I need MOISTURE!!!!!!

alibi

hair bored
Okay, here's the deal. I've been wearing my hair out a lot lately, basically a shake and go. It looks really nice, and I'm loving the simplicity of the style. But now that I'm not slicking it back and adding my mango butter or kemi oil, my hair is very dry, especially in the middle sections. I need something to moisturize my hair, but I don't want to comb anything through and disturb the curls. Here's my current routine: CO wash with Pantene S&S, rinse, apply Sebastian "Wet" all over in the shower, shake, get out of the shower, and squeeze a bit of Ampro Clear Ice on the ends for hold. I get beautiful curls, but once it's dry, it feels dry, you know? I tried a hot oil treatment yesterday w/ olive oil, which helped a bit, but I think I may need a conditioning treatment or a leave in. I was looking at the Ojon treatment yesterday, but it seems a bit pricey. I'm also considering investing in a steamer. Has anybody else had this problem? PLEASE HELP!!!

natstar

Hey Ayanpooh- I used to do wash and go puffs all the time- (dryness did occur w/me also) Since u don't wanna comb anything in, maybe you can try mixing the sebastians wet with a moisturizer when applying it like Giovvanni Direct Leave in or whatever. Apply it in sections if u don't do so already and see what happens. And with the ampro gel-maybe u can try a different one like IC fantasia. I hope u find something that works.

Cheleigh

Ayanapooh:

I just have to tell you that your hair is gorgeous! :D

I'll let the full naturals give advice about moisture, but I will say that my natural hair needs lots of moisture (like spritzing twice daily, daily leave-in, shower cap at night), and it seems that the Wet may have alcohol, which is contributing to the dryness, I'm guessing.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

I think you should leave a little of the conditioner in after you co wash, apply a leave-in conditioner, moisturizer, gel and then maybe a serum for sheen.

alibi

hair bored
Thanks for the responses ladies! :grin: I think I may try a leave in. :scratchch Any suggestions on a good one? :confused:

ajargon02

ayanapooh said:
Okay, here's the deal. I've been wearing my hair out a lot lately, basically a shake and go. It looks really nice, and I'm loving the simplicity of the style. But now that I'm not slicking it back and adding my mango butter or kemi oil, my hair is very dry, especially in the middle sections. I need something to moisturize my hair, but I don't want to comb anything through and disturb the curls. Here's my current routine: CO wash with Pantene S&S, rinse, apply Sebastian "Wet" all over in the shower, shake, get out of the shower, and squeeze a bit of Ampro Clear Ice on the ends for hold. I get beautiful curls, but once it's dry, it feels dry, you know? I tried a hot oil treatment yesterday w/ olive oil, which helped a bit, but I think I may need a conditioning treatment or a leave in. I was looking at the Ojon treatment yesterday, but it seems a bit pricey. I'm also considering investing in a steamer. Has anybody else had this problem? PLEASE HELP!!!

when I do that, I usually condition wash before hand. I just leave a little conditioner in my hair(before the shake,shake,shake part) and my hair dries really soft. Not rough feeling or anything. My curls are still intact. Then again, I am usually in protective styles(twists, bun or braids) so I don't wear my hair out all that often. ETA: plus I don't use gel of any kind. If I feel so inclined to "add" something else to help my hair lay down, which is a rareity, I will use a little melted shea butter. I tie down my hair w/ a scarf, and that usually layes it down really nice.

Ayeshia

Leaving the actual conditoner that I wash with in has helped A LOT. I usually do it with suave or vo5 since it has no cones. Pantene I would not recommend leaving in though.

I never used gel, only mango butter or once in a blue moon I use this sculpting apple glaze by paul mitchel.

Last edited:

Victorian

old head
Random thoughts:
  • it could be the protein in the gel
  • gels in general make *my* hair dry anyway
  • if you apply your moisturizing products with your fingers, it will disturb your curls less than a comb would
  • what do you do to your hair at night? when I use oil on my hair at night, and do a con wash the next day, I've noticed that my ends seem more moisturized
  • giovanni is a good leave in :)
  • have you tried using just water and a light oil to do your wash n go's? that works best for me.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I have the same probs when I wear a wash and go. I agree with leaving a bit of conditioner in and using a leave in. These have helped me a lot. I use Giovanni Direct leave in mixed with some coconut oil and my hair stays moisturized for most of the day.

OnceUponAtime

ayanapooh said:

That Ampro Clear could be the culprit. I use the Ampro brown protein gel, but only a small amount on wet/damp hair mixed with a little oil or Surge Woojee cream. No hardness, thank goodness, and I've been using it for quite a while now.

My moisture boost was recently was helped by regular Salerm Wheat Germ Mask treatments with heat.

Pookie25

I have natural hair. And what helps moisturize my hair is this new cholesterol condioner from Lekair that has Shea butter in it. I put in on my dry hair at night with a conditioning cap and rinse it off in the morning. My natural hair was managable, moisturized and with no frizz.

balisi

Ayanapooh, I have the same problem with my shake 'n go. I believe it is the products I use for hold and curl definition. I've tried applying castor oil before my styling products, and it seems to help.

alibi

hair bored
You know, I've heard a lot of naturals say they use shea butter, but I've never tried it b/c it's so hard in its natural state, and seems difficult to manipulate. I wonder if it would be moisturizing? I think I need to cut back on the Ampro clear ice too, but I have become addicted to it! :sekret: I don't recall the Fantasia sparklelites being all that spectacular during my transition. :scratchch I really think I need to leave some CO or apply a good leave in. I tried Stay Sof Fro once during my transition as well, but it didn't really do much. :ohwell: Anyways, does everyone use gel on their shake and goes? If not, how do you keep the curl in? I don't want my hair to be frizzy, and it's very prone to frizz!

balisi

ayanapooh said:
You know, I've heard a lot of naturals say they use shea butter, but I've never tried it b/c it's so hard in its natural state, and seems difficult to manipulate. I wonder if it would be moisturizing? I think I need to cut back on the Ampro clear ice too, but I have become addicted to it! :sekret: I don't recall the Fantasia sparklelites being all that spectacular during my transition. :scratchch I really think I need to leave some CO or apply a good leave in. I tried Stay Sof Fro once during my transition as well, but it didn't really do much. :ohwell: Anyways, does everyone use gel on their shake and goes? If not, how do you keep the curl in? I don't want my hair to be frizzy, and it's very prone to frizz!
I sometimes use gel (Fantasia IC--love it) on my shake and go, but it does leave my hair a bit on the crisp side. Curly Pudding does the same thing. However, once my hair dries, I apply some Kiehl's Creme or Aveda Brilliant Cream and it softens the crunch right out, leaving my hair nice and soft to the touch. I don my satin cap for sleeping, and I get beautiful second day hair which requires only a bit of fluffing out with my fingers. I think shea butter would work just as well because you would soften it up in your hands before applying. You could kind of scrunch it in so as not to disturb your curl definition.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I use gel!! But not too much though. I've started using organic gels...I use Aubrey's and Kiss my face. But I was using Fantasia w/sparklelites for the longest time. I found that I could use a smaller amount and get the same results.

As far as the shea butter it is easier to use if you melt it then add a softer butter or oil to it.....I melt shea butter and avocado butter together....when it cools it's a lot easier to handle and I don't get as much shea butter buildup.

Country gal

Pookie25 said:
I have natural hair. And what helps moisturize my hair is this new cholesterol condioner from Lekair that has Shea butter in it. I put in on my dry hair at night with a conditioning cap and rinse it off in the morning. My natural hair was managable, moisturized and with no frizz.

Lekair has really good conditioners. I think people sleep on the product line. I used their deep conditioner when relaxed. My hair was so shiny and soft from using the conditioner.

honeisos

ayanapooh said:

Sounds like you hair needs water.. try a creamy leave in ( I like cantu sheabutter ) and then add the "wet for hold and shine ..